Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything TV
Anything TV
2019-07-21, 11:02 AM #521
I want it to be good.
former entrepreneur
2019-07-21, 12:22 PM #522
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I don't think it's necessary to watch the show in order. I think it's perfectly fine to pick out some of the best regarded episodes, maybe watch those from earliest to latest, and then watch others as time permits.

Yeah, that's what I did (using something like this, with a cutoff threshold of minimum rating), but Jon`C WOULDN'T LET ME

P.S.: guess which episodes the writers were on strike on that graph
2019-07-21, 1:01 PM #523
I picked up a couple collections a long time ago. Borg and Klingon I think because those episodes were among my favorite and there was no way I was going to buy full sets back then, this was before streaming was much of a thing. I could tell I was missing a few I wished were in there but it was a good way to get a lot of good ones. The Captain and Time Travel sets didn't interest me that much so I didn't pick those up.

Anyway, I only made the suggestion because there are so many episodes. If you've got the desire, sure, watch 'em all in order. Still, it seems like it's easier to tolerate the weaker episodes if you don't have to endure so many at one time and without already having grown attached to the characters.

I was just thinking, since some here don't like what's been done with new Trek and Star Wars how we would have felt if we were so fond of original Battlestar Galactica when they completely changed it for the reboot. I know many don't like some aspects of the newer show but even the controversial and weaker aspects don't bother me at all. I like the original for what it is but I love the reboot. Too bad they bailed on Caprica just as that show was starting to get interesting.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2019-07-21, 3:55 PM #524
The Battlestar Galactica reboot had the benefit of never being done before. Grimdark sci fi was a novelty. Unfortunately it became too successful, and everybody else had to do BSG as well.

Stargate Universe is still some of the dumbest TV I’ve ever watched, for what little of it I could get through.
2019-07-21, 4:18 PM #525
Originally posted by Eversor:
I want it to be good.

Same, if they do it well I'll be happy.
2019-07-21, 4:49 PM #526
Originally posted by Reid:

But in Drive it seems to serve a purpose. Blue for vehicle interior lighting, orange for incandescent street lights. Looks pretty cool for a few scenes. Wouldn't want a whole show with this kind of color grading, but it works for a one-off film.

Too old to die young mafukka

Also:

Has this been discussed yet?

Epstein didn't kill himself.
2019-07-21, 7:01 PM #527
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Stargate Universe is still some of the dumbest TV I’ve ever watched, for what little of it I could get through.

What did you think of Babylon 5? I think I've tried a time or two to watch it and I don't remember getting through one episode. I planned on watching Stargate. Not sure if I finished an episode of that either. Truth be told I don't really care for the film much either. I think I used to like it but the last time I watched it I thought it was a little too silly with the scientist character and some giant animal things.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2019-07-21, 7:07 PM #528
Originally posted by Spook:
Too old to die young mafukka

Also:

Has this been discussed yet?

I think it might have been brought up some time back but not sure. Definitely looking forward to that one. I picked up the novelization of the film last year to read with my son but I've not kept up with that. I need to get started again. Anyway, apparently Henson really wanted some things fleshed out in the book so it is supposed to be very good. It's an interesting book too and one of I think three Henson novelizations.

2019-07-21, 8:49 PM #529
What did you think of Babylon 5? I think I've tried a time or two to watch it and I don't remember getting through one episode. I planned on watching Stargate. Not sure if I finished an episode of that either. Truth be told I don't really care for the film much either. I think I used to like it but the last time I watched it I thought it was a little too silly with the scientist character and some giant animal things.

Babylon 5 was good. It was originally planned to be 5 seasons plus a successor series called Babylon Prime, which could have been amazing except the original main character got schizophrenia IRL so they had to change the main arc after already foreshadowing all of this in season 1. Then it got mock cancelled after season 4, so they packed the replanned seasons 4 and 5 into one season along with a pretty comprehensive epilogue episode. And then it was suddenly renewed for a fifth season which they filled with... uh, filler. But despite these setbacks it still manages to be good.

They also tried to make a spinoff series called Crusade. Some of those episodes are really good! But most of them are bad, because the producers had no clue what they wanted and they retooled the entire series halfway through. They ended up airing the episodes out of order to make them somewhat coherent plot-wise, but leaving major plot holes and tone shifts behind. It’s basically like Firefly only even more mismanaged and nobody cared about it. There have been other movies and spinoffs since then but they were similarly mismanaged (Legend of the Rangers, for example, is good for very little except a laugh).

So, yeah. Basically just a big ball of mismanagement by TNT.

Stargate SG-1 is amazing from seasons 1 through 6 or so. Atlantis season 1 and the first couple of episodes of season 2 are good. The movie is probably skippable, but it does establish the conflict - so maybe worth revisiting once you like the characters. It’s basically Star Trek except the main characters are modern day special forces. Easily one of the best sci fi series ever made, way up there with TNG.
2019-07-21, 8:58 PM #530
I will earnestly try to give Babylon 5 a chance then. I remember when it started and the big deal about the CG but I wasn't able to watch the show at the time. I'm guessing I would have felt different about it if I had.

A few years ago I think I looked at what was supposed to be chronologically the first SG show and I may have watched one complete episode. I don't remember not liking it.

2019-07-28, 12:42 AM #531
TNG is good. I didn't realize just how many episodes there were. This is a mighty time investment, but it's good. And I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, which people say apparently isn't even all that great!
2019-07-28, 1:31 AM #532
Before I have any more context to have an opinion, what do you all think of the new Star Trek announcement? Sounds like it's fan servicey, and in this era of endless terrible reboots and nostalgia baiting I'm offput by the suggestion.
2019-07-28, 1:38 AM #533
I made the mistake of searching for opinion about it online. Now I know Star Wars and Star Trek fandoms are 100% exactly the same.

I can't even find a single consistent opinion. Everyone seems willing to attack and defend everything Star Trek. I don't get it.
2019-07-28, 8:49 AM #534
Before I have any more context to have an opinion, what do you all think of the new Star Trek announcement? Sounds like it's fan servicey, and in this era of endless terrible reboots and nostalgia baiting I'm offput by the suggestion.

Are you talking about this? It's what started the conversation that led you to TNG. If you're talking about something else I have no idea.

2019-07-28, 11:33 AM #535
Sounds like it's fan servicey

♫ Captain Jean-Luc Picard, of the USS Enterprise ♫

[/I]
2019-07-28, 1:02 PM #536
Are you talking about this? It's what started the conversation that led you to TNG. If you're talking about something else I have no idea.

Yes.
2019-07-28, 1:44 PM #537
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:

[/I]

That made me gay.
former entrepreneur
2019-07-28, 7:07 PM #538
Yes.

Well, I think it looks interesting. Not interesting enough to get me to subscribe to another streaming service "interesting" though. Fan service doesn't bother me. I'm so used to new material from classic franchises crapping all over the fans that it's nice to feel appreciated every once in a while.

2019-08-06, 9:47 AM #539
So, I just finished the first season of Discovery (no, I didn't subscribe :ninja:). I don't hate it. Actually I like it so far but I'm also not a hard-core trekie. Oddest thing is the Klingon appearance which reminds me of first seeing The Motion Picture where a radical new look was introduced.

2019-08-06, 10:34 AM #540
They look a lot like the Abrams Klingons, which isn't a surprise because Discovery is 100% slavishly following in the footsteps of JJ's movies. Which, I mean, I like, as movies. One of them, anyway.
2019-08-06, 11:40 AM #541
Originally posted by Eversor:
That made me gay.

I'll make it permanent for you then. :P

(Special note to Reid: spoilers abound so be sure to finish the series before watching ;) )

2019-08-06, 12:07 PM #542
Originally posted by saberopus:
They look a lot like the Abrams Klingons, which isn't a surprise because Discovery is 100% slavishly following in the footsteps of JJ's movies. Which, I mean, I like, as movies. One of them, anyway.

I was thinking that, especially with the lens flare in at least the first episode although I seem to recall hearing somewhere that they were adamant Discovery is set in the regular, I believe (so-)called "prime", timeline. I don't know nor really care. I guess forty years of fiddling around with Trek cannon makes these huge departures easier to take.

2019-08-06, 12:21 PM #543
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
I'll make it permanent for you then. :P

(Special note to Reid: spoilers abound so be sure to finish the series before watching ;) )

hubba hubba

he's like a not-funny and bald steve martin
former entrepreneur
2019-08-06, 1:18 PM #544
I was thinking that, especially with the lens flare in at least the first episode although I seem to recall hearing somewhere that they were adamant Discovery is set in the regular, I believe (so-)called "prime", timeline. I don't know nor really care. I guess forty years of fiddling around with Trek cannon makes these huge departures easier to take.

Oh yeah, I just mean the production design, visual style, tone, story focus, etc. footsteps of the Abrams movies.
2019-12-18, 3:02 PM #545
Have any of you seen the good place? It feels like it should have been an anime
2019-12-18, 3:15 PM #546

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism
2019-12-18, 4:58 PM #547
Yeah thats my favorite part but I talked to some people about it and they laughed at me like that wasnt obviously the thesis of the show.
2019-12-18, 7:49 PM #548
“the system isn’t the problem”
“its just a few bad apples”
2019-12-18, 7:53 PM #549
“my favourite flavour is Louis Vuitton but honestly the best part of a Carhartt is all of the stuff they’ve stepped in”
2020-01-12, 7:27 PM #550
Nearing the end of the first season of Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime. We like it.

2020-01-13, 7:47 AM #551

I find The Good Place a bit odd in that I've watched the whole thing since it started and it's fine, as in it's pleasant enough to watch, but I genuinely can't remember ever outright laughing at it. I notice people talking about it online as if it's hilarious and I'm not sure why.

Also Jameela Jamil is in it and that will never not be odd to me.
nope.
2020-01-17, 5:18 PM #552
But she's conventionally attractive and yells at everyone to be more inclusive.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2020-01-18, 10:31 AM #553
I went snowboarding yesterday and some idiot brought some type of horn and was blowing The Mandalorian theme honk over and over. All day. All over the mountain. And in the lodge.
2020-01-18, 10:38 AM #554
Did you disintegrate him?
2020-01-18, 11:25 AM #555
NO disintegrations!

2020-01-22, 12:04 PM #556
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
But she's conventionally attractive and yells at everyone to be more inclusive.

She was also a tv presenter on Channel 4 on Sunday mornings/BBC radio DJ and was never an actress but now she's on American TV for some reason.
nope.
2020-01-24, 10:08 AM #557
I liked the first episode of Picard and I'm happy everyone's tv dad is back.
nope.
2020-01-24, 10:14 AM #558
i watched 15 mins last night then fell asleep.

but picard is deffo tv grandpa now
2020-01-24, 11:43 AM #559
He's always been old enough to be my tv grandpa.

Still tv dad.
nope.
2020-02-20, 4:57 AM #560
Praise the Lord, it is finally possible to deactivate the automatic preview in Netflix!

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1225506511184703493
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!