Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything TV
Anything TV
2017-10-30, 4:12 PM #121
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Personally I think the tail end of season 2 is where it actually kicks off.

The plot definitely ramps up, but I found the first two seasons.. I don't know, more Picaresque? It felt to me more honest to life, later seasons built up into an epic showdown where the plot boiled down more to a bunch of "epic moments" instead of interesting character development.
2017-10-30, 4:25 PM #122
Originally posted by Reid:
The plot definitely ramps up, but I found the first two seasons.. I don't know, more Picaresque? It felt to me more honest to life, later seasons built up into an epic showdown where the plot boiled down more to a bunch of "epic moments" instead of interesting character development.

I read this at least six times before I realized you weren't describing Kevin Spacey raping a 14 year old.

I'm horrified because I had always assumed that when I found out Kevin Spacey had come out I would be excited about my chances with him, but this... This kind of kills the fantasy.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2017-10-30, 5:13 PM #123
Too old?
2017-10-30, 7:06 PM #124
It seems that gay men aren't at all pleased with Spacey coming out like this. I think they are right.
2017-10-30, 7:08 PM #125
And apparently, this is something of a pattern (2015) for him.
2017-10-30, 7:32 PM #126
I guess Seth MacFarlane knew about Spacey...

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/924869139059134464
2017-10-30, 7:47 PM #127
Damn.

[quote=I'm Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today!]
Kevin Spacey himself weaponized gay panic and the closet to find his victims. It is the same mechanism for any pedophile, you find the community that will honor you and disbelieve your victims (and will encourage silence in your victims). Then he used the ace card he's kept in his pocket this entire time, and weaponized the closet, gay panic, and coming out to deflect responsibility when the first accusation fell. He started by targeting young men and boys in the theater community in New York during the AIDS crisis. Throughout his entire career he's kept alive the fallacy that "privacy" is the respected answer for gay actors who would rather "concentrate on the work." He purposefully sought out vulnerable victims, ensured their silence, turned the media machine to applaud him for his 'discretion,' and repeated these actions for decades. He is craven in a way that people haven't even begun to deal with yet.

As for who knew what when - just listen to someone who worked in the West End at the same time as Spacey.
[/quote]

http://www.metafilter.com/170286/Move-over-Harvey-Weinstein-Its-Kevin-Spaceys-Turn#7212815
2017-10-31, 11:35 AM #128
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Too old?

I'm not into blondes.
2017-10-31, 3:58 PM #129
The Spacey thing is just terrible. First, he didn't even really come out as gay. He wrote that he's currently choosing to live as a gay man. I thought you're born that way. Which is it? Absolute non denial and then a political apology. 'If I actually did that, which I'm not saying I did, I really owe him an apology.' And on the notion of politics, which due to House of Cards inevitably comes to mind, look how he's running head first into the accusation. Pretty sure we've seen in HoC and plenty of other shows don't deny it, embrace, acknowledge, apologize, frame it how you want it to be framed.

I've always thought Spacey was a good actor but there is so much about the character of characters he's played that seem to be real reflections of him.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-10-31, 4:26 PM #130
American Beauty?
2017-10-31, 5:15 PM #131
Frank Underwood?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-10-31, 5:37 PM #132
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
American Beauty?

Nevermind. I haven't even seen that movie. But reading by the plot summary, I don't think I'd like it now. I guess what people don't like about it (in light of recent revelations) is the statuatory rape fantasies.
2017-10-31, 6:22 PM #133
I watched it fairly recently. I enjoyed the film more and related to it more now than I did when it was new.

2017-10-31, 6:26 PM #134
Interesting. It seems to be one of the most polarizing movies around (perhaps only second to Zardoz). Maybe I'd like it.
2017-10-31, 7:08 PM #135
It's an offensive movie. That isn't always a bad thing. I think a lot of people like being outraged by stuff. If you're conservative it's probably easy to find something to be outraged by in the film. There's plenty, particularly for aging men, to relate to in the film.

2017-10-31, 7:15 PM #136
That makes sense. I'll watch it one of these days with an open mind.
2017-11-01, 7:38 AM #137
Originally posted by Wookie06:
He wrote that he's currently choosing to live as a gay man. I thought you're born that way. Which is it?

It depends, if you grew up religious you are probably gay because of trauma, but if you don't have any serious kinks you were probably born that way.

But yeah the spacemaster seems to have taken method acting waaaaaaay too far.
2017-11-01, 8:30 AM #138
Probably why there is so much homosexuality in the Muslim world.

2017-11-01, 9:21 AM #139
how much is there
2017-11-01, 9:57 AM #140
Originally posted by saberopus:
how much is there

Half as much as everywhere else because only the bottom is considered gay.

[h=1]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)[/h]
2017-11-01, 1:02 PM #141
I've never researched what it takes to actually get stoned or thrown off a building, though. Maybe you have to be unmarried.

2017-11-01, 3:13 PM #142
Originally posted by Spook:
Half as much as everywhere else because only the bottom is considered gay.

[h=1]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)[/h]

gad damng
2017-11-01, 3:20 PM #143
You know, I really liked House of Cards. In the end, I think the way, what has turned out to be, the last season ended is pretty fitting.

2017-11-03, 6:15 PM #144
Friends and I are taking a break from The Wire to watch Stranger Things. Really like it so far.
2017-11-03, 11:50 PM #145
Originally posted by Reid:
Friends and I are taking a break from The Wire to watch Stranger Things. Really like it so far.

And no that's not only cuz of the 80's synthwave soundtrack. tho that ****in helps.
2017-11-04, 6:27 AM #146
Breaking Bad is going well. About half way through S4, and I must admit that while I am enjoying the show, I am finding the descent of Walter White into power hungry ******* a little too blunt. Other characters are really, really shining though.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-11-04, 1:24 PM #147
Well, you've made it this far into breaking bad. When you feel so inclined there are many cool little "tricks" employed. I don't remember them all but I know there was something going on with the episodes around the time of the plane accident. Episode titles and such work together. Things to check out when you finish.

We also started Stranger Things recently. We kind of needed a show for the family to watch together. We haven't had one since we finished Last Man Standing.

2017-11-05, 2:53 AM #148

The realest scene though.
2017-11-05, 6:17 PM #149
╱╱┏╮
╱╱┃┃
▉━╯┗━╮
▉┈┈┈┈┃
▉╮┈┈┈┃
╱╰━━━╯

2017-11-05, 8:38 PM #150
Do yourselves a favor and skip season two of stranger things. It's tedious and disjointed. A tremendous waste of time and a missed opportunity.

Instead, watch Justified, The Americans, Person of Interest, and/or Black Sails. They're all excellent programs.
2017-11-05, 10:18 PM #151
Originally posted by Wookie06:
╱╱┏╮
╱╱┃┃
▉━╯┗━╮
▉┈┈┈┈┃
▉╮┈┈┈┃
╱╰━━━╯

is that a water bottle
2017-11-06, 6:45 PM #152
Originally posted by Steven:
Do yourselves a favor and skip season two of stranger things. It's tedious and disjointed. A tremendous waste of time and a missed opportunity.

Instead, watch Justified, The Americans, Person of Interest, and/or Black Sails. They're all excellent programs.

I already watched it. I didn't hate it, but I agree it was not done as well as season one. They wrapped up the end of the season well, and that reveal teasing us for a possible season three wasn't crazy enough for me to feel strongly. In other words, I could take a season three or not and wouldn't mind.

I need to watch The Americans, but that will be after I finish The Wire I think.
2017-11-06, 7:49 PM #153
I started watching the most recent season of The Americans as it aired but I just couldn't do it that way. It's out on Amazon Prime so I'll catch up soon. We're most of the way through Stranger Things 2 at this point. We watched the first episode of the second season of The Man in the High Castle but my wife didn't watch the first season so I might just reboot that whole thing. We also started the third season of Fear the Walking Dead today.

Definitely second Justified. I absolutely love that show.

2017-11-07, 10:27 AM #154
I only watched the first three episodes of Fear the Walking Dead. They were terrible. I assume it got better, but I can't bring myself to watch it again. The regular Walking Dead has had it's bad episodes and even whole seasons, but I've already watched too many to give up now. I guess I don't believe in sunk costs.
2017-11-07, 6:56 PM #155
Meh, I resisted it for quite awhile. Actually, I think it's one of those shows I watched part of the first episode before getting back to. Once I got back to it I enjoyed it for what it is. I mean, the entire season of most shows are easily watchable in less than a week. But, to be fair, it isn't bad. It's just not what we wanted it to be. Hell, maybe there'll be another spin off.

2017-11-07, 10:43 PM #156
It just seemed like an annoying family drama with some hints of an apocalypse in the background. I found myself wishing some of the main characters would be killed right away.
2017-11-08, 10:47 PM #157
Also, if you have Amazon Prime, try watching Comrade Detective. It's hilarious. A lot of foul language and some nudity, though, so be mindful of who is watching.
2017-11-18, 9:41 AM #158
Punisher was p. good.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2017-11-18, 10:00 AM #159
I think that's the next one. Then probably the most recent The Americans and Man in the High Castle.

2017-11-18, 10:01 AM #160
Originally posted by Steven:
It just seemed like an annoying family drama with some hints of an apocalypse in the background. I found myself wishing some of the main characters would be killed right away.

Funny, though, now they have no problem killing main characters in a pretty casual manner.

↑ Up to the top!