Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight issues
Jedi Knight issues
2019-03-07, 9:38 AM #281
[https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=28531]

Star Wars: TODOA - formerly known as The Truth of the Destruction of Apocalopolis - available for download on ModDB.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-03-30, 2:24 AM #282
https://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-jedi-knight-dark-forces-ii/downloads/jkgfx2019

JkGfxMod Graphical Extension Pack 0.08 (by FastGamerr) in action.

JK:

[Unable to find specified attachment]

And MotS:

The MotS one remains unreleased for now, but it's got the basics covered as well.

And here's a lame video I made:

https://vimeo.com/nikumubeki/jkgfx2019
2019-03-30, 3:17 AM #283
And "naturally", here's the obligatory TODOA 2 video update:

https://vimeo.com/nikumubeki/todoa2
2019-03-30, 11:50 AM #284
It's kind of unreal how much better that one neon sign looks with the displacement map.
2019-03-30, 12:02 PM #285
Oh yeah. Whereas I keep my displacement maps very subtle:

https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?68062-Take-Off-Destiny-of-Alderaan-2-The-Sole-Jedi&p=1225799&viewfull=1#post1225799

Also, found a possible issue with version 0.09 of JkGfxMod - either due to the custom font I'm using or due to the HUD scaling, both the normal and scaled HUD texts appear simultaneously when I flip through the Force Powers like mad:

2019-03-30, 12:20 PM #286
Also, Jon, would it be too much to ask for if you could run your ESRGAN model through all of MotS's textures and post it on ModDB or somewhere?

(Without emissive+displacement textures would be perfectly fine)
2019-03-30, 12:46 PM #287
Do not use a custom font or HUD with HUD scaling. It will not work.

The workflow/model requires the emissive parts of textures to be extracted
*before* they are scaled. I wrote gimp scripts to assist this effort. Basically what is do is paint out the emissive parts, then ran a script that subtracted the original texture from my repainted version, producing the raw emissive texture. You end up with fairly poor results if you don’t do this, even if you don’t intend to have an emissive texture on the other side.

If you or someone else did this, I would be happy to run ESRGAN over everything. Otherwise it will have to wait until I have time to do it.
2019-03-30, 1:05 PM #288
That's good to know about the custom HUDs.

And blimey about the textures, I thought it could have been easier... dang!
2019-03-30, 1:11 PM #289
Nikumuobservations about positive displacement factors. While they look pretty nice when used subtly:

[removed]

... they're still more prone to glitching:

[removed]
2019-03-30, 1:16 PM #290
It's also quite possible that I screwed something up when I wrote the shader.
2019-03-30, 1:25 PM #291
I think I'll just remove those minor indentations from the protruding ones for a smoother look.

Also, I think the "inject.exe crashes after playing through an episode" issue has been sort of fixed for now, because the screen stays blank after the episode is finished until I press Esc when it returns to the main menu. I guess the credits might be warped (not a big loss for me, but eh).
2019-03-30, 1:41 PM #292
yes, I haven't implemented credits yet, but I fixed the crash that was happening when the credits play. The black screen is expected.
2019-03-30, 1:47 PM #293
Alright, good to know.

And yeah, subtlety wins (in this FGR case anyway) for protruding parallax maps:

[removed]
2019-03-31, 2:47 AM #294
Also,

Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
I also thought of giving this area in TODOA the"emissive textures" treatment, but I'm almost certain that making the whole thing look like a Christmas tree would also be within too much effort:

It'd actually involve even more useless effort since TODOA's hi-res textures were implemented in the pre-injector era inconvenient bulls*** way. Thus, even if I managed to dig up all the glow maps for the original textures, I'd still have to edit plenty of them even further to match the square shapes etc. and it wouldn't really be worth the time.
2019-03-31, 6:27 AM #295
Uploaded the MotS version as well:

https://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-jedi-knight-mysteries-of-the-sith/downloads/motsgfx2019
2019-03-31, 10:49 AM #296
Apparently the discussion's been moved here so

Jon, I'd like to report an issue (which I'm not sure if it's a bug or just some weird side effect): Additive screen colors (via NewColorEffect etc) look A LOT more intense with the injector. This is of course ridiculously easy to work around as a modder, but still I figure you'd want to keep consistency on this sort of stuff between the original game and the injector.

JK on the left / Injector on the right
JKGR
2019-03-31, 11:55 AM #297
Speaking of odd issues, for some reason the injector once again refuses to work without the XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode for some reason (MotS is still perfectly fine). As in, it worked properly without any compatbility mode stuff earlier today (haven't rebooted or anything in the meantime) but now, well, not anymore. Haunted stuff!

(And at least it works in the compatibility mode, if anything)
2019-03-31, 11:55 AM #298
re: color effects, I’ll take a look

Nikumubeki: search your registry for sdbs or install the compatibility administrator and check that way. Chances are its a defective compatibility shim that’s outright breaking the executable unless your compat options are incidentally disabling it.
2019-03-31, 11:58 AM #299
And the only difference between now and a few hours ago is that I started editing TODOA's workfiles so that I could make an injected version of this area and that area only (for one screenshot only).

So after a few dozen "Error Could Not Load Level" messages, well, now JK refuses to work without the compatibility mode.
2019-03-31, 12:22 PM #300
Damn, no results for ".sdb" and searching just for "sdb" results in a lot of "sdbus" related entries. I'll check for JK.EXE and Jedi tomorrow.

... or just keep on sticking with compatibility modes, eh, we'll see.
2019-04-01, 7:53 AM #301
Well, if anything, the issue didn't fix itself overnight.

All that just so I could turn this...

...to this:

2019-04-02, 7:07 AM #302
Hold on, that reminds me:

Can the crosshair be injected with something else?
2019-04-02, 7:06 PM #303
First off, I really want to thank all of you that have, from out of nowhere, brought this to where it is now. Although JK and MotS actually rank in the relatively small percentage of games I own and have completed it's really inspired me to get back into this old titles that we all love. Especially Jon. Seriously, what inspired you to do this from what seems like just out of the blue?

A few comments/questions:

In some ways I'm a lot less tech savvy when it comes to PCs because I've simply not had to do the kinds of tweaks we had to do in the past or played a lot of custom levels lately. How does this method affect custom levels? I assume FGR levels are working with this now.?. Maybe a lot of us that aren't so in to old school pc gaming need a refresher on this sort of thing.

As Nikumubeki said in the MotS update some better instructions should be provided at some point. I figured it all out so they're not terrible but they can be better.

I'm a fan of GOG due to the no DRM. I know the readmes all state CD versions but how about trying to streamline a process for GOG (or Steam) installs. I own the CDs so no prob, just thinking out loud. I purchased GOG licenses due to the possibility that they may keep them updated for various compatibility issues.

The cutscenes look horrible. Does anyone know if higher definition cutscenes have ever surfaced? How about upscaling the original ones and saving in a widescreen format that the original game can play? I'm not asking anyone to do this just wondering about the feasibility. I know at least the JK ones were in some smacker format. I used to have a (probably) pirated version of smacker software that allowed me to play them. I did some googling about smk files and Premiere Pro and didn't find anything promising. I have a Premiere license so if there is anything I can do to work on the videos I'm willing. I just don't know if it's even feasible.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2019-04-02, 7:20 PM #304
I’ve been told the GOG version works. The Steam version doesn’t, and likely never will. Use jkversions to get the original executable.
2019-04-02, 7:24 PM #305
If someone wants to write an installer for all of this stuff, they are welcome to. I won’t be doing that. I don’t have the time, and if I do find some more time to work on things I think it’s probably more important to spend it on the injector (maybe sound next?) or a MotS texture upscale.

It’s too bad o didn’t do this while mzzt was still around
2019-04-02, 9:54 PM #306
Custom levels should work with the JKGFX2019 mod as long as they use JK's standard projectiles and/or weapons.

Which, to my recollection, would mean that at least SS3 and SBX would have to be separately modded for the new updates. I might release the current TODOA shiny texture pack (pretty much only the textures in the above screenshot), but getting the whole project updated like that would take time.

Also, I could make installers for JKGFX2019 and MOTSGFX2019 since I have the installer code files for DXN at hand, but in JK's case I'd like to incorporate JKVersions to it... which I absolutely have no idea how to do (even if the code files are on Github).
2019-04-02, 10:23 PM #307
Originally posted by Wookie06:
First off, I really want to thank all of you that have, from out of nowhere, brought this to where it is now.

Ultimately, all of this started with this Deus Ex forum thread about AI-upscaled textures, which led to a couple of posts here which led to Jon realizing how horrible JK's (unofficially updated) "standard method" of getting post-256x256 textures to work was, which led to Jon wondering about Direct3D interceptors -> all of this.

Which reminds me, I wonder if a similar injector could be made for Deus Ex (and Unreal Engine 1(.5) in general) - even though they already support OpenGL and the DirectX 10 renderer was already released for DX/UE1 years ago (thus you can use .DDS textures with them, and at some point even very rudimentary normal maps).
2019-04-03, 8:25 AM #308
Also, another Nikumuidea: Is it possible to add a command line to inject.exe so that it would load the injected materials from a different directory than the default one (for example, something like " inject.exe -matdir TODOAmat ")?

Just realized that some mods might have clashing MAT filenames, so if you've implemented glowmaps for lightfixture1.mat from Mod 1, the glowmaps for lightfixture1.mat (different texture than in Mod 1, but with the same name) from Mod 2 will appear borked.

Perhaps something like that with that command line it will first check the materials from the specified directory and then from jkgm\materials - or something.
2019-04-03, 9:34 AM #309
I believe file names are only used by the compiler, while the injector searches for texture data to know what mats to replace (that's why 8bit mats won't work with unknown CMPs/different brightness levels, as both might change texture data). The upside is that you can have different mats with the same name showing up as different materials, the downside is that it can't tell different mats apart if the contents are the same.
JKGR
2019-04-03, 9:54 AM #310
Hmm, makes sense.

At one point I was puzzled why certain MATs, even if they had exactly the same name (and were the same texture), didn't always have the injected textures show up in-game between mods (so they'd show up in mod 1 but not in mod 2 etc.). Of course, then I remembered that in the other mod the .MAT in the GOB file was already a 512x512 one so the injected texture (even though it was also 512x512 in size) didn't show up, so I had to change the .MAT in the GOB to the 256x256 one. Which of course is alright and all (and injecting textures is far better than the 2006 JKUP post-256x256 texture methods), but it still means that the fancier mods with their post-256x256 textures would need separate patches for the injector to get glow/displacement maps to appear.
2019-04-03, 10:15 AM #311
Also, I could make installers for JKGFX2019 and MOTSGFX2019 since I have the installer code files for DXN at hand, but in JK's case I'd like to incorporate JKVersions to it... which I absolutely have no idea how to do (even if the code files are on Github).

If you do this, you should also patch JK1.GOB:

- Replace all disc 2 entries in episode.jk with disc 1 entries. JK will complain bitterly if you have the cd1 file in your resource dir while playing the campaign. It will work if you hit cancel, but it won't play cutscenes from disc2 and will eventually crash. These problems go away if the episode is patched to make every level and cutscene on disc 1.

- Patch all level cogscripts to use renumbered CD tracks. I suggest the scheme 1XX for CD1 (where XX are 00, 01, 02, ...) and 2XX for CD2. Then, whenever I get around to it, I can emulate whatever Windows does natively for switching between CD audio tracks, pretending that all of the tracks numbered YXX belong to a single disc Y. Mods will be able to add their own music by choosing an arbitrary Y. (This is all on the off chance JK defers any behavior to legacy CD audio hardware, which back in 1997 was actually embedded in the CD-ROM drive!)

I'm not entirely sure the best way to approach this, because the Steam version already has a modified JK1.GOB. So it's probably not good enough to just ship a binary patch (I think?).

Which reminds me, I wonder if a similar injector could be made for Deus Ex (and Unreal Engine 1(.5) in general) - even though they already support OpenGL and the DirectX 10 renderer was already released for DX/UE1 years ago (thus you can use .DDS textures with them, and at some point even very rudimentary normal maps).
Definitely.

Originally posted by SMLiberator:
I believe file names are only used by the compiler, while the injector searches for texture data to know what mats to replace (that's why 8bit mats won't work with unknown CMPs/different brightness levels, as both might change texture data). The upside is that you can have different mats with the same name showing up as different materials, the downside is that it can't tell different mats apart if the contents are the same.

This is correct. Besides, people should choose unique name prefixes, so it should be unlikely that two modders end up with the same material names.

Hmm, makes sense.

At one point I was puzzled why certain MATs, even if they had exactly the same name (and were the same texture), didn't always have the injected textures show up in-game between mods (so they'd show up in mod 1 but not in mod 2 etc.). Of course, then I remembered that in the other mod the .MAT in the GOB file was already a 512x512 one so the injected texture (even though it was also 512x512 in size) didn't show up, so I had to change the .MAT in the GOB to the 256x256 one. Which of course is alright and all (and injecting textures is far better than the 2006 JKUP post-256x256 texture methods), but it still means that the fancier mods with their post-256x256 textures would need separate patches for the injector to get glow/displacement maps to appear.

Mods that do weird things to get high-res textures will need to do weird things to get injected ones. It's not impossible to work around in the injector, but I'd just as soon not throw good money after bad. (Plus I’m still not at all sure what those patches are doing to the texture coordinates, so the odds are low that I would get it right.)
2019-04-03, 11:39 AM #312
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Mods that do weird things to get high-res textures will need to do weird things to get injected ones. It's not impossible to work around in the injector, but I'd just as soon not throw good money after bad. (Plus I’m still not at all sure what those patches are doing to the texture coordinates, so the odds are low that I would get it right.)

Yeah, trying to get the injector to work with the JKUP style high-res textures isn't worth it.
2019-04-05, 10:44 AM #313
Well, I started thinking "you know, that retouched area from TODOA looks too nice to be just discarded (aside from that screenshot), but I don't want to make a whole separate mod around it".

Hence, it's time for yet another version of the TODOA 2 video:

https://vimeo.com/287481071

I even made the "Yoda" character look even drunker than before... but I still haven't figured out how to fix the faulty saber-to-hand-coordination issues (and don't feel like trying again):

[EDIT May 18th]

Well, there's still a lot to fix (the spawning point of the saber, for instance), but I think I'll just leave it be:

2019-04-06, 9:44 AM #314
Alright, I finally updated the TODOA 2 download with the JKGfx'd version:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/todoa/downloads/todoa2e2

(Hopefully for the last time)

In fact, every time I thought of something like "I should expand this area a bit or just add some more content", I remembered that ZED/JED works like ass on Windows 10 so it resets the textures' U/V values to identical ones after the level is reloaded (so something with U/V values f.ex. 2 and 4 will have U/V values of 2 and 2 the next time the map is opened in the editor).

So while JkGfxMod has been extremely useful in making JK and MotS look and run a lot better than before, it's still a pain in the ass to edit.
2019-04-06, 10:21 AM #315
Back in 2007 or 2008 I wrote most of a JED clone for kicks. I probably have the source code somewhere, but no time to finish it.

Also, it was written in XNA. lmao.
2019-04-08, 4:39 AM #316
Okay, the injector really doesn't work in Wine with Intel graphics. Bummer, as my old Nvidia suddenly stopped working. It's funny seeing how some effects made specifically for the injector look without it (hint: hideous.)
JKGR
2019-04-08, 7:33 AM #317
I think you can still achieve the same thing if you press the brightness button (F11) two or three times in-game, as well.

Also I saw your now-removed bit about NVIDIA/AMD cards!
2019-04-08, 11:38 AM #318
Can you make a door that opens like this?

https://i.imgur.com/DwntU1S.gifv
2019-04-08, 2:39 PM #319
Witchcraft!
2019-04-11, 4:20 AM #320
SMLiberator, do you have your hands on any kind of a "automatic LOD tool" for 3DO files?

Inspired by this comment https://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-jedi-knight-mysteries-of-the-sith/downloads/motsgfx2019#comments

↑ Up to the top!