Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
2014-11-13, 3:44 AM #401
You snarky *******.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-23, 11:55 AM #402
Hey, I'm hearing rumors that a teaser trailer will be released on American Thanksgiving! Whenever that is.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-23, 12:16 PM #403
All you have to do is listen to the winds, for you will know when the time has come if you can hear the nerd rage from the distant lands.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-11-23, 2:28 PM #404
I'm feeling uncautiously optomistic about this for some reason.
nope.
2014-11-23, 4:38 PM #405
I can't see how it could be terrible or generally bad. No real signs of it going south. If anything, it might formulaic.
2014-11-24, 1:09 AM #406
Originally posted by Tracer:
Hey, I'm hearing rumors that a teaser trailer will be released on American Thanksgiving! Whenever that is.

You should be hearing rumors that the 5th anniversary of TODOA is approaching.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-11-24, 5:40 PM #407
Apparently, there'll be a trailer this week. It'll debut Friday in theatres, and play before every film in these theatres this weekend:

Irvine, CA Edwards Irvine Spectrum 22 & IMAX
San Diego, CA Edwards Mira Mesa Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
Atlanta, GA Regal Atlantic Station Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
Chicago, IL Regal City North Stadium 14 IMAX & RPX
New York, NY Regal Union Square Stadium 14
Warrington, PA Regal Warrington Crossing Stadium 22 & IMAX
Knoxville, TN Regal Pinnacle Stadium 18 IMAX & RPX
Houston, TX Edwards Houston Marq’E Stadium 23 IMAX & RPX
Seattle, WA Regal Thornton Place Stadium 14 & IMAX

www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/385933-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-to-debut-in-select-theaters-this-friday
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-11-24, 6:13 PM #408
Hmm, 88 seconds. I hope it's not like half logos though.

Anyway I've done well so far, the only things I've spoiled for myself are the Falcon's antenna, and the new look stormtrooper and X-Wing.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-25, 7:44 AM #409
AGHH DAMMIT, Tracer, now I know the Falcon's antenna is gonna be in it, you *******!
2014-11-25, 7:45 AM #410
Someone go see Hungah Games and report back to us on this teaser, okay?
2014-11-25, 8:11 AM #411
they'll probably only show the first half of the teaser
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-11-25, 8:37 AM #412
So is it a trailer or a teaser? Or are these two terms interchangeable. Why TINY? I feel like that implies like a logo shot and some dialog. Maybe a scene of a ship flying by, horizontally ofc.

I remember people lined up for the trailer for the Phantom Menace. I'm surprised they aren't doing that sort of thing again, I wonder if people will pay ticket price, see the teaser/trailer and leave.
2014-11-25, 8:47 AM #413
I hope not. There's something kinda pathetic about paying ~10 bucks for access to the marketing material for something. I'm plenty interested in how this film is going to look, what it's going to be, but I'm not going to pay for the privilege to get a glimpse of that slightly earlier than I otherwise would.
2014-11-25, 9:25 AM #414
I'm sure it'll find its way to the internet, whatever it is.
2014-11-25, 9:25 AM #415
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I remember people lined up for the trailer for the Phantom Menace. I'm surprised they aren't doing that sort of thing again, I wonder if people will pay ticket price, see the teaser/trailer and leave.

The biggest reason they aren't doing that sort of thing again is probably The Phantom Menace.
2014-11-25, 3:55 PM #416
Originally posted by saberopus:
AGHH DAMMIT, Tracer, now I know the Falcon's antenna is gonna be in it, you *******!

Oh, but the real spoiler is this: The Falcon's antenna... is a RECTANGLE!!!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-26, 4:55 AM #417
It'll be some logos, then space and some shots of tattooine or whatever recognisable locations set to Luke's Theme or whatever that little leitmotif that he always uses it called, finished with a shot of either Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford.

Probably Harrison Ford.
nope.
2014-11-26, 10:25 AM #418
Oh, but the real spoiler is this: The Falcon's antenna... is a RECTANGLE!!!

i see dflt
2014-11-28, 7:08 AM #419
Trailer's up, you have to have ****ing Quicktime of all things to watch it.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/
nope.
2014-11-28, 7:28 AM #420
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Trailer's up, you have to have ****ing Quicktime of all things to watch it.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/

YouTube version for those of you who don't want to install QT, don't blame you.

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE
Nothing to see here, move along.
2014-11-28, 7:36 AM #421
Now I'm really confused about the timeline setting. And holy Cross-Saber, Batman!

Pretty smoooth!
2014-11-28, 10:29 AM #422
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Quicktime

Linux Python users:

Code:
$ youtube-dl http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/
[AppleTrailers] starwarstheforceawakens: Downloading XML
[AppleTrailers] r2w: Downloading settings json
[download] Downloading playlist: starwarstheforceawakens
[AppleTrailers] playlist starwarstheforceawakens: Collected 1 video ids (downloading 1 of them)
[download] Downloading video #1 of 1
[download] Destination: Teaser-starwarstheforceawakens-teaser.mov
[download]  32.3% of 100.08MiB at 426.30KiB/s ETA 02:42
2014-11-28, 1:18 PM #423
Whoa. What is Ray Rice doing in the middle of the desert?

Weird first shot.
2014-11-28, 3:18 PM #424
I like the small details, like how this rider has tan lines.
2014-11-28, 3:36 PM #425
Whoa. What is Ray Rice doing in the middle of the desert?

Weird first shot.

yeah, all black people look the same to you eh ECHOMAN?

racist.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-28, 3:42 PM #426
It should have been Steve Buscemi or someone who looks like Steve Buscemi so I could say "why is Steve Buscemi in the middle of the desert?"

That would have better
2014-11-28, 3:43 PM #427
Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Falcon vs. Ties is awesome

I like the look of the new stormtroopers and X-Wings but not the new rebel pilot helmet

Soccerball droid is a bit goofy

Is it Christmas 2015 yet
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-28, 3:44 PM #428
It should have been Steve Buscemi or someone who looks like Steve Buscemi so I could say "why is Steve Buscemi in the middle of the desert?"

That would have better

yeah they should have hired steve buscemi to play grandpa luke skywalker instead of washed-up mark hamill

SHEESH
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-28, 3:50 PM #429
One could argue that the Soccerball droid is somewhat practical on desert terrain. More so than astromech droids, who seem to work best attached to a ship.

I liked the X-Wing along the water scene the best. The pilot looked he was resigned to his fate or something. Are there bags under his eyes?
2014-11-28, 3:57 PM #430
It's hard to tell with the orange visor. I hope somebody kicks the ball droid.

I'm curious what the Aurebesh writing on the X-Wing flightsuit says.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-28, 6:00 PM #431
I'm not impressed.

What a godawful lightsaber design.

At least it's not a 12 handed droid spinning a dozen of them this time.
2014-11-28, 6:03 PM #432
Apparently it says "pull to inflate". yay!

Anyway here are my predictions for new Star Wars:

1. Han dies

2. Luke dies

3. The Falcon is heavily damaged/borderline destroyed, repaired and passed on to the new heroes

4. The droids see the new ball robot's advanced ambulatory system and sprial into a deep depression. C3PO kills himself.

OK so maybe just the first 3
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-28, 9:22 PM #433
It would be pretty hard for Luke to die and still be the villain in the 7th and 8th films.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-28, 9:25 PM #434
Also, I like the trailer. It looks and feels like Star Wars.

I was a bit put off by the lightsaber at first, but then I realized that it would be pretty dumb to make a judgement on something like that outside the context of the entire rest of the movie. The ball droid is neat. The X Wings are cool. The speeder is cool. The stormtroopers are cool. It's a teaser. There isn't context for anything.

The reaction to the lightsaber is the specific reason why JJ Abrams prefers to keep everything about his movies hidden from the public until release. Nerd-rage is the worst.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-29, 4:29 AM #435
Anyone else recognise the sound of a probe droid in the first scene?

I am worried now. The fact Jj Abrams changed the continuity of Star Trek means he isn't scared to do something drastic.

I am glad to see tie fighters and storm troopers but a bit of me thinks designs would have moved on as much as they did between revenge of the sith and a new hope - especially because it's been an even longer gap.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2014-11-29, 4:37 AM #436
Yeah, I noticed the sound. I really like the trailer (bored as hell of Tatooine, though, but I guess it's a must), but the only thing that really irks my SW-senses is "what's with the old tech all over even though the film is set 30 (or was it 70) years after RotJ". But eh, still better than the Yuuzhan drek.
2014-11-29, 6:44 AM #437
Originally posted by Goit:
I am glad to see tie fighters and storm troopers but a bit of me thinks designs would have moved on as much as they did between revenge of the sith and a new hope - especially because it's been an even longer gap.

Maybe it's because JJ Abrams noticed that one of the primary complaints people had about the prequels was that everything looked so dramatically different.

Also, while things change over 30 years, they have a tendency to stay the same.

That's 40 years difference. Sure, things got way different in between, but classic designs remain classic.

Let's also not forget that the F/A-18 Hornet has been in use for over 30 years, with some design changes here and there. The M16 has been in use since 1963, but it's been upgraded numerous times.

The point here is this: It's not a stretch at all, if you want to pretend like believability is even remotely a factor here, for military hardware to not change much at all over the course of 30 years. That being said, the Mustang makes a much, much better analogy, because people like what they already know. The fifth generation Mustang was wildly popular because it reminds people so much of why they like Mustangs to begin with. Staying with similar stormtroopers, tie fighters, and x wings makes sense when you're making a Star Wars movie, because people already like Star Wars. Sure, make some changes here and there to make it look more modern, but you don't **** with something too much when you know it's a terrific iconic design.

Also, FGR, it's not Tattooine.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-29, 6:45 AM #438
Originally posted by Antony:
It would be pretty hard for Luke to die and still be the villain in the 7th and 8th films.

...thanks for the spoiler. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Also, FGR, it's not Tattooine.

Could you please use the spoiler tags on stuff like this?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-29, 8:09 AM #439
The lightsaber reminded me of the trident lightsaber fad that went around in various JK mods for a while. :D
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2014-11-29, 8:45 AM #440
...thanks for the spoiler. :rolleyes:

Could you please use the spoiler tags on stuff like this?

I'm responding to baseless conjecture with plot points confirmed by reputable sources that have been widely circulated around the internet for months. I have never understood why people prefer to wildly speculate and develop their own idea of what a film is or what they think it should be, which almost universally leads to eventual nerd-rage when it doesn't work out the way they want to. If you want to talk about what you think is going to happen, don't sit there and get pissed off when someone tells you what is actually going to happen.

In other words, no, I won't use spoiler tags when responding to speculation with reality. Speculation is the worst.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!