Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything Movies
Anything Movies
2019-07-12, 10:30 PM #801
Originally posted by Reid:
Wait, they never release a bluray bundle for harry potter? Why the f not?

Well... I own one, so there's my existence proof. But I'm not a harry potter fan so I don't know what's wrong with it.
2019-07-12, 10:33 PM #802
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Well... I own one, so there's my existence proof. But I'm not a harry potter fan so I don't know what's wrong with it.

Ah, I see, it's a thing of fans being fans.
2019-07-12, 10:50 PM #803
Looking online I guess the case is crappy? My wife didn't complain when she was changing discs though, so I can't verify that.
2019-07-12, 11:06 PM #804
I believe the complaint is not including the extended versions of films that had them included on their original DVD releases. I'd also seen complaints about the case previously.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2019-07-12, 11:08 PM #805
I don't know why you'd want more of the movies. Kinda like the Hobbit extended editions.
2019-07-12, 11:17 PM #806
Well, apparently the 31 disc set has them for the first two films. Probably the only two that released any. I know my old DVDs have them. I have the Hobbit Extended versions also and don't regret having them or watching the films but I know exactly what you mean. A year or so back I read the book with my son. I have no idea why Peter Jackson did what he did with that story. I still enjoy it but the original tale is just so much better.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2019-07-12, 11:40 PM #807
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I don't know why you'd want more of the movies. Kinda like the Hobbit extended editions.

Yeah. I felt the pacing was fine in the theatrical? I guess fans are just too into the sauce to realize it but sometimes things are cut for good reasons.
2019-07-13, 1:42 AM #808
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I have no idea why Peter Jackson did what he did with that story.

Because Warner Bros. owed Harvey Weinstein royalties on the first movie, so they split it into three movies so Warner could keep more of the profit.
2019-07-13, 12:31 PM #809
"Cinematography" is the most annoying buzzword when talking about film.
2019-07-13, 2:25 PM #810
I don't even really care about the three parts of the story it's more how much they deviated from the story and added unnecessarily whimsical elements to it. The book is clearly a children's story but not because it's dumbed down for kids. It's just kid friendly. I feel like the story was just really dumbed down in the films. Having said that I happily bought the extended editions when I saw them for a decent price and every year or so we work our way through Jackson's Tolkein stories.

Also, when I was a kid that animated Hobbit show came out. That cartoon is more faithful to the original story and less dumbed down. I'm not mad at Jackson, though. I've mentioned here in the past that his King Kong film is probably the film I have purchased the most copies of. Three DVDs, blu-ray, and 4K blu-ray. I've even thought of picking up the HD-DVD just because.

2019-07-13, 4:50 PM #811
Anyone watched Shin Godzilla? I was a huge fan of Godzilla when I was a child but nostalgia aside, the old Japanese monster films usually don't really do it for me although I'm going to try to give more of them a chance now with the most recent Godzilla film sort of reenergizing my interest. Anyway, I heard good things about Shin Godzilla from some YouTube reviewers so I just went ahead and ordered it. I actually watched it the night we drove home from New Orleans (Amazon had delivered it while we were gone). I thought it was a pretty good damn movie. It's the first Japanese monster film with long, "boring", human talking parts that really didn't seem to bother me. I actually really enjoyed seeing the Japanese politics and opinions in the film. It seemed like a pretty fresh reboot although, not being a huge fan anymore, I'm not up with if this series of Godzilla is going to continue. Mentioned previously, I'm not much of a fan of the new animated Netflix stuff. I think I started the third one but never went back to it. I probably will at some point.

I ordered the DVD for the original as well. I think it's a Criterion version that has the original and the Americanized version. I have no idea when the last time I watched it was but I do remember in the American parts some scientist was explaining Godzilla and had a dinosaur book. I have a faint childhood memory of being at someone's house and they had that book and gave it to me. I guess it must have been at least twenty years old at that point.

2019-07-13, 9:23 PM #812
Watched Mean Streets. It really seems Scorsese built an entire career telling the same story about the same kinds of people.

It's really interesting as a historical piece, you can see a LOT of Scorsese experimenting with ideas that would be fully fleshed out in films like Goodfellas. As a film now it's a bit rough, but for 1973 the editing must have seemed top notch and highly original. But for someone who just wants a good Scorsese film.. just watch Goodfellas, it's similar in so many ways but just strictly better execution on almost all of them. I'd stay away unless you're a big De Niro or Scorsese fan.
2019-07-13, 9:39 PM #813
Also I'm pretty sure the character of Ziggy from The Wire was taken from De Niro's character in Mean Streets.
2019-07-14, 9:51 AM #814
Since the topic of The Wire keeps coming up I looked up an episode of the Jocko podcast which relates to it. About the first 10 minutes directly relates. You might find the interview interesting as well.

https://youtu.be/18PDWLV0zrE

2019-07-14, 7:09 PM #815
Original material aside, the Hobbit moves are total cinematic garbage in just about every single way. There's nothing in that mess that could have been salvaged into a watchable movie.

Just watched Alita, and I was surprised at how much of that was solidly executed. The big picture plot direction was just run by a committee of morons.
2019-07-14, 8:59 PM #816
Apparently the writers for The Rise of Skywalker are JJ Abrams, of course, and some guy whose only films of note are.. Batman vs. Superman, and The Justice League, two horrible flops. I guess not even Kasdan is involved this time?

Also, apparently the teaser trailer has Luke's lightsaber, which we know was destroyed, and the Millennium Falcon has the circular radar dish, making some speculate time travel. I'm not on board with that, but I guess JJ Abrams literally said "**** it" when asked about the story and it was featured in Endgame so.. maybe?

I really, really, deeply hope they do add time travel though. It would make The Rise of Skywalker so irredeemably stupid I'd fall in love with it.
2019-07-14, 9:51 PM #817
I really, really, deeply hope they do add time travel though. It would make The Rise of Skywalker so irredeemably stupid I'd fall in love with it.

What are your thoughts on Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home?
My blawgh.
2019-07-14, 10:05 PM #818
Since the topic of The Wire keeps coming up I looked up an episode of the Jocko podcast which relates to it. About the first 10 minutes directly relates. You might find the interview interesting as well.

https://youtu.be/18PDWLV0zrE

That was a very interesting conversation. Thank you for sharing that with me.
2019-07-14, 10:18 PM #819
Apparently the writers for The Rise of Skywalker are JJ Abrams, of course, and some guy whose only films of note are.. Batman vs. Superman, and The Justice League, two horrible flops. I guess not even Kasdan is involved this time?

Also, apparently the teaser trailer has Luke's lightsaber, which we know was destroyed, and the Millennium Falcon has the circular radar dish, making some speculate time travel. I'm not on board with that, but I guess JJ Abrams literally said "**** it" when asked about the story and it was featured in Endgame so.. maybe?

Oooo and maybe some CGI young Han and young Luke and young Leia?
former entrepreneur
2019-07-14, 10:25 PM #820
Sorry to regurgitate a meme, but no one's ever really gone.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2019-07-14, 11:10 PM #821
They are if you see their casket in the body
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2019-07-14, 11:29 PM #822
Come on now, that's just crude matter: ever profitable beings are we.
2019-07-14, 11:33 PM #823
Originally posted by Spook:
They are if you see their casket in the body

yeah definitely then
2019-07-15, 9:22 AM #824
That was a very interesting conversation. Thank you for sharing that with me.

I decided to rewatch/listen to it myself and if you saw the whole thing you can probably see why I think several people here might be interested in that particular episode. I specifically thought about Jon especially with regards to the guests consulting work pertaining to banking as well as his conflict regarding his dosing model as a resident.

2019-07-15, 9:23 AM #825
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
What are your thoughts on Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home?

My thought is I haven't seen it :/ or any Star Trek anything for that matter, unfortunately.

Originally posted by Eversor:
Oooo and maybe some CGI young Han and young Luke and young Leia?

YES PLEASE.
2019-07-16, 12:38 AM #826

And that way Disney could easily reboot every other Star Wars movie. Kinda like what Star Trek did.
Sorry for the lousy German
2019-07-16, 1:10 AM #827
[https://i.imgur.com/Ny0cd5e.png]

TIL - Orson Welles played King Louis XVIII in a Soviet film.
2019-07-16, 1:37 AM #828

Shoutout to this scene for being the most terrifying thing ever put on film.
2019-07-16, 8:59 AM #829
Perhaps inspired by Reid's Scorsese binge I saw The Departed for the first time the other night.

Microprocessors.
former entrepreneur
2019-07-16, 9:30 AM #830
Originally posted by Eversor:
Perhaps inspired by Reid's Scorsese binge I saw The Departed for the first time the other night.

Microprocessors.

Noo! Now I have to watch it!

How was it?
2019-07-16, 9:31 AM #831
I decided to rewatch/listen to it myself and if you saw the whole thing you can probably see why I think several people here might be interested in that particular episode. I specifically thought about Jon especially with regards to the guests consulting work pertaining to banking as well as his conflict regarding his dosing model as a resident.

Yeah the dosing thing is curious, apparently very specific dose amounts are necessary but they followed a rule of thumb for the most part? Seems incredibly reckless. I have no idea if his equation was actually a better fit, but he's right it seemed worth investigating at least.
2019-07-16, 11:16 AM #832

Shoutout to this scene for being the most terrifying thing ever put on film.

I forget what a treasure David Lynch is but then I see almost anything from his movies and holy ****
2019-07-16, 1:00 PM #833

How was it?

Real good
former entrepreneur
2019-07-16, 1:57 PM #834
Soooo good!
2019-07-17, 12:06 AM #835

How was it?

Funny thing is, depending on which you watch first, you'll like the original Infernal Affairs more. At least that was my impression. I had watched Infernal Affairs first and then The Departed and liked Infernal Affairs more. Then after some time I watched The Departed first and then Infernal Affairs and then I liked The Departed more.
Sorry for the lousy German
2019-07-17, 7:37 PM #836
Originally posted by Impi:
Funny thing is, depending on which you watch first, you'll like the original Infernal Affairs more. At least that was my impression. I had watched Infernal Affairs first and then The Departed and liked Infernal Affairs more. Then after some time I watched The Departed first and then Infernal Affairs and then I liked The Departed more.

I guess I'll flip a coin.

This scene captures mental unhealth so well.
2019-07-18, 6:37 PM #837
[https://i.redd.it/y8zdmpq6d8qy.png]

This is one of the funniest goddamn things ever. Nobody can top this level of Reddit.
2019-07-18, 7:16 PM #838
Never heard of Whiplash.

2019-07-18, 7:32 PM #839
It's about the victim of an abusive and unrealistically fit band director.
2019-07-18, 8:53 PM #840
Just learned this is a thing:

↑ Up to the top!