Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Patch for JK.exe::: No Thing Limit!
Patch for JK.exe::: No Thing Limit!
2004-12-17, 7:47 PM #201
I don't have to tell this but Pagewizard, when you get in business people never put you in important place with that attitude, because apparently you **** up the company like that.

You can be all silly as you like for now, but you better start growing up.
2004-12-17, 9:15 PM #202
Hey, just drop the legal thing. If you don't think it's legal, don't download it. This wont affect you. If you feel the urge to warn people of its possible illegality, they already know from the OTHER 3 PAGES of debate. I'm sorry, but this is kinda beating a dead horse. Just let it drop.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-12-17, 10:28 PM #203
Seriously! Laws are fun to break! Everyone needs to just download an MP3 on their pirated operating system of choice while wardriving at least 5 miles over the limit! Not that I've ever done that.... not all at the same time anyway. :rolleyes: So lets all forget about the legal jargon, and pound out more patches!
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2004-12-17, 11:19 PM #204
It's a shame Hideki, of all people, had to pop his head in at this time. Too bad it couldn't have been at a time where you'd be willing to get back into JK, instead of just shun it's editors for their hopes of continuing with their modding.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-12-18, 1:08 AM #205
Quote:
Originally posted by Hideki
I don't have to tell this but Pagewizard, when you get in business people never put you in important place with that attitude, because apparently you **** up the company like that.

:rolleyes:
2004-12-18, 3:51 AM #206
Oh FFS, I get the reply notification in my email and I have more of this to wade through. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyway... Brick (my l33t h4x0r j00 friend :p ) has JK rendering through OpenGL now, but there's still some loose ends to be tied up. (Like making DX not actually calculate and render everything, taking up precious resources) He said he's pretty sure he can get JK to do "Per Pixel Mip Maps" instead of the way JK handles it now. (the way the mip maps just "pop" from one to the next)
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-18, 3:53 AM #207
Quote:
Seriously! Laws are fun to break!

Well, I don't know where you get these kind of thinking.

Enthusiams are important but obviously you can't simply ignore anything else on the path.

By having minority number of negative comments against the usage, I see the range of age or immatureness, so I'm just warning you people for your future.

Seriously, look at all the courts opened for patents, and you just got to pay enormous amount of money just because you felt "who gives crap" or "we're not probably breaking".

No, probably LEC won't come after this for a single patcher for 7 years old game against some teenagers or so, but that doesn't mean, you can say **** the law.

You'll realize when stuff gets messed up in your way, so you'd better act accordingly before **** happens.
2004-12-18, 3:54 AM #208
Hideki, please drop it. I've already said if anyone gets in trouble, it'll be the maker, aka Me, because I'm taking legal responsibilty should LEC show up.
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-18, 3:57 AM #209
I really feel sorry to let you guys down with my comments, personally I like Hell Raiser, you do good in editing.

Of course, everything is up to your choice in life. So, do what your heart tells to. I've put my messages up.

The best thing is just to ask LEC and get it confirmed of legality though, if anyone cares to do.

------ Addition -------
Yeah, I'm dropping it, but one last thing.
You can't just take responsibility like you show up to teachers in school after some incident, laws are much more strict, they come after who did.

Anyhow, I'll stop before you guys start hating me personally. :)
Just wanted to put some warn, since I saw not many.
2004-12-18, 4:06 AM #210
omghideki
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-12-18, 4:59 AM #211
S'all good. :D
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-19, 4:34 PM #212
I'd be amazed if LEC bothered with this thing, but I'm more amazed that anyone else cares. You aren't going to make the game look like a new one. You aren't going to magically make people play it again.
2004-12-19, 4:54 PM #213
Quote:
Originally posted by Hideki
but that doesn't mean, you can say **** the law.

EULAs are not law, and isn't there something in the constitution that says you're allowed to reverse engineer anyway?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-12-19, 5:13 PM #214
There are quite a few court cases regarding the legality of reverse engineering as it applies to the US Constitution. The most popular case comes out of California.
2004-12-19, 6:20 PM #215
So...

We can edit any part of JK then?

Can someone make it so that it will work on my computer again?
2004-12-19, 8:58 PM #216
Quote:
Originally posted by JM
I'd be amazed if LEC bothered with this thing, but I'm more amazed that anyone else cares. You aren't going to make the game look like a new one. You aren't going to magically make people play it again.

And I'm not going to magically give a ****. :rolleyes:
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-19, 9:34 PM #217
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
isn't there something in the constitution that says you're allowed to reverse engineer anyway?
OMG they had computers back in colonial times 0_0

:p
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-12-19, 10:15 PM #218
So how's it going? Any update on fixing the adjoin limit, the sector limit, or even a port to MOTS for me (pretty please)?
2004-12-19, 10:48 PM #219
Quote:
EULAs are not law, and isn't there something in the constitution that says you're allowed to reverse engineer anyway?

Quite true. An eula is essentially a contract, which opens up a bunch of possibilities. When you open up a software box, you can't return it, so you have to agree to the eula or else. This essentially means that you are agreeing under duress, which is equivalent to signing a contract under duress (meaning that you are more or less forced into agreeing) which means that it can be thrown out in court. I heard that someplace.
2004-12-19, 11:12 PM #220
This thread sucks...
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-12-20, 8:44 AM #221
Word. It's growing on me like a fungus.

I'm going to do my best to get ahold of LEC, just so I can put an end to the perpetual bickering... and so we can start with the modding!
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2004-12-20, 8:59 AM #222
If I know fatcat corporations like I do, you won't get past a drone reading from a series of "What if" cards. :p ;)
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-20, 8:59 AM #223
Good luck, but don't tell them where to look for it if they don't allow it ;)
2004-12-20, 9:01 AM #224
Yeah cause you know they'll beat you with their 1337 LEC lawyer force.
2004-12-20, 10:15 AM #225
Let me put it simply. LEC does NOT care. Why? Because there is absolutely no profit from bothering with it, one way, or another. There is no profit margin from JK. It's a 7 year old game. Nor is there any sudden potential profit for us. Does LEC care about the law? No. Oddly enough... corporations don't give a damn about the law. What they care about is profits, and protecting themselves. Are there any potential profits in paying huge sums to lawyers, over a 7-year old game, about a minor limit removal patch? Are they protecting themselves? Is there some great risk that a 7-year old game, with a limit removal patch, could challenge the profit margins of a modern game made on a modern engine?

If you can't figure out the answers to those questions, then you need help... And the answers to those questions should tell you why LEC wouldn't even bother.
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2004-12-20, 10:17 AM #226
LKOH_SniperWolf > * :D
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-20, 4:40 PM #227
How do you hex edit JK.EXE to use Quib Mask's new DLL?
Hitter of the world's first ever frogball
2004-12-20, 6:05 PM #228
Um can you avoid calling us morons please?
2004-12-21, 6:20 PM #229
Quote:
Originally posted by Hell Raiser
LKOH_SniperWolf > * :D
QFT

Indeed, there's nothing to be gained from sueing mr Raiser of Hell (;)), at least, as far as I can see.
2004-12-21, 6:28 PM #230
Man, once again, I wish they'd at least sell[/b] the source code. If I had the money, I'd pay a couple grand for it.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-12-21, 6:33 PM #231
Quote:
Originally posted by Tazz
Man, once again, I wish they'd at least sell the source code. If I had the money, I'd pay a couple grand for it. [/B]
We could all chip in and buy it with a license to distribute it to everyone on massassi :) ... or will it not work that way :(?
2004-12-21, 6:37 PM #232
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Slaw
We could all chip in and buy it with a license to distribute it to everyone on massassi :) ... or will it not work that way :(?

Umm, I think if I had the money, or if we all chipped in, we'd do it to make it open-source. Or just make Massassi a corporation or something and that way Massassi would legally own it.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-12-21, 7:27 PM #233
Hell Raiser any word on a MotS version of this...please, please, please! I'll give you my first born?

And whats the story on spawned things? Is that in fact an issue with the JKL or is the 200 spawned thing limit still in effect?

Awesome news! This is a great thread even if I did have to read through 100 replies arguing about whether LEC gives a rats behind or not.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2004-12-21, 7:48 PM #234
I'll give you El Scorcho's first born too if you release a MOTS version.
2004-12-21, 9:15 PM #235
Wow, that is impressive Hell Raiser. Mad props to your haxor friend... ;)
Author of the JK DataMaster, Parsec, Scribe, and the EditPlus Cog Files.
2004-12-21, 9:51 PM #236
The thing limit is exactly what is listed in the .jkl file in the world things section. By default, when you make a jkl from jed, this will be 200 higher than the number of objects you have placed in the level, which is where you see the usual 200 limit on spawned objects. But if you open up the jkl, you can manually change this number to something higher. That is what you currently have to do in order to allow for more things to be spawned than before.
Air Master 3D (my iPhone game)
My Programming Website
2004-12-21, 10:57 PM #237
SM! Your BACK!!! Welcome home.
2004-12-22, 6:29 PM #238
Quote:
EULAs are not law...
Quite true. However, it is a legally binding contract, once both sides have agreed to the terms. But I think Sniperwolf is exactly right. It would actually cause LEC to lose money to bring nearly any jk-related matter to court.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-12-23, 10:33 AM #239
methinks lec hates us...
Why are girls in german "its"? -Wolfgang
Cause' the german god said so. - Fritz
2004-12-23, 12:44 PM #240
They probably do, but do we care?

I don't. Especially since there's not much that can be done about that.

↑ Up to the top!