Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Patch for JK.exe::: No Thing Limit!
Patch for JK.exe::: No Thing Limit!
2004-12-23, 12:46 PM #241
Yes I'm sure they worry about someone changing a item limit in a 7 year old game. :rolleyes: I think they'ed probably be more mad at the fact that people are still wasting their time on this game instead of trying some of their new products.
2004-12-23, 1:13 PM #242
Ahaha, thats a good point. BUt then they could also find it kinda flattering.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-12-24, 12:53 PM #243
How's it going with the OpenGl .dll files? Did you get it to actually change how JK renders?
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-12-24, 10:24 PM #244
He says:

it works well, but you can't really change much about how jk renders, at least not without using some other mechanism for going around jk, and even then you won't be able to do much

there is a problem with drawing the traditional 2d hud, but it can be fixed by reading the values from jk's memory

overall, the gains from using an opengl renderer aren't too much, aside from maybe the possibility of a slight speedup and potentially running in a window

it can be finished if it needs to be

Basically, the only advantage to continuing the development of it, would be running JK 3d Accel in a window. Not worth the trouble it'll take to get the hud working IMHO.
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-24, 10:35 PM #245
Man, I got all excited when he mentioned possible (but unlikely) bumpmapping/other advancements.
2004-12-25, 7:28 AM #246
MotS version please! :D

Any progress on possibly removing the adjoin limit?
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2004-12-27, 4:39 AM #247
OMGZ, MotS! :D

http://www.hellraiser64.com/Files/motspatcher.zip

He said it only took him 5 minutes this time around, lol! Enjoy! :o
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-27, 5:07 AM #248
!!! sweet! Thank you Hell Raiser and his unnamed accomplice.

Was the top end on things cut back to a more managable level this time? It may have been a fluke, but I used a JKL that had 32000 things defined and the game crashed. If I cut it back to 3200 it worked fine.
-El Scorcho

2004-12-27, 11:39 AM #249
Sweet, mots!

HR, we must speak in private. Get online, foobboy.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-12-28, 5:08 AM #250
Hmmm, 3200? Maybe it's MotS, maybe he did something wrong. It'd suck donkey balls if it was MotS. :(
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-28, 2:06 PM #251
I just tried it with 50201 things, (50000 crates :P) and it worked just fine. Very slow when they are all visible, but not nearly as much of a problem in a real level. Anyway, maybe it is something to do with the particular item you had so many of, perhaps things more complex (involving cogs or something else) may hit some other type of resource limit. Hopefully just a fluke or MotS just decided to explode :)
Air Master 3D (my iPhone game)
My Programming Website
2004-12-28, 3:49 PM #252
Quote:
Originally posted by Sige
I just tried it with 50201 things, (50000 crates :P) and it worked just fine. Very slow when they are all visible, but not nearly as much of a problem in a real level. Anyway, maybe it is something to do with the particular item you had so many of, perhaps things more complex (involving cogs or something else) may hit some other type of resource limit. Hopefully just a fluke or MotS just decided to explode :)

try it with explosive barrels, and then try shooting one. :cool:
2004-12-28, 5:10 PM #253
50000 explosive barrels? Now that's just a Bad Idea. :P
My Programming Website
2004-12-28, 5:17 PM #254
It was probably just a fluke. I'd been screwing around with it for awhile in the morning so I might have just messed something else up. It was just a converted version of that manfan.gob level posted in the showcase forum.

There does appear to be some kind of limit with active AI's or something though. After a certain number of them are created, all the rest are brain dead. They can only stand there and die. This of course isn't a big deal, but there is some kind of limit. I don't know of an easy way to test whether an AI file is active or not. I'll have to check it out when I get home.
-El Scorcho

2004-12-28, 5:41 PM #255
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what about the dynamic light limit? You can only have like 16 dynamic light entities at a time that work properly. Any way to remove that? :o
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-12-28, 6:17 PM #256
I might've missed it, but might it also be possible then to increase the texture size limit? It really bites that it happens to be only 256x256 pixels. For performance reasons, I'd rather be able to use a 1024x1024 texture (which modern graphics cards can support) rather than 16 surfaces with 256x256 each, particularly if this is meant to be a repeated pattern, whetere the surface count would go from 1 to potentially the hundreds...

...Now, if only the portal based code could be hacked so my sphere-mapping technique could actually be usefull...
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-12-28, 6:36 PM #257
lol why don't you just edit JO :p
2004-12-28, 7:09 PM #258
Well, that's EASILY fixed with the flicker cog.

What I'd really like fixed is the above mentioned AI limit. That'd stomp out any dreams I had for this patch.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-12-28, 7:43 PM #259
Sounds like it'd be feasable to have an AI generator cog where ever possible.
-Hell Raiser
2004-12-30, 9:32 PM #260
YAY IT'S OUT!!!

Just downloaded it, but can't test it just yet.
2005-01-03, 4:36 AM #261
Did somebody ask for no HOM in their levels no matter how many sectors are viewable? :D

http://www.hellraiser64.com/Files/jkpatcher2.zip
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-03, 4:45 AM #262
:eek:
2005-01-03, 5:38 AM #263
Woah! So the adjoin limit has been solved now too! Was it that much harder for your friend to seek out and solve that one?

....eh-hem....MotS!
-El Scorcho

2005-01-03, 5:39 AM #264
Ooh! Great job :)

Awsome.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-03, 5:41 AM #265
I really don't think it took that long for him to isolate the problem code. We were talking about it yesterday afternoon, then I see a link to the patcher this morning. :)

It seems like the more he messes with JK.exe, the more he knows it like the back of his hand. ;)
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-03, 7:18 AM #266
Oooooooh very interesting. I'll have to try that out tommorrow.
2005-01-03, 7:37 AM #267
Uhm... no adjoin limit?

O ..................... M ............................ G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-03, 7:45 AM #268
This thing makes it so you can have up to 5000 sectors visible before you get the old hom. Jk will probably hit a different resource limit before then though, I could only get jk to load a level with somewhere over 4500 sectors.
My Programming Website
2005-01-03, 7:45 AM #269
Ah a truely golden age of editting we live in.
2005-01-03, 8:44 AM #270
This will allow for GOOD outdor maps....
Why are girls in german "its"? -Wolfgang
Cause' the german god said so. - Fritz
2005-01-03, 9:05 AM #271
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
Ah a truely golden age of editting we live in.

Erm... not really.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-01-03, 9:14 AM #272
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaporlinx
This will allow for GOOD outdor maps....

Not necessarily. Generally, the best outdoor maps are made entirely from 3DOs, especially now that we can use HellCat's terrain generator. Now that the thing limit has been crushed, this method is already pefect, so in many ways the "sector" has been rendered obsolete, at least in terms of outdoor levels (talk to Friend14 if you don't believe me).
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-01-03, 9:22 AM #273
3do based terrain is used because sector terrain quickly hits the adjoin limit and also creates a signifigant framerate hit for more complex terrain.

This does opens the door for it to be possible to make standard sector terrain, with all of its advantages (better lighting, vastly increased potential for manupulation of surfaces, etc) However, there's still framerate issues which may or may not be a concern for some people.

3do terrain offers good frame rates at the cost of some features of the JK engine. (Can 3do terrain be lit decently by dynamic lights?)

The important thing is, new doors in editing are opened. For simple outdoor areas, I'd continue to use sectors. For large, complex outdoor areas I'd continue to use 3dos for framerate reasons. But for moderately complex out areas where once 3dos were the only option, I might consider using sectors now.
-El Scorcho

2005-01-03, 6:29 PM #274
OMFG:eek: You mean I can actually finish my map now without trying to figure out how to get rid of all those blasted HOMs!?

This, in conjunction with Sige's new Lighter plugin, will allow for some sweet lookin maps.... with very little 3do's
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2005-01-03, 6:34 PM #275
holy ****.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-03, 7:16 PM #276
Wow, JK editing is really starting to pick up now that some people with real programming knowledge came in and starting doing something about the problems we've had for years.

It's just too bad this didn't happen five years ago. All the talent back...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-03, 7:17 PM #277
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Wow, JK editing is really starting to pick up now that some people with real programming knowledge came in and starting doing something about the problems we've had for years.

It's just too bad this didn't happen five years ago. All the talent back...

Unfortunately, that observation is very true . . . :(
2005-01-03, 7:25 PM #278
I agree. It'd be nice if some of the oldies were still around to fool with these new techniques. Hopefully we'll be able to see some more expansions to JK's limits. Maybe vertices/surfaces and such for 3DOs? Maybe a way to let JK talk to external devices for saving hardcoded information so that we can have RPG characters and better loaders.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-03, 9:16 PM #279
...and perhaps MP3s? That would be wonderful. You can reduce the filesize more than 10-fold by converting *.wavs into *.mp3s. It would be very valuable to editors such as Wolfy who have large projects such as LoaM and, which has lots of dialogue. He could reduce LoaM 2 by over half most likely, and that's a big deal when you're talking about 20+ MBs files on a dial-up connection!
2005-01-03, 9:36 PM #280
in the past i have gotten much better results with sectors than 3dos but i havnt tried to make anything bigger than about 5 jkus...
Could you give me a link to the terrain generator ( ive been sitting here cutting surfaces into thousands of tiny little bits)
Why are girls in german "its"? -Wolfgang
Cause' the german god said so. - Fritz

↑ Up to the top!