Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight issues
Jedi Knight issues
2019-04-11, 5:22 AM #321
I don't :(

I know such thing exists, but not for 3do files. IIRC JKE models have auto-generated LODs, I'm assuming MotSE doesn't?
JKGR
2019-04-11, 5:22 AM #322
I miss the injector.....
JKGR
2019-04-11, 7:06 AM #323
Yeah, I think JKE had LOD stuff in the models... but since I never messed around with LODs or mipmaps, I really don't know how to tackle this problem aside from the cheap "hey, is there an automated tool for this LOL" ideas :p

Shame!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-04-12, 3:41 PM #324
Okay, so I managed to run the injector with the Intel driver by setting a MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE environment variable to anything higher than 3.3. However, this is what it looked like:

This is what appeared on the console, repeated a bunch of times
Code:
Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glUseProgram(program 9 not linked)
Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glUniform1("fbuf_dimensions"@1 has 2 components, not 1)
Mesa: 1 similar GL_INVALID_OPERATION errors
Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glUniform(location=3)
Mesa: 5 similar GL_INVALID_OPERATION errors

As for jkgm.log... well...

[edit]

Code:
opengl_state.cpp|20|error> Failed to compile jkgm/shaders/post_to_srgb.frag: 0:23(24): error: sampler arrays indexed with non-constant expressions are forbidden in GLSL 1.30 and later
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program post_to_srgb: error: linking with uncompiled/unspecialized shader

this was the output of $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
Code:
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 610 (Kaby Lake GT1) 
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-8f06559 2019-04-11 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-8f06559 2019-04-11 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-8f06559 2019-04-11 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

[edit2]
Tried setting MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=120. Instead of blurry, screen was now completely white. This is what appeared on jkgm.log:
Code:
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program menu: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program game_opaque_pass: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program game_post_ssao: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program game_post_opaque_composite: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program game_transparency_pass: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program post_gauss3: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program post_gauss7: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program post_low_pass: error: vertex shader lacks `main'
opengl_state.cpp|20|error> Failed to compile jkgm/shaders/post_to_srgb.frag: 0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.00 ES, 3.00 ES, 3.10 ES, and 3.20 ES
opengl_state.cpp|40|error> Failed to link program post_to_srgb: error: linking with uncompiled/unspecialized shader

and $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL...
Code:
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 610 (Kaby Lake GT1) 
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-8f06559 2019-04-11 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-8f06559 2019-04-11 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-8f06559 2019-04-11 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
JKGR
2019-04-12, 7:47 PM #325
Fixed it!

Just had to change the version in post_to_srgb.frag to 450 (MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE is set to 4.5). Framerate is absolutely horrid thanks to the terrible video card, but at least I can see where I'm going with materials.

So yeah, turns out you CAN run the injector in Wine with Intel graphics with some tweaking. Nice.
JKGR
2019-04-13, 6:25 AM #326
That's pretty cool, given the circumstances!

Also, I should get around to playing through JK and MotS with the current JKGfxmod + JK/MOTSGFX2019 set-up (mainly to confirm that you can play through the main campaigns of those games with the new stuff), because in some levels there still are some odd crashes involved if (some of) the injected textures are active - Elmo's The Lost Mercenary for one crashes at a specific part if there are injected textures under jkgm\materials (didn't test enough to figure out which textures caused the crashing, I should get around to that at some point).
2019-04-13, 6:41 AM #327
Hm. Just tried to debug The Lost Mercenary again and actually got rid of that particular crash by temporarily removing the injected texture pack from T-O:DOA 2 from jkgm\materials - so JKNUP and JKGFX2019 weren't the cause of the crash after all.

I guess in theory I could check which (one) of T-O:DOA 2's injected textures caused the crash, but eh.
2019-04-13, 6:45 AM #328
That said, I did discover an interesting translucency issue with one of the 3DOs/surfaces used in that level - the texture appears properly translucent from certain angles (and when you jump at a certain position), but appears buggy otherwise:

[Unable to find specified attachment]

(Once again getting BSP hole vibes from it - I swear, one of these days a BSP error or something like it will actually kill me)
2019-04-13, 7:02 AM #329
That might actually be a JK limit and not an injector issue. JK can only display up to 32 transluscent level surfaces at the same time, so that's probably that.
JKGR
2019-04-13, 8:56 AM #330
Originally posted by SMLiberator:
That might actually be a JK limit and not an injector issue. JK can only display up to 32 transluscent level surfaces at the same time, so that's probably that.

Ah, yes. Sort of convinced myself that the issue had been fully sidestepped by the injector. >_>
2019-04-13, 9:12 AM #331
I've never even heard of such a limit. ****ing why?

Edit: Let me guess. In software mode, they draw all of the transparent level surfaces in a second pass. So they accumulate the first 16 they see in a static array and drop the rest on the floor. Cache? What's cache?
2019-04-13, 9:20 AM #332
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I've never even heard of such a limit. ****ing why?

I remember asking ZeqMacaw in 2009 about it, like "why does JK do this with translucent surfaces?" and his response basically was "JK can only show a certain amount of translucent surfaces on the screen, and what's wrong with you why did you have to ask this question :S"

Come to think of it, Zeq was one of the few people I actually hated. Hrr.
2019-04-20, 12:36 PM #333
That said, I did make a tiny little fix that should let one play TODOA TC SP with JkGfxMod sabers (thus skipping JK13 altogether, and just going with the January 2008 JKUP), which is kind of cool.

However, I did notice a FreeColorEffect related issue (maybe the same one SMLiberator mentioned before), when the saber is being activated at the same time when the FreeColorEffect is ... in effect:

Also, looking at the comments JKGFX2019 has received, an OGG injector would probably be very helpful.
2019-04-24, 10:36 PM #334
Just uploaded jkgfxmod v0.0.10.

This roughly doubles framerates. Apparently a minor tweak I pushed a few days ago wasn't so minor. :shrug:
2019-04-25, 12:57 AM #335
Just uploaded jkgfxmod v0.0.10.

This roughly doubles framerates. Apparently a minor tweak I pushed a few days ago wasn't so minor. :shrug:

Nice, I gotta test this. Maybe now my poor little laptop won't have to struggle so much.
Sorry for the lousy German
2019-04-25, 7:43 AM #336
Nice
JKGR
2019-04-25, 9:39 AM #337
Very nice!

However, it didn't fix the "Elmo's The Lost Mercenary crash", which I seem to have pin-pointed to this one texture with an FGR-made displacement map. I should get around to the JKGM.log environment variable at some point.
2019-04-25, 1:01 PM #338
Okay, so I'm getting playable framerates (around 30, but still playable) with the Intel card on Wine. Great.

Out of curiosity: could you add some more variables to jkgm.json (like "enable_bloom" or "enable_materials") to further tweak graphics settings? Maybe that could also help with FPS in weaker GPUs.
JKGR
2019-04-25, 1:19 PM #339
That’s a good idea in general. Can you elaborate on the use case for “enable materials”, please? You can already disable materials (in a way) by deleting the materials directories.
2019-04-25, 1:21 PM #340
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Very nice!

However, it didn't fix the "Elmo's The Lost Mercenary crash", which I seem to have pin-pointed to this one texture with an FGR-made displacement map. I should get around to the JKGM.log environment variable at some point.

I would guess it’s a GPU crash really, which isn’t an excuse (jkgm shaders shouldn’t do that) but unless I know what’s going wrong I can’t possibly fix it.

Does it still happen if you turn off parallax in the config?
2019-04-25, 8:29 PM #341
Can you elaborate on the use case for “enable materials”, please? You can already disable materials (in a way) by deleting the materials directories.

Well... that's pretty much all that I had in mind, yes. Just for disabling materials without having to move directories around. Also, I think it's nice to have extra options available (regardless of how useful they actually are). You could take pointless variables a step further and throw in "enable_emissive" or something of that kind (maybe these could be useful for debugging? who knows).
JKGR
2019-04-25, 8:47 PM #342
Smells like shader permutations.
2019-04-25, 9:17 PM #343
Quote:
Does it still happen if you turn off parallax in the config?

Nope, which actually led me to discover the texture that causes the crash.

No idea what directly causes the crash itself (should env-var it at some point), but basically the displacement texture creates a pipe shape. But in Elmo's level, the 3DO using that texture already is pipe-shaped, which may have created some kind of a pipeception that JK couldn't handle.
2019-05-03, 10:37 AM #344
https://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-neural-upscale-texture-pack/features/the-best-star-wars-mods-to-play-on-may-the-4th

Quote:
This is a replacement texture pack for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. These textures were upscaled using ESRGAN and a custom model. This texture pack is intended for use by mod authors as a base for their own high-resolution retexture projects. Although this texture pack is usable without further changes, the textures in this pack are quite raw. Most of them have artifacts from the upscaling process, which in a complete effort should be manually removed by an artist.

Hey!

TODOA didn't make the list!

. V .
2019-05-05, 6:23 AM #345
If someone wants to write an installer for all of this stuff, they are welcome to. I won’t be doing that. I don’t have the time, and if I do find some more time to work on things I think it’s probably more important to spend it on the injector (maybe sound next?) or a MotS texture upscale.

It’s too bad o didn’t do this while mzzt was still around

I still lurk on IRC. FWIW I use NSIS for all my installer stuff. Once you figure out how it works you can throw together an installer pretty quickly.

Also new JK stuff wow.

2019-05-11, 8:55 AM #346
Took me this long to realize that I hadn't made emissive materials for JKE's and MotSE's own textures used in JKGFX2019/MOTSGFX2019, so I FGR-quickly put them together and updated the mods:

https://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-jedi-knight-dark-forces-ii/downloads/jkgfx2019
https://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-jedi-knight-mysteries-of-the-sith/downloads/motsgfx2019

That said, only today did I realize how glitchy Yun's saber is with all these additions (even though this particular example is already present in vanilla JKE):

Maybe one day I'll figure out what determines the actual starting/spawning point of the lightsaber blade, and how to easily/quickly fix the "sabers go through the arm/hand" one (for example).
2019-05-11, 12:17 PM #347
Meh, figured out a classic FGR bulls*** method (what else) for this one as well:

2019-05-11, 12:33 PM #348
a.) can you make a version of the mod that includes the glowy stuff and fixes, but uses the default models? I hacked one together myself for the previous version, but you'd have a better idea of what needs to be included than I would.

b.) do you want me to / is it possible to (???) add you to the JK neural upscale project so you can put the files there?
2019-05-11, 1:07 PM #349
A) These recent fixes affect the JKE materials used in the mod, so your version should be pretty much up to date otherwise (aside from Yun's saber blade issue). Been a long time since I've played JK with vanilla resources, dang

B) Actually, that would make a lot of things easier. I think you have to create a ModDB dev group first and then assign that dev group in the mod settings to achieve that
2019-05-11, 2:10 PM #350
Ok I think I've figured it out. Group invitation sent.
2019-05-11, 10:40 PM #351
File-linkage done.

Not for MOTSGFX2019 yet, however, since MotSE itself - while included in my mod - is not fully finished and still has the pirate on the left for starters.
2019-05-12, 8:44 AM #352
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:

christ
JKGR
2019-05-13, 11:28 AM #353
Latest JKGFX2019 comment:

Quote:
I'm having a small issue though. After installing this, weapon bobbing is too much, specially with the trooper rifle. Any idea how to change this?

I noticed that when you crouch in the game, the weapon bobbing is significantly decreased. Any idea how to make that "crouched" speed the normal one (and make the "crouched" speed a bit slower)? That could instantly solve this issue, I think.

Of course, after 21 years of editing JK, I have no idea to do that since my first attempts (editing some .key files that I thought were relevant) failed.
2019-05-13, 11:48 AM #354
jksetwaggle()

Scaled by the player's speed. Not scaled by frame time, which is why it goes crazy at high framerates.

jkgfx2019 (JKE models) doesn't do framerates any favors, so I'm not sure what they're comparing against.
2019-05-13, 11:59 AM #355
Well, one fast(ish) solution seems to be that one should use darthslaw's JK ReCog.

But since the code for its waggle control has stuff like

Code:
    SendMessageEx(GetInvCog(player, 1), user4,
        VectorX(waggle_vec0[wag]), VectorY(waggle_vec0[wag]), VectorZ(waggle_vec0[wag]), waggle_spd0[wag]);

Well, I don't know. Maybe some code like that could be put straight into kyle.cog?
2019-05-13, 12:02 PM #356
can you not send vectors directly with sendmessageex? interesting.
2019-05-13, 12:04 PM #357
The right fix is to patch JK to scale the waggle speed by frame time.
2019-05-13, 12:06 PM #358
Well, maybe a quick fix (or a bypass, more like) could be sufficient. Possibly.

Then again, with Jk ReCog, stuff like the thermal detonator sort of breaks the immersion with the transparency issues:

2019-05-14, 12:53 AM #359
https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod/releases/tag/v0.0.11

Whole whack of stuff:

Biggest thing, I added some config options to make JkGfxMod look somewhat like the software renderer. Set "enable_texture_filtering" to false to turn off bilinear filtering, then set "enable_posterized_lighting" to true to make the lighting all ****ty and banded. It's not a perfect simulation but it's alright.

Added an option to disable bloom.

Finally got rid of that little flickering image of the menu in the top left corner that showed up sometimes.
2019-05-14, 2:01 AM #360
Nice, I don't think I've ever gotten the menu flickering issue with JkGfxMod.

Also, wow, software rendering. Even in 1998 with my P166MMX w/ ATI Rage II+ I always played JK with 3D accel on (at 512x384) because I couldn't stand the software rendering mode. Fuh-reaky

↑ Up to the top!