Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight issues
Jedi Knight issues
2012-04-27, 3:57 PM #201
You could try Evolve, it supports JK apparently: https://www.evolvehq.com/games/718
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-27, 4:27 PM #202
Originally posted by Emon:
You could try Evolve, it supports JK apparently: https://www.evolvehq.com/games/718

Yeah, but how the guys play straight through the ip does not make much difference.
Moreover, with the tips here I was able to play.
Thanks.
2012-04-30, 5:08 AM #203
Originally posted by Shred18:
Hey, I ran into this same problem recently, when I installed another Nvidia videocard, and the drivers for it. It is strictly a drivers issue, I had to download a much older version of the drivers, then uninstall the current nvidia drivers from my system and install the old ones from scratch in order to fix it. I downloaded and installed multiple drivers before finding one that worked. The drivers I finally installed were for an NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS Driver version 6.14.12.6089, and Driver date 10/8/2010. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I figure it is a driver issue. I never could get ones that worked so I went ahead and played the game without the mod or enhanced graphics. It was still fun!

Then I started in on MOTS and ran into weirdness when the cut-scenes went super-fast, but turning off sound acceleration worked to fix it. So far so good!
2012-05-04, 2:16 PM #204
Does anybody know how to enable 1920x1080 resolution? The highest widescreen resolution I can get is 1280x800 I think.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-05-04, 4:30 PM #205
It's always been able to use all of the resolutions that windows detects in my experience, I've run it in 1080 before.
2012-05-05, 5:10 PM #206
^this

my monitor only supports up to 1440x900 but the game runs superbly.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-05-05, 9:33 PM #207
Originally posted by Alan:
^this

my monitor only supports up to 1440x900 but the game runs superbly.

I might be misunderstanding what you guys are talking about, but my monitor is natively 1080p.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-05-06, 9:30 AM #208
I have no experience running anything (ever) in 1080, sorry.
2012-05-30, 7:40 PM #209
Originally posted by Tibby:
5. I have steam JK and those won't work.
Steam JK is the patched version 1.01 that nobody ever used and nothing is properly programmed for.
Use this useful patch from The_Mega_ZZTer to revert to 1.0

Just to clarify as it didn't directly state in the opening post (And no sorry I didn't read the rest of the thread), but I'm assuming this also applies to the Steam version of MotS, correct (Though it doesn't require JK to be installed to play)?
2012-06-12, 1:55 PM #210
MoTS never got a patch as far as I know, so it doesn't need to be downgraded. Although I suppose you have to replace the steam .exe, not sure how other then "finding" a retail one.
2012-09-06, 7:47 AM #211
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
hrmmm ok, i am having what sounds like a similar problem as Chewbubba initially had. when i turn on 3d acceleration the screen goes black. i can still hear music and walking and blaster fire and such, just cant see anything.

already tried -Windowgui command line thing and the ddraw.dll fix, but no luck. any advice???

I'm having the same issue and didn't see a resolution on this thread. I've tried all the steps in the first post (including placing ddraw.dll in my JK/MotS folders), as far as I'm aware, and have perused the Steam and JKHub forums.

Steam JK/MotS (I reverted JK to 1.00 using MZZT's app)
Windows 8
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti x2 (SLI)
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600

Any ideas? Thanks!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-09-06, 11:15 PM #212
Is it ddraw.dll or the fixed ddraw.dll?
2012-09-07, 7:11 AM #213
It's the ddraw.dll available for download on the home page of http://jkhub.net/.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-09-07, 7:43 AM #214
Have you tried completely disabling SLI?
2012-09-09, 9:11 AM #215
Yes, still no luck :(
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-09-09, 10:53 AM #216
This is an x64 system. I'm able to get JK to render without 3D acceleration, but can't get it to render with 3D acceleration (which I'll need to play levels with 16 bit MATs).
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-09-09, 11:46 AM #217
I'm running an x64 system as well and it displays all right on mine

here's my settings: http://i.imgur.com/iiuhX.png
2012-09-10, 12:24 AM #218
That's exactly how my display settings page looks, too.
I've also tried creating a VM using VirtualBox, but JK won't recognize my graphics card (by contrast, Half Life works).
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-09-10, 5:33 AM #219
It has to be something very specific to your PC, because I'm running even newer hardware than you are, and I don't have this issue (GTX 680, i7-3770k, 64-bit Win7). Where did you put the ddraw.dll? Also, when's the last time it worked, and what changed since?
2012-09-10, 7:32 AM #220

I put ddraw.dll in the same folder as JK.exe

It has never worked on this PC. I always ran JK on an older laptop, but for a variety of reasons, that laptop is no longer usable. I could buy the parts to make the laptop usable; however, I'd strongly prefer to just be able to play JK on my regular-use PC.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-09-10, 8:38 AM #221
Despite the function rarely working in any other situation, with JK I managed to fix the remaining problems I had just by running it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Shrug.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-10-23, 1:48 AM #222
Has there been a fix found for this problem other than rolling back to a previous driver release?

This is on a clean install with a nvidia 9800 GT with latest drivers on windows XP 32bit fully updated.

If rolling back to an old driver is the only way to fix it, I suppose it's what needs to be done. This computer isn't built for modern gaming or anything, but if a fix is available that doesn't require a rollback, I'd rather go that route.
2012-11-01, 12:18 PM #223
jk doesn't work with win8 because the ddraw.dll fix doesn't work, just fyi everybody.
windows 8 is a piece of **** so the chances of this getting fixed are slim to none, maybe in 9 though.
for jks 20th anniversary: Windows 9 compatability!
also are you using the ddraw.dll fix person above me
2012-11-05, 8:37 AM #224
Originally posted by Tibby:
windows 8 is a piece of **** so the chances of this getting fixed are slim to none, maybe in 9 though.
for jks 20th anniversary: Windows 9 compatability!

I think this is probably the most useless thing you've said, you miserable **** of a person.
2012-11-06, 7:59 PM #225
After changing my monitor to a 1920x1080 LCD from the previous setup of a 1280x768 CRT, I now get "Could not load level" whenever trying to load any of my quicksaves or manual saves. I can start a new game and it launches the first level, but I can't load my saves from that point. I have 13.5 hours in my saves already, so I don't want to start from scratch. The cutscene page gives an "insert disc 2" popup every time, but I only include this as a way of possibly diagnosing the problem. Steam recently updated the file format, but it only downloaded 1.5MB during the update. I have all of the mods installed that I had previously (retexturized, enhanced), that I documented in the video that followed the instructions of jkhub and massassi. I've been referring everyone that has had an issue running the mods to the massassi temple forums and jkhub, so I'm hoping that you might be able to help me with this issue. I'm still planning on making a video on how to get multiplayer running, and want to update the jk enhanced video on installing the mods, but until I figure out how to help the viewers of the previous video with the problems they've been having, it seems like releasing a new instructional video would be ignoring the problems. Sacred{{{G}}} recommended uninstalling JK and reinstalling it without the mods, as well as never installing any of the mods I currently have installed, but I need to know how to uninstall it aside from Steam's "delete local content." I can always install the patches, textures, and mods after I get it running again (although it may require restarting the level I'm on due to the texture indexing, I'm on level 10, but I just finished level 9, so that wouldn't be a problem). Thanks for any help you can give.
2012-11-06, 9:31 PM #226
Steam stores all the games in steamdir/steamapps/common.
so find jedi knight, backup the saves from inside, and then just delete the game folder. Now tell steam to verify game cache and it'll redownload it from scratch.
2012-11-07, 3:26 PM #227
I moved the "star wars jedi knight" folder to the desktop, and redownloaded the files from Steam. I started a new profile, made a save, closed out of the game, and loaded that save successfully. I then copied the old saves folder into "player," and tried to load one of the old save files. The same "could not load level" error message displayed. If there is a way using cheats or editing a file to emulate my ammo and weapons held, force alignment and powers, and inventory, then I would pick up where I left off, but I need to know how to do that if it is even possible. I also want to know how to fix it since it could happen again.

I'm now trying to get it running at all on my other computer. I've dropped the modded ddraw.dll, run the unofficial 1.01 patch, but now when I launch it from JK.exe or JK.exe's shortcut, it says it's not a valid win32 application. When I try to launch it from Steam, it says this game is unavailable, unspecified error. When I downloaded it from scratch, it crashes on launch. I checked the registry folder, and it specified the wrong path, to where I have it installed on the old windows drive. I changed it to H:\Games\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\STARWA~1, but it crashes the same way regardless of which path is in the registry.

I reverted to a failsafe of the Jedi Knight install. I ran it and could load a level, but with graphical artifacts. When I downloaded the ddraw.dll, it started to crash on startup. To fix the crash on startup, I created a shortcut of JK.exe with the -windowgui command line, but when I click that, the game does not launch. The links cooresponding to the fixes are dead:
http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php/Tutorials:Run_JK_with_Command-Line_Parameters
http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php/Tutorials:Install_JK

Zeq talked about similar issues back in 2007. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=177230
I had the same issue I had back when I was first posting, but the fixes I used then (SM_Sithlord's pre-patched JK.exe and other files like the modded ddraw.dll) do not work now. I need the version regression tool, but the links in this thread keep redirecting to dead sections of JKHub.

I think I have the solution to the flickering and messed up picture issues mentioned on SPUF, and to the crashing problem I mentioned above. The modded ddraw.dll file has already been mentioned as a fix for the redraw issues and color palette issues, but it also results in a crash for certain users--which I found was caused by the modded ddraw file. Delete it, and it doesn't crash, leave it there and launch it, it does crash. Here's my workaround for that: I ended the CCC.exe Catalyst Control Center process. I also ended ATI tray tools; it crashed the same way when I left it running as it did with CCC.exe. This means that I've got to find some other application to lock V-sync in place, since I can't use my video card's software for V-sync. Does anyone know of any software I can use to lock V-sync on? So on to the flickering: flickering appeared when I got into the game after pasting in ddraw and ending the video card software, so I unchecked Backbuffer, and this completely eliminated all flickering. [/COLOR]

Beefy from JKHub on JKLauncher helped me discover this fix. So after you have Jedi Knight set up following the tutorial made with the help of Massassi and JKHub ( [/COLOR]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBwj8TcGuS8 ), you will have a shortcut in the Jedi Knight folder that links to the modded JK.exe. For launching it from Steam this link will not be used. Instead, go to Steam > RMB Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II > Properties > Set Launch Options > (sans quotes) " -windowgui -path Mod" (this is what you would normally have in the shortcut in the Jedi Knight folder) > Click OK > Click Close > Hit Play. [/COLOR]

I tried typing in the folder location, and got a flicker fail (immediately closing after launch), so don't do that. [/COLOR]
2012-11-10, 9:26 PM #228
Found this the other night, finally managed to get JK working over LAN for the first time in about 2 years. No idea why TCP/IP doesn't want to play ball on a local network. Essentially a wrapper for IPX to send it over UDP. http://www.solemnwarning.net/ipxwrapper/
2013-01-10, 8:02 PM #229
I can't play at 16bpp at 1920x1080. I used to be able to, but now the option is no longer available from the list. When I select 8bpp, I can see 1920x1080, but then the executable stops working: "Video card may not have enough memory for this mode - try a lower setting. Restoring to previous settings". The highest resolution it has available at 16bpp is 1776x1000. When in 1776x1000, it displays with a border surrounding the in-game image, making it less than 1776x1000. I added -displayconfig to the shortcut target, but it offers no more options regarding resolution. I'm using JK.EXE version 2008.4.30.0 (from the latest version of JKpatch). Is there a way to set the resolution outside of the game, or a way to get it to display in 1920x1080 in-game?

I followed the isntructions for joining and hosting servers. But when I try to set up a host server after picking a character and setting the server options in-game, it freezes after the last Ok. I tried ticking 3D acceleration on and off before doing this (I have Windows 7), but it still freezes. I can't join a server because I don't know where to get a list of p2p JK servers from.
2013-01-13, 10:14 PM #230
The patch to revert the steam copy of Jedi Outcast doesn't work. I think the url is changed or down. Do I really have to revert it?

JKLauncher shows outcast as "unknown"
2013-01-14, 1:07 AM #231
Originally posted by Gvaz:
The patch to revert the steam copy of Jedi Outcast doesn't work. I think the url is changed or down. Do I really have to revert it?

JKLauncher shows outcast as "unknown"

I assume you mean reverting the Steam copy of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II? Not aware of any similar patches for JO, but you could try this one for JK: DF2 if that's what you meant (that's the first version). If not, well, happy Monday!
2013-01-14, 1:09 AM #232
Originally posted by joel96:
I can't play at 16bpp at 1920x1080. I used to be able to, but now the option is no longer available from the list. When I select 8bpp, I can see 1920x1080, but then the executable stops working: "Video card may not have enough memory for this mode - try a lower setting. Restoring to previous settings". The highest resolution it has available at 16bpp is 1776x1000. When in 1776x1000, it displays with a border surrounding the in-game image, making it less than 1776x1000. I added -displayconfig to the shortcut target, but it offers no more options regarding resolution. I'm using JK.EXE version 2008.4.30.0 (from the latest version of JKpatch). Is there a way to set the resolution outside of the game, or a way to get it to display in 1920x1080 in-game?

The patcher for TODOA TC enables widescreen resolutions, but even then 1776x1000 is the max resolution I can get with it. You could still try it out.
2013-01-14, 4:12 PM #233
FastGamerr, 1776x1000 is a resolution available in the patched version I'm using with JKE. Is there some other reason for downloading TODOA TC? Like one that will fix the multiplayer hosting bug? Does TODOA include bug fixes or patches that aren't available as discrete downloads anywhere else? Are there graphical improvements in TODOA TC that aren't available in JKE, JKR, or other discrete downloads? ty
2013-01-15, 1:04 AM #234
Well, the major graphical improvement is the lightsaber. It could be used for some new effects as well (and people on JKHub are working on that). There were some other bug fixes as well, but nothing that major.

But still, I always thought that Xzero (creator of the TODOA TC's patch content) meant that widescreen resolutions (like 1680x1050 and 1776x1000) would have been enabled with the patch, whereas they wouldn't have been available before. And I was convinced that his was the case in the comparison between TODOA and TODOA TC. But alas, everything I know is wrong!

At any rate, I'm not aware of any other solutions (real or hypothetical). Sry.
2013-01-16, 2:58 PM #235
My windows 2000 VM on my macbook gives me a max of 2560 by something else, it seems random depending on computer honestly.
2013-01-16, 3:02 PM #236
However it doesn't work in a winxp VM in the same program, game is finicky as hell.
2013-01-18, 3:17 AM #237
Removed uber jedi mod manager and knight from the OP because they are absolute garbage, I couldn't even get them to start properly.
I really wish patch commander worked with a manual install, ugh.
2013-01-18, 4:54 PM #238
Fixed a few links, updated section on installation to direct people to that wonderful program.
2013-01-26, 9:51 PM #239
Breakthrough non-ddraw.dll fix posted.
2013-03-11, 4:56 AM #240
Just a heads-up, I decided to make a standalone release of the TODOA TC patch after all, christening it as follows:

Jedi Knight 2013 Patch (JK13)

Also, I figured out what Xzero really meant with "widescreen" mode. It's not really related to the resolutions (since you can have 1680x1050, 1776x1000, 1920x1080 et al even without the patch), but the FOV instead. Compare the beginning of 'Jedi Search' without the patch (JKE active, a shot without JKE here) with a shot of the same scene with JK13 enabled.

In other words, the screen doesn't get cropped with the JK13 patch.

(A shame that no such patch will exist for MotS)

↑ Up to the top!