Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
2014-11-06, 1:57 PM #361
We get to choose our own one.
2014-11-06, 1:57 PM #362
Mike Mac was the hero all along, we just never saw it.
2014-11-06, 3:13 PM #363
Okay, I just have to remain spoiler-free for 13 more months!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-07, 6:23 AM #364
The title is cheesy and unoriginal, but then again pretty much all of the Star Wars titles are. That's kind of the thing, they all sound like B movie titles. Really the only thing that bothers me about the title is the removal of "Episode VII". I read in multiple articles that this may be so they can distance this new trilogy from the prequels since they weren't received well. However, it makes no sense when you're bringing back characters of the original trilogy which were already labeled as IV, V, and VI. Clearly if they are in this movie the Episode VII title should stand as it is.

I just find that part annoying. If they are removing the episode number there's a good chance they'll be taking a lot of liberties with the Star Wars canon that's already been established because this is more of its own separate thing.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2014-11-07, 7:01 AM #365
Honestly, I love Star Wars as much as The Next Guy (well, a lot more, I suppose), but who cares if they change up the title structure, and who cares if they take liberties with the established canon. It's not like the canon of Star Wars is some untainted, beautiful thing.
2014-11-07, 8:26 AM #366
I'd imagine they're removing the numbers because they plan to make a lot more movies than just three.
2014-11-07, 8:34 AM #367
Maybe they're removing the numbers because they think children are smart enough to count to seven.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-07, 8:35 AM #368
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
The title is cheesy and unoriginal, but then again pretty much all of the Star Wars titles are. That's kind of the thing, they all sound like B movie titles. Really the only thing that bothers me about the title is the removal of "Episode VII". I read in multiple articles that this may be so they can distance this new trilogy from the prequels since they weren't received well. However, it makes no sense when you're bringing back characters of the original trilogy which were already labeled as IV, V, and VI. Clearly if they are in this movie the Episode VII title should stand as it is.

I just find that part annoying. If they are removing the episode number there's a good chance they'll be taking a lot of liberties with the Star Wars canon that's already been established because this is more of its own separate thing.

Also, this entire post is neckbeard pissnerd bull****.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-07, 8:50 AM #369
Originally posted by Tracer:
Okay, I just have to remain spoiler-free for 13 more months!

Oh yeah?

Originally posted by saberopus:
Mike Mac was the hero all along, we just never saw it.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-11-07, 9:51 AM #370
suck it, Tracerrrrrr
2014-11-07, 10:30 AM #371
Terrible title.

I like that they're not calling it episode VII.

Not that it really matters.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-11-07, 10:49 AM #372
I hope it will have Carrie Fisher in a slave outfit again.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-11-07, 10:57 AM #373
:gonk:
2014-11-07, 11:07 AM #374
I think they're removing the numbers because after 6 it starts to sound ridiculous.

Star Wars 9: Yoda's Bar Mitzvah
nope.
2014-11-07, 11:58 AM #375
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Star Wars 9: Yoda's Bar Mitzvah

I'll only watch this if it's set in Yoda's House.
2014-11-07, 2:34 PM #376
Originally posted by Antony:
Also, this entire post is neckbeard pissnerd bull****.

Well, it is Movemeber.

But seriously, enlighten me on how my post is anything but true? I'm not saying you have to agree with wanting the numbers in the title. I'm simply pointing out that by using the same characters nobody is going to view this movie as anything other than a sequel (Episode VII). So why even change it in the first place? Just seems rather silly.
Author of the JK levels:

2014-11-07, 5:44 PM #377
I'm struggling to think of anything with this many numbered sequels that uses the same characters that isn't Police Academy.
nope.
2014-11-07, 6:26 PM #378
Well, it is Movemeber.

But seriously, enlighten me on how my post is anything but true? I'm not saying you have to agree with wanting the numbers in the title. I'm simply pointing out that by using the same characters nobody is going to view this movie as anything other than a sequel (Episode VII). So why even change it in the first place? Just seems rather silly.

My entire point is this: What makes the goddamn difference?
>>untie shoes
2014-11-07, 6:31 PM #379
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I'm struggling to think of anything with this many numbered sequels that uses the same characters that isn't Police Academy.

Well, the Fast and the Furious films are getting there.
2014-11-07, 6:55 PM #380
My entire point is this: What makes the goddamn difference?

Well at least you made a valid argument.
Author of the JK levels:

2014-11-07, 7:51 PM #381
Well at least you made a valid argument.

Oh I'm sorry. You don't like the fact that the title of the movie doesn't have the word "Episode" in it along with a roman numeral. You also don't like that it's "unoriginal". You went on to suggest that the lack of a roman numeral indicates in some way that they'll be diverging from "the canon" (side note: is it possible for someone to talk about whether something is canon or not without sounding like a ****ing tool?). Surely you have reasons for all of this. Please list them.

I apologize because I obviously forgot to give you a chance to back up these certainly compelling viewpoints. Please elaborate on why the movie is bad now.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-07, 10:38 PM #382
Oh I'm sorry. You don't like the fact that the title of the movie doesn't have the word "Episode" in it along with a roman numeral. You also don't like that it's "unoriginal". You went on to suggest that the lack of a roman numeral indicates in some way that they'll be diverging from "the canon" (side note: is it possible for someone to talk about whether something is canon or not without sounding like a ****ing tool?). Surely you have reasons for all of this. Please list them.

I apologize because I obviously forgot to give you a chance to back up these certainly compelling viewpoints. Please elaborate on why the movie is bad now.

Although I'm going against my better judgment, I feel compelled to at least clear up the fact that I never mentioned that the movie would be bad as a result of the title. That would be asinine to think that the title of a movie somehow indicates the quality of said movie.

In fact, if you go reread my original post, I stated that all of the Star Wars movies had pretty cheesy titles. I'm a huge fan of Star Wars and despite them having very clichéd and predictable movie titles, they obviously were still hugely successful.

My only beef is that I felt the lack of the inclusion of the episode number seemed rather pointless. Abrams or Disney or whoever the collective mindset behind the change did so for a purpose, and if it was to distance the movie from the previous ones they have every right to do so. I just think it's a stupid change, and no one is going to see this movie as anything but a direct sequel to the original trilogy.

Also, I'm not a big canon buff, but there is something to say about a series of movies that has an already established lore. I want this movie to be original, that's great. I just get a little sick of all of the modern day reboots taking liberties with stories to just so they can be different. It's my own personal opinion, but if that makes me a tool in your eyes then so be it.
Author of the JK levels:

2014-11-08, 7:44 AM #383
Although I'm going against my better judgment, I feel compelled to at least clear up the fact that I never mentioned that the movie would be bad as a result of the title. That would be asinine to think that the title of a movie somehow indicates the quality of said movie.

In fact, if you go reread my original post, I stated that all of the Star Wars movies had pretty cheesy titles. I'm a huge fan of Star Wars and despite them having very clichéd and predictable movie titles, they obviously were still hugely successful.

My only beef is that I felt the lack of the inclusion of the episode number seemed rather pointless. Abrams or Disney or whoever the collective mindset behind the change did so for a purpose, and if it was to distance the movie from the previous ones they have every right to do so. I just think it's a stupid change, and no one is going to see this movie as anything but a direct sequel to the original trilogy.

Also, I'm not a big canon buff, but there is something to say about a series of movies that has an already established lore. I want this movie to be original, that's great. I just get a little sick of all of the modern day reboots taking liberties with stories to just so they can be different. It's my own personal opinion, but if that makes me a tool in your eyes then so be it.

Well, you're right about one thing, but you weren't quite expansive enough in thinking about it. Assuming that a title indicates almost anything about a movie is asinine, not just whether the movie is good or not.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-08, 9:48 AM #384
This thread needs to have its title amended.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-11-08, 9:22 PM #385
No, no it doesn't.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-11-09, 12:30 AM #386
In film, as in many things, you need to justify keeping things in. You don't need to justify taking things out. So if getting rid of something is "pointless" because it won't make a difference whether it's there or not, then it's probably better to get rid of it.
2014-11-10, 3:10 PM #387
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
No, no it doesn't.

I'm with FGR. We really need to take the "7" out.
2014-11-10, 3:30 PM #388
The F***ing Article is a goofy name because it's going to be a goofy movie, which is appropriate because all of the other movies are over-the-top, goofy movies for children ages 6 to 14, which also have appropriately goofy titles.

"The Empire Strikes Back" was an homage to the cheesy movies Lucas grew up with. A New Hope, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith are all dumb ****ing cheesy names. And the worst name of all? Star Wars. Hmm I wonder what that movie's about?

The only reason you don't think this **** is ridiculous is because you liked it when you were a child and you're used to it. But, let's all get a little perspective here. We're on a website for Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. The only reason it could be more droll is if the fourth subtitle were something "of the" something else, where something and something else are suitably stacked with melodrama.
2014-11-10, 3:32 PM #389
A ****ing movie series about an evil wizard who literally kidnaps a beautiful princess and is defeated by teddy bears and paternal love.

**** you.
2014-11-10, 6:27 PM #390
The only way to legitimately enjoy Star Wars outside of nostalgia is to see it for exactly what it is, which is pretty much exactly what Jon`C just described.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-10, 9:23 PM #391
:(
2014-11-11, 3:52 AM #392
I want to add a disclaimer here, though: I absolutely love Star Wars. I routinely watch, and enjoy, the entire film series.

It's really weird how you can actually enjoy yourself if you don't engage in self deception about the media you consume.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-11, 6:26 AM #393
The only way to legitimately enjoy- -

Wow.
2014-11-11, 9:32 AM #394
Originally posted by Jon`C:
A ****ing movie series about an evil wizard who literally kidnaps a beautiful princess and is defeated by teddy bears and paternal love.

**** you.

If you read this post and imagine Louis CK delivering the message it's pretty amusing.
Author of the JK levels:

2014-11-11, 9:33 AM #395
I don't understand what you problem is with that word choice, FGR.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-11, 9:38 AM #396
Fine!

The only way- -

FINNE?
2014-11-11, 9:43 AM #397
There's a reason that whole sentence is a whole sentence.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-11, 8:18 PM #398
Can the new Star Wars films bring back Natalie Portman somehow? Oh oh and that Twink or whatever in that Order 66 scene.
2014-11-12, 3:51 PM #399
You're all a bunch of sanctimonious nerds.
nope.
2014-11-12, 11:05 PM #400
I don't understand what you problem is with that word choice, FGR.

it's probably scotsman-related

↑ Up to the top!