Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight issues
Jedi Knight issues
2013-03-12, 11:24 AM #241
Still wish xzero would release the source to the patch. Still can't believe it wasn't completely open to begin with. Oh well, JK is a bit beyond saving in this technical respect. It's not like slightly more modern games like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 that have pluggable renderers or use a more modern version of D3D that's more easily shimmed to support advanced features.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-03-12, 1:27 PM #242
Why couldn't it have supported glide, we could just use a glidewrapper and ugh
2013-03-17, 12:29 AM #243
Odd thing, I accidentally removed ddraw.dll and was still able to run JK with 3D acceleration without any problems. Well, for that test anyway.

[EDIT/JUL17] Here's a random JED screenshot (not by me):

[Unable to find specified attachment]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-03-17, 8:00 PM #244
As of OSX 10.8.3 and Fusion 5.0.3 I can confirm that JK works on an HD4000 MacBook Pro

finally
2013-05-05, 7:15 AM #245
Game doesn't launch. No error, no window, nothing. This is a completely fresh install of the steam version. I even made a separate install with it downgraded to 1.0 with the unofficial patch. Same thing.

Its weird because the game worked fine 4-5 months ago. The only hardware change I've made since then was replacing the HDD. So maybe it could be a software change I made? But it wold be hard to narrow that down over 5 months.

Specs

Win7 64bit
2 AMD 6970 (Crossfire is disabled when I tried to run it, before you ask)
Intel i7

I've tried running in Admin mode, and I tried running with Windows 95/98 Compatibility. Nothing.

Game works flawlessly on my laptop though, I didn't even need the directdraw DLL fix.
2013-05-08, 9:25 AM #246
@Tuskin38: Did you try a fresh install and this patch? (after retrieving the original exe with the JKVersions tool, that is)
2013-08-30, 1:58 PM #247
JK doesn't seem to support full retina 2880x1800
Takes 1920 x 1200 though :getin:
2013-09-02, 4:27 PM #248
Windows 8.1 update.
JK now runs natively, in full screen, with no issues in software mode. Hardware mode is still bonked.
2013-11-10, 7:49 AM #249
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
@Tuskin38: Did you try a fresh install and this patch? (after retrieving the original exe with the JKVersions tool, that is)

6 months later I respond! haha, i got it working, for some reason the launcher, jedi.exe, was stopping it for launching, I deleted it and it worked fine

I'm trying to revert the steam jk.exe to an unmodified version for the unofficial patch, but jkversions.exe isn't working, it cannot connect to the server.

The game is also yelling at me for not having enough video RAM in 3D acceleration. If I turn 3D acceleration off, the game just crashes.

Must be the latest AMD drivers, because as I said in that post 6 months ago, it worked fine with the exact same hardware I'm using now.
2013-11-10, 8:34 AM #250
Originally posted by Tuskin38:
I'm trying to revert the steam jk.exe to an unmodified version for the unofficial patch, but jkversions.exe isn't working, it cannot connect to the server.

Yeah, The_MAZZTer still should fix that. :argh:
2013-11-10, 8:45 AM #251
Yeah, my RAM issue is AMD driver related, only fix I saw was to downgrade to drivers from February. Which means loosing all my performance increases for Battlefield 4 among other things.

Guess I'll just stick to playing JK2 on my laptop for now.
2014-04-18, 6:19 PM #252
Tibby apparently has updates for the OP but left #massassi before telling CM what he needs to know in order to unlock the account. So, there's that.
2014-07-04, 9:08 PM #253
OP UPDATES INCOMING
I'm just waiting on FGR telling if the JK 2013 patch can work with mots.

Also, hi.
2014-07-04, 11:25 PM #254
Originally posted by Tibby:
I'm just waiting on FGR telling if the JK 2013 patch can work with mots.

Nope.

"Fun" fact, the reason why the adjoin limit was never removed from MotS (which forced me to edit JK instead) was because according to Sige, the engine data was somehow just too different from JK's for it to be implemented. So MotS really is a red-headed step-child in the DF saga (I still like it, though).
2014-07-05, 1:39 AM #255
Not even just the 32 bit display mode thing? That's what fixes it on Windows 8.
Interestingly, the menus work fine on 8, and not on 7. So with that 32 bit fix, Jedi Knight works far better on 8 than 7.
2014-07-05, 2:08 AM #256
Well, tbh, no one has tried to enable the 32-bit display mode in MotS (Xzero made the original JK13 patch which was based on Zeq's and other people's earlier stuff), so maybe it's possible, but there's really no one around to do it.

A shame, really.
2014-07-05, 12:49 PM #257
Originally posted by Tibby:
Not even just the 32 bit display mode thing? That's what fixes it on Windows 8.
Interestingly, the menus work fine on 8, and not on 7. So with that 32 bit fix, Jedi Knight works far better on 8 than 7.

7, 8, 8.1 are something of a minefield w.r.t. compatibility and program bugs. I've seen tests that work fine on 7 and 8.1 but fail on 8 deterministically. If JK works better on 8 it was probably a regression.
2014-07-24, 9:56 AM #258
Hey guys! Long time, no see!
I had a question that one of you might know the answer. I reinstalled JK with the patchy-thing from JKHub. Works fine. I installed MotS, and it works fine also. However, when I try and run my mod (Legacy of Yun), the colors on my custom menu screens are all crazy (as well as the LucasArts logo video). Is this a common issue and fixable, or just a casualty of progress?

Btw, Win7 x64, AMD Athlon II x4 3.0 Ghz, GeForce GTS 450, 4 Gb Ram (in case that is necessary, however I suspect it isn't...)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2014-07-24, 12:23 PM #259
Heya. Did you run it with -windowgui (in the command prompt/.bat file)?

Also, props on Legacy of Yun, great stuff. Oh, and the room where you see screenshots of past JK/MotS SP levels and can flick through them from the monitors was quite the nostalgia cannon for me (when I played LoY for the first time in 2008 or 2009). Props for that!
2014-07-24, 1:31 PM #260
No, I didn't think to add that to the bat file. I'll give it a go.

And thanks for the props. One of the things I enjoyed about peoples levels were the easter eggs, so I made sure to jam mine FULL of them. With those screens you mentioned, if you bring up the levels made by... dang, I don't remember anymore. On each screen is a screenshot of a level by the same author. If you put his levels on all the screens at the same time, a panel in the floor opens with a conc rifle.

I wish I was as good at finishing projects as I am starting them. Had the whole series planned out, puzzles and all. Still have faded maps drawn with pencil and paper around here somewhere. Never could figure out another way of telling the story that rolls around in my head.
2014-07-24, 1:36 PM #261
Yep, that worked like a charm! Thanks!
2014-07-24, 7:26 PM #262
CHEWBUBBY!!!

Get your students to build the levels for you. Make it an assignment.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-07-24, 8:16 PM #263
That'd actually be a pretty cool math assignment - all about convex/concave shapes, 3-D coordinates. But I wouldn't trust my baby with a bunch of 13 year olds!

On a side note, I was watching the intro video to JK and was just laughing and laughing... man, the acting was terrible. Am I the only one that notices how often Jerec licks his lips?

[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32508800/jerec_lick.jpg]
2014-07-24, 10:12 PM #264
Convex geometry is a lot of fun. Probably more appropriate for a university class, though!
2014-07-24, 11:00 PM #265
You can prove a lot of fascinating results in convex geometry in Euclidean space with just a few simple definitions about compact sets and some simple linear algebra. The theorems of Radon and Helly* are really neat examples of this.

*highly recommended (Dover) book.
2014-07-25, 5:10 AM #266
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Am I the only one that notices how often Jerec licks his lips?

It's really dry in space.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2014-07-25, 12:25 PM #267
Remember as well that his heavy brow overshadows the empty recesses that normally embrace eyes. He may be compensating for his lack of vision by continuously tasting the air.

[http://i.giftrunk.com/m6a4gw.gif]
2015-04-12, 12:05 PM #268
If anyone's interested, I've found it runs way better using Linux + Wine than on recent windows versions. I've also found it doesn't scale very well. Runs fantastic (100fps) at 1080p but running it at 4k does quarter the fps and it runs at about 25. That said I am using a 750Ti so a better GPU might be better although a 750Ti is about a thousand times better than what's needed to run JK!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2015-07-07, 7:47 PM #269
Originally posted by Ni:
If anyone's interested, I've found it runs way better using Linux + Wine than on recent windows versions. I've also found it doesn't scale very well. Runs fantastic (100fps) at 1080p but running it at 4k does quarter the fps and it runs at about 25. That said I am using a 750Ti so a better GPU might be better although a 750Ti is about a thousand times better than what's needed to run JK!

Could you post a screenshot? I would love to see how small the HUD is lol
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2015-07-12, 1:50 PM #270
Originally posted by Andrew L:

I'm running it at 1080p also and it's pretty funny:

2015-07-12, 1:59 PM #271
Now Ree-Yees knows how aging TV anchors felt after the upgrade to HDTV.
2015-08-02, 9:02 AM #272
Originally posted by Andrew L:

Here you go. 4k running under wine on linux. I'm not sure why there seems to be LOD issues, maybe it's just more apparent at such a high resolution!

TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2015-08-03, 8:38 PM #273
Originally posted by Ni:
Here you go. 4k

WHY
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2015-08-03, 8:59 PM #274
That's quite the low-res mip-mapped texture, there.
2016-06-03, 11:12 AM #275
I can't get it to work on the Vive /_\
The answer is maybe.
2016-06-03, 11:26 AM #276
aw, too bad.
2016-08-31, 12:45 PM #277
I just reinstalled it with Windows 10. The only way I could get 3d acceleration to work was to add the dll files from some dgvoodoo wrapper. It works. Not great - there's tearing at the bottom of the screen, but it works.

And the dgVoodoo wrapper has a watermark that sits right on top of the ammo display. :/

[EDIT: Got rid of the watermark by adding the voodoo config file. My bad.]
2016-12-28, 4:13 PM #278
Originally posted by joel96:
Get jkpatch: http://bit.ly/hkbhwy -> main jedi knight folder

IF YOU'RE TRYING TO GET THE GAME TO WORK AND BOUGHT VIA STEAM, USE THE ABOVE LINK!

I came here after buying JK DF2 on steam. The 'patch' above saved my game for me. I don't have any 'advanced controls' for the graphic settings, but I'm okay with that.
I was able to get the steam version working by deleting JEDI.exe and doing the other tricks to get the game to work, but I was getting the ESC menu error of going back to my desktop almost constantly. I then did something that made the game launch into an install loop. I even tried dgvoodoo dll's, didn't help. But the patch above with, what I assume are the same DLL files, did get the game working. Granted, it is in a windowed mode, but I'm fine with that. Thanks to everyone!
2019-03-07, 9:13 AM #279
Originally posted by Roger12:
IF YOU'RE TRYING TO GET THE GAME TO WORK AND BOUGHT VIA STEAM, USE THE ABOVE LINK!

I came here after buying JK DF2 on steam. The 'patch' above saved my game for me. I don't have any 'advanced controls' for the graphic settings, but I'm okay with that.
I was able to get the steam version working by deleting JEDI.exe and doing the other tricks to get the game to work, but I was getting the ESC menu error of going back to my desktop almost constantly. I then did something that made the game launch into an install loop. I even tried dgvoodoo dll's, didn't help. But the patch above with, what I assume are the same DLL files, did get the game working. Granted, it is in a windowed mode, but I'm fine with that. Thanks to everyone!

Ok thanks.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2019-03-07, 9:23 AM #280
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Ok thanks.

mods pls delet troll post

↑ Up to the top!