Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything Movies
Anything Movies
2017-05-15, 1:21 PM #41
Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 yesterday. Most fun I've had watching a film in quite some time. Saw the 3d version, I normally don't do them but it was a good choice for this one. Spoiler review below.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

We are all Groot.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-05-16, 5:08 AM #42
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Nope.

Meh, no one has. I kinda regret having bought ~2000 euros worth of UE4 assets..

And to remember that just about 4 years ago, I had my 15 minutes of actual Internet fame. Oy.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-05-16, 5:26 AM #43
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:

And to remember that just about 4 years ago, I had my 15 minutes of actual Internet fame. Oy.

You got 2013 Mod of the Year? Congrats!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2017-05-16, 8:13 AM #44
: |

thx hoss
2017-05-16, 10:55 AM #45
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:

Don't worry, the list of (new) games that I haven't played in that time frame puts you in good company (i.e., all of them).
2017-05-18, 4:04 PM #46
I was kind of expecting a little more obscure titles in this video but it's an interesting collection nonetheless. I don't believe I've ever heard of Moon and I don't think I ever bothered to go back and watch Andromeda Strain. It does look like a strong list, though.

"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-05-22, 1:58 PM #47
Moon is fantastic
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2017-06-03, 4:09 PM #48
Okay, you have got to be F****** kidding me.

2017-09-30, 1:58 PM #49
So I heard that Blade Runner 2049 is fantastic and innovates beyond the original.

Excited to watch it on Netflix in 6 months.
2017-09-30, 5:02 PM #50
Rotten Tomatoes is rating it well, I'll go see it since I liked the original enough.
2017-09-30, 11:48 PM #51
[Unable to find specified attachment]
2017-10-01, 2:31 AM #52
Originally posted by Reid:
Rotten Tomatoes is rating it well, I'll go see it since I liked the original enough.

Denis Villeneuve has only made amazing films so far; he's one of my favourite directors these days alongside Asghar Farhadi.
2017-10-01, 3:19 AM #53
The last movie I watched which I really liked is Baby Driver.

It's almost like a musical that pretends to be an action / car chase film. Will be rewatching it.

The one one I'd really liked was Ghost in the Shell (the movie). I think it's very underrated.

And yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was great, but I remember sitting there in the theater and thinking that it's a bit formulaic -- as in, I was going, "yep, if you wanna make a besteller, include this and that, check."

:)
幻術
2017-10-01, 4:20 AM #54
Originally posted by Recusant:
Denis Villeneuve has only made amazing films so far; he's one of my favourite directors these days alongside Asghar Farhadi.

I haven't seen anything he's made, what other films would you recommend?
2017-10-01, 8:21 AM #55
I haven't seen anything he's made, what other films would you recommend?

If you're looking forward to Bladerunner then the obvious suggestion would be Arrival given it's a fairly intelligent sci-fi and his most recent work.

I'm struggling to rank his films as I like them all so much. I've seen all of them except Maelstrom. Enemy and Polytechnique are fairly experimental so might not be a good starting point. The rest of the films tend to be comparatively straightforward mystery/thrillers. All have beautiful cinematography, compelling characters and some jaw-dropping twists. He does go in for violent realism quite a bit though so your enjoyment may depend on how much you can stomach sometimes bleak films.
2018-08-10, 12:36 AM #56
I watched a movie on Netflix called "Hardcore Henry." It was a really dumb, really fun movie. The movie is entirely first person and it takes a few minutes to get used to the motion. The movie had no real plot or characters to speak of, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you can enjoy mindless action movies or games you would probably like it. It never takes itself too seriously; they knowingly made a dumb, loud, ridiculous action movie. It's pretty brutal and violent. It's basically a movie of Duke Nukem/GTA video game. The protagonist has no voice, just follows directions the whole time, collects random gear. It's a video game made into a movie. It's sort of divided up into "levels" and even has the stupid intro/training mission at the beginning. It's only 90 minutes long, supremely idiotic, and very entertaining. If you can stomach the first person perspective, lack of significant plot, and the violence, it's worth a viewing.
2018-08-11, 11:09 AM #57
We recently did the Back to the Future trilogy. They really did a good job of portraying the look and feel of the 1980s.

2018-09-02, 6:54 PM #58

Ah, interesting. I guess quite a bit of what went on around The Last Jedi makes sense now.

Listening to this take made me realize that people actually, genuinely believe what The Last Jedi did was clever. And they thought catching the in your face, deafiningly loud themes means the film did something really subtle.

I thought the film's negations of Empire Strikes Back in tandem with the socially progressive stance was the most obvious feature of the movie. It was surface level that they were trying to not do typical male hero thing to rattle some stuff up and be more feminist.

Apparently, these people think the film connecting angry Star Wars fans to Kylo Ren wasn't super obvious, and that "lol men are mad for not being in the lead role" thing is profound insight.

It's like 2016 Ghostbusters but I guess a little less obvious.

I wouldn't watch the video except for a few minutes to get the one message it repeats throughout the whole thing. All it says is "men expect men to be the hero, but they get butthurt because the film subverts that expectation".
2018-09-02, 6:57 PM #59
On another note, "Dark" on Netflix is really amazing and probably my favorite show of the 2010s so far. I highly encourage anyone who finds the synopsis interesting to watch it.
2018-09-02, 10:01 PM #60
socially progressive stance

You goddamn Yanks and your Hollywood movies with "human rights" messages.

When I take a dump, the toilet has a far better human rights record than the USA ever will.
2018-09-03, 1:29 AM #61
I'm off to see Mission Impossible - Fallout this afternoon, and as you guys can imagine, I'm mondo stoked.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2018-09-03, 4:10 PM #62
Finally Netflixed TLJ the other night. I actually liked the end fight a bit more and Luke's ending bothered me a lot less. I still think much of the movie is a waste of time and my biggest lol and still favorite moment is near the end when Hux loudly repeats Ren's command and Kylo Ren shoots an annoyed look at him. That is a fantastic cinematic moment and nearly redeems the film alone.

2018-09-03, 5:00 PM #63
Listening to this take made me realize that people actually, genuinely believe what The Last Jedi did was clever. And they thought catching the in your face, deafiningly loud themes means the film did something really subtle.

I couldn't resist...

TLJ is different, though. To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand TLJ. The message is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical writing most of the metaphors will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Kylo Ren's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Nietzshean literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of this characterization, to realize that they're not just cool- they say something deep about LIFE.
former entrepreneur
2018-09-03, 5:00 PM #64
According to some, that's because the movie is some kind of postmodern masterpiece that subverts your expectations.

Subverts your expectations that most of the plot will be relevant, yeah.
2018-09-03, 5:05 PM #65
deafiningly (sic) loud and subtle at the same time. Only very high IQ people will understand.
former entrepreneur
2018-09-03, 5:11 PM #66
It’s about as close to a postmodernist exploration of dark and gritty blockbuster sequels as you can get without being one.
2018-09-03, 8:15 PM #67
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It’s about as close to a postmodernist exploration of dark and gritty blockbuster sequels as you can get without being one.

That's true. Complicated enough that some actually won't get it. Enough is there for people to make lots of YouTube videos. Simple enough to be not mistaken. Simple enough to follow the plot and ignore the themes.

Originally posted by Eversor:
deafiningly (sic) loud and subtle at the same time. Only very high IQ people will understand.

You know that older post you quoted was pure sarcasm, I hope.
2018-09-03, 8:18 PM #68
You know that older post you quoted was pure sarcasm, I hope.

That's what I was thinking. Eversor's posts had me super confused, lol
2018-09-04, 9:11 AM #69
Damn my attempts to troll really backfired there
former entrepreneur
2018-09-04, 9:12 AM #70
I wanted to fight :(
former entrepreneur
2018-09-04, 1:45 PM #71
I saw BlackkKlansman last week.

It was v good.
nope.
2018-09-15, 9:22 AM #72
Interesting bit of trivia I came across this morning. Bill Paxton is one of only two actors to play characters that have been killed by a Predator, Alien, and Terminator. The other being Lance Henriksen who doesn't fit the criteria as perfectly as Paxton but I suppose he should get credit as well.

2018-09-26, 6:25 PM #73
Man, there will never be another movie quite like Fellowship of the Ring ever again, will there? It's just so damn good.
2018-09-27, 7:56 PM #74
You know, that probably was the best of the three but I love them all. I enjoyed the Hobbit films but I will admit, they are not to the same level. Legolas is almost cartoony. Not even almost. I also love Jackson's Kong. So much so that it is the only film I have on DVD, bluray, and 4K bluray. I have a collector's version of the DVD. Which I purchased after I had already had the theatrical DVD and the extended DVD (I've since donated or given those away since they're both on the collector's version. Funny thing is I purchased that one in Kuwait waiting to go to Iraq for very little in the PX. In Iraq I found The Production Diaries in the PX for very cheap. I actually have all the real King Kong films on disc EXCEPT for King Kong Lives which I have not been able to bring myself to buy. Not at the prices I've seen it.

Anyway, picked up the most recent Jurassic World film. Weakest one of the bunch in my opinion. I don't regret buying it but I'm glad I didn't pay for us all to see it in the theater.

2018-09-27, 9:04 PM #75
The Two Towers was the first movie I fell asleep during at a movie theatre and Return of the King was the second. I thought they'd never end. FotR was good though.
former entrepreneur
2018-09-27, 9:10 PM #76
Try staying awake while babysitting a couple of kids who watch the extended version of those films, over and over again! The Return of the King is over four hours long!
2018-09-27, 9:26 PM #77
Originally posted by Eversor:
The Two Towers was the first movie I fell asleep during at a movie theatre and Return of the King was the second. I thought they'd never end. FotR was good though.

That's odd, Star Trek Nemesis came out 5 days earlier.
2018-09-27, 9:44 PM #78
Originally posted by Wookie06:
You know, that probably was the best of the three but I love them all. I enjoyed the Hobbit films but I will admit, they are not to the same level. Legolas is almost cartoony. Not even almost. I also love Jackson's Kong. So much so that it is the only film I have on DVD, bluray, and 4K bluray. I have a collector's version of the DVD. Which I purchased after I had already had the theatrical DVD and the extended DVD (I've since donated or given those away since they're both on the collector's version. Funny thing is I purchased that one in Kuwait waiting to go to Iraq for very little in the PX. In Iraq I found The Production Diaries in the PX for very cheap. I actually have all the real King Kong films on disc EXCEPT for King Kong Lives which I have not been able to bring myself to buy. Not at the prices I've seen it.

Anyway, picked up the most recent Jurassic World film. Weakest one of the bunch in my opinion. I don't regret buying it but I'm glad I didn't pay for us all to see it in the theater.

I haven't watched all of The Hobbit films. I love LOTR but they can drag on in places. I agree with Eversor too, I feel like The Fellowship of the Ring is the best paced of the LOTR. The other two dragged even in the theatrical cuts, and the extended versions are painful at times.
2018-09-27, 9:44 PM #79

Fellowship also has my favorite dolly zoom of all time.
2018-09-27, 10:07 PM #80
Also. watched the (despecialized) version of Empire Strikes Back again. What a solid film. Great script, lots of great acting and scenes, solid cinematography.. there's not a lot to complain about.

Noticed small details which build up some characters really well. When Vader is walking down a catwalk to Admiral Ozzel, uncentered in the shot are a bunch of workers eyeballing him as he walks by. It's clear everybody has heard rumors about Vader and their looks cast the perfect expression of a kind of fear. Not like active fear, because it's as if they think the rumors might not be true. Or maybe I'm reading into it, but it's an amazing shot which says so much with so little.

↑ Up to the top!