Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything Movies
Anything Movies
2018-11-08, 7:58 AM #401
I came across this a week or so back and I have to admit I find it compelling. If this theory is shown to be true there are parts of the sequel trilogy I will definitely appreciate more.

"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-11-08, 8:14 AM #402
What if Rey was a clone gosh that would be super fascinating, a super intriguing twist for shore my dudes

to explain what i mean let me first go back to the star wars vidyagaem from
2018-11-08, 8:39 AM #403
Yeah, I don't really know why he spent so much time with the game other than maybe to stretch the video out longer.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-11-14, 9:39 PM #404
2018-11-15, 11:43 AM #405
Top 1 thing you didn't know about Brian:

1. Refuses to click on Top n lists
2018-11-15, 11:45 AM #406
I will rarely click on a "list" thread from a site I'm not familiar with. And on the rare occasion that I do, I usually regret it.

2018-11-16, 12:32 AM #407
Originally posted by Brian:
Top 1 thing you didn't know about Brian:

1. Refuses to click on Top n lists

The video is a massive satire on that so yeah, you might actually like it
2018-11-16, 12:34 AM #408
Speaking of Star Wars, I'm actually watching The Phantom Menace to remind myself of what it's like. It's bad. Like, holy ****ing ****. The CGI in 1080p looks really bad, much worse than LotR. The writing is so bad and cringey. I can hardly tell what they **** is going on in many of the scenes. And Jar Jar is relentless, pointless, and stupid.

I vaguely remember alot of this but dear God it's so much worse than I remember.
2018-11-16, 7:41 AM #409
nice 0°K take ;-)
2018-11-16, 7:55 AM #410
I watched The Hunt For Red October, at the recommendation of Jon, and I liked it, but I thought the gay themes were too obvious.

- Fleeing tradition in what is essentially a phallus, to a land where it can be free
- Having a wife is a thing of the past now
- It was the cock that betrayed them
- Generally all the pirouetting, submerged and gay

Still, an 8 out of 10 from me
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2018-11-16, 7:56 AM #411
The theatrical release didn't have any of those phallic themes??? Sounds like you watched the uncut edition.
2018-11-16, 8:22 AM #412
hehe, he said uncut

2018-11-16, 8:25 AM #413
Originally posted by Reid:
I vaguely remember alot of this but dear God it's so much worse than I remember.

I was never super negative about Ep I but it definitely gets less watchable with each subsequent viewing and probably benefits from watching only in VHS or DVD quality. Plus, those should be less "specialized" as well.

2018-11-16, 9:15 AM #414
Originally posted by saberopus:
nice 0°K take ;-)

I never promised to be original :-(
2018-11-16, 9:15 AM #415
Originally posted by Tenshu:
I watched The Hunt For Red October, at the recommendation of Jon, and I liked it, but I thought the gay themes were too obvious.

- Fleeing tradition in what is essentially a phallus, to a land where it can be free

..wat
2018-11-16, 9:22 AM #416
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I came across this a week or so back and I have to admit I find it compelling. If this theory is shown to be true there are parts of the sequel trilogy I will definitely appreciate more.

the only problem with this theory is it presumes the writers think about these things
2018-11-16, 9:51 AM #417
I mean, yeah, but also that theory is a hot garbage stew of tenuous connections to unrelated video game lore based on coincidental visual happenstance. That guy doesn't believe anything he's saying, it's just the kind of **** that you have to delve into if you want to produce ongoing video content about Star Wars forever and ever amen.
2018-11-16, 11:09 AM #418
I mean, yeah, but also that theory is a hot garbage stew of tenuous connections to unrelated video game lore based on coincidental visual happenstance. That guy doesn't believe anything he's saying, it's just the kind of **** that you have to delve into if you want to produce ongoing video content about Star Wars forever and ever amen.

Pretty much.

I'd put 10:1 odds that Rian Johnson has never even heard of that video game and 100:1 that he based none of his writing on any of that **** the guy mentioned.
2018-11-16, 11:19 AM #419
it's just the kind of **** that you have to delve into if you want to produce ongoing video content about Star Wars forever and ever amen.

youtube was a mistake
2018-11-16, 12:03 PM #420

My blawgh.
2018-11-16, 12:16 PM #421
The largest phallus ever built.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon-class_submarine
2018-11-16, 1:04 PM #422
youtube was a mistake

yeh.... that said, I'd watch Tenshu's channel where he does deep penetra- I mean deep dives into film lore and symbolism.
2018-11-16, 3:33 PM #423
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:

I'm surprised he started with the "the curtains are ****ing blue" thing, because it kind of contradicts what he actually says. I always felt the status of interpreting was fairly obvious. No, you're not only limited to authorial intent, it's super obvious that there are subconscious or accidental meaning placed into works and it is valid to try and work these out. As well, one can go way too far in doing so and come up with interpretations which stretch the details too far. It depends on the specific interpretation and the specific interpretation only.

The "curtains are ****ing blue" line though implies that subtext or subconscious intent is bull****. Maybe the curtains ****ing are representing his depression, and reading that detail in such a ways is fine, so long as it both makes sense in context of the story and adds something new to your understanding. Which is what he actually says in the video about King Kong.. so.. ?
2018-11-16, 3:40 PM #424
yeh.... that said, I'd watch Tenshu's channel where he does deep penetra- I mean deep dives into film lore and symbolism.

I found his comments odd, unless he was joking. There was no whiff of homoeroticism in the film.
2018-11-16, 4:02 PM #425
https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/7lqhbx/reimagined_fight_between_vader_and_obiwan_on_the/droe87y/

So when did you realize most Star Wars fans are irredeemably stupid?

That was harsh, but like goddamn, it seems clear to me that Vader and Obi-Wan aren't fighting that battle at first just to kill each other. They're more interested in talking and expressing themselves. But I guess what these people think what drives that scene is the fight, therefore it's bad because the choreography isn't cool. If someone showed me that edit as a genuine improvement over the theatrical cut I'd laugh.
2018-11-16, 4:05 PM #426
I guess the tl;dr is always ignore the fans.
2018-11-16, 4:27 PM #427
I guess the tl;dr is always ignore the fans.

Don’t ever ignore the fans.

But ignore what they say. Measure them. They don’t understand the product the way you do. They know suck, they just can’t tell you why it sucks.
2018-11-16, 4:32 PM #428
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Don’t ever ignore the fans.

But ignore what they say. Measure them. They don’t understand the product the way you do. They know suck, they just can’t tell you why it sucks.

I guess that's the better way to say it
2018-11-16, 11:56 PM #429

Yeah, there was really a lot of emphasis in that movie on diving deep into that smooooooth llllllllliquid, wasn't there?
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2018-11-17, 12:41 PM #430
the only problem with this theory is it presumes the writers think about these things

In all seriousness, though, how could they not have had a planned arc for the three films? I think Jon might have spoken to that awhile back but if that is really as true as it appears to be then all legends content should be restored as cannon and all Disney produced content labeled legends.

I don't think he needed to refer to the game so much because other than having a clone character there was no relevance. The portions the video that just dealt with the film I think stand on their own. I just think it would be a clever twist.

2018-11-17, 2:12 PM #431
In all seriousness, though, how could they not have had a planned arc for the three films? I think Jon might have spoken to that awhile back but if that is really as true as it appears to be then all legends content should be restored as cannon and all Disney produced content labeled legends.

[https://i.redd.it/7bcfl1y7ed511.png]

I agree, they could write something better.
2018-11-17, 2:15 PM #432
In all seriousness, though, how could they not have had a planned arc for the three films?
They didn’t plan the other two trilogies. Why would Disney try something different?

Quote:
I think Jon might have spoken to that awhile back but if that is really as true as it appears to be then all legends content should be restored as cannon and all Disney produced content labeled legends.

Yeah, I can think of a lot of things Disney Star Wars ought to be labeled.
2018-11-17, 2:22 PM #433
They didn’t plan the other two trilogies. Why would Disney try something different?

Yeah, it wasn't planned that Vader was Luke's father until Lucas was writing ESB. That's not a problem in itself. What is an issue is when one writer says "lol i dont wanna do that" and effectively retcons what they don't like.
2018-11-17, 2:24 PM #434
Yeah, I can think of a lot of things Disney Star Wars ought to be labeled.

I did learn that Adam Driver is an excellent actor, and his performance carries the films quite a bit. TBH, most of the other new characters aren't all that great.
2018-11-17, 3:23 PM #435
Yeah, it wasn't planned that Vader was Luke's father until Lucas was writing ESB. That's not a problem in itself. What is an issue is when one writer says "lol i dont wanna do that" and effectively retcons what they don't like.

Sure. Star Wars changed a lot as the concept was being developed and continued to change as it was written, filmed, and edited but at least there was a consistent handling throughout and, for better or worse, the same person overseeing it all. I've heard that stuff from Johnson before, it's still just mind boggling.

2018-11-20, 3:45 AM #436
I watched Bohemian Rhapsody, and I thought it was great, not even being a big Queen fan beforehand.

They don't go into real depth of the darker sides of Queen/Freddy Mercury (the disease, the drugs, the confliict, the struggle of coming to grips with his homosexuality of himself and his surroundings, ... were all just briefly touched upon) and it works surprisingly well.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2018-11-20, 4:51 AM #437
Sure. Star Wars changed a lot as the concept was being developed and continued to change as it was written, filmed, and edited but at least there was a consistent handling throughout and, for better or worse, the same person overseeing it all. I've heard that stuff from Johnson before, it's still just mind boggling.

Ohhh, no. Lucas might have been in charge on paper but it was never that way in reality. Chaos was in charge of the original Star Wars. Empire and Jedi were written, directed, and even produced by other people. George Lucas set the scenario and stamped his feet a lot, but many of the most beloved moments in the latter two films only happened because the cast revolted against him. And the original story Lucas had would be unrecognizable without his ex wife’s feedback.

And for those of us born after 1983, the only reason we’ve even heard of a Star Wars is because of Timothy Zahn (for the NYT best-selling Thrawn trilogy) and Lawrence Holland (for the 1993 best selling game X-Wing). Those projects are why Star Wars is a universe instead of Desert Planet, Jungle Planet, and Forest Planet.

I’m not saying Lucas didn’t contribute anything. He did, but he was a lot more of a passenger than is obvious.
2018-11-20, 4:56 AM #438
By the way, isn’t that the life? Get a bunch of insanely talented people excited just to be there and pour their souls into making what you want to see, and then making billions of dollars off it? What kind of demented ****wit comes down from that golden ****ing throne in the sky to shovel **** again?
2018-11-20, 6:49 AM #439
Those projects are why Star Wars is a universe instead of Desert Planet, Jungle Planet, and Forest Planet.

Wow, the movies were a much richer, larger universe than you're giving them credit for. For instance, remember Snow Planet?
2018-11-20, 8:27 AM #440
Snow was my favorite.

↑ Up to the top!