Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
2014-06-06, 11:20 AM #281
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
I don't think that starfighter is functional. It has the engines of a Clone Z-95, but apparently the quad-wing design of an X-wing (notice the blasters) as well. The s-foils would never be able to open.

I could swear I've seen some EU ship designs that had something like that and just split the engine cylinder down the middle. They have some options to work with.

Originally posted by Antony:
I like how people are always complaining about how the prequels are nothing but CGI and how they need more practical effects. Nevermind the fact that Mustafar was created with the largest miniature set in the history of film. Nah, it's all CGI, right?

I read that article too, and it was pretty dumb.

Yeah, some of the stuff people thought was badly-composited CGI turned out to be badly-composited miniatures with a ton of CGI lathered on top of them, it doesn't mean the complaint of FX abuse isn't valid. And when they didn't bother to build a single set of clone armor for the prequels, you can hardly argue that there wasn't some pretty egregious abuse of CGI. There's some SyFy-grade FX work on Geonosis, especially.
2014-06-06, 12:40 PM #282
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1186093']I could swear I've seen some EU ship designs that had something like that and just split the engine cylinder down the middle. They have some options to work with.

Looks like the original X-Wing concept art to me:

[http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzb2hkSHx31qa0q13o2_500.jpg]

[http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/ConceptX-Wing.jpg]
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2014-06-06, 1:29 PM #283
It's almost like effects work ages or something.
>>untie shoes
2014-06-06, 2:03 PM #284
It's almost like effects work ages or something.

Age certainly hasn't helped, but it was bad work when it was released. Part of the job is figuring out what you can and can't convincingly pull off with a given method, and not doing what doesn't work (see the rancor in ROTJ).

ILM does great work, though, and I'm sure they could have done much better on a lot of the shots. It's possible they just couldn't produce quality work at that volume in the timeframe they were given. When your compositing people have to work on nearly every single shot, including indoor dialogue sequences, there's less time for them to polish the setpieces.
2014-06-06, 7:15 PM #285
How does any of that ruin the movie?
>>untie shoes
2014-06-06, 8:12 PM #286
George Lucas says that star wars is for kids. Whiny childish neckbeards disagree.
>>untie shoes
2014-06-06, 8:44 PM #287
[http://i.imgur.com/JFa1Vo4.jpg]
2014-06-07, 5:30 AM #288
lolok
>>untie shoes
2014-06-07, 5:48 AM #289
Thrawn[numbarz], you're breaking my heart!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2014-06-07, 7:57 AM #290
YOU ARE TEARING ME APART THRAWN[NUMBARZ]
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-06-07, 9:41 AM #291
George Lucas says that star wars is for kids. Whiny childish neckbeards disagree.

Star Wars isn't for kids, I liked it perfectly fine before the prequels came out when I was 14.

o shi
2014-06-07, 3:50 PM #292
if I'm childish, am I enough of a kid for SW to be for me? (If only to complain about it.)
2014-06-07, 4:03 PM #293
You're tearin` up my heart, Thrawn[numbarz].
2014-06-07, 5:53 PM #294
The first Star Wars movie I ever saw was Episode 1 when I was 9. I liked the OT better, because I think they are simply better movies.
2014-06-07, 6:43 PM #295
[http://www.galacticbinder.com/images/DarkestMoments/youngling.jpg]
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-06-07, 10:56 PM #296
if I'm childish, am I enough of a kid for SW to be for me?

The only way to find out is to play TODOA.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-06-07, 11:07 PM #297
Which I will do as soon as I get a video card that can run JK.
2014-06-07, 11:08 PM #298
(And an operating system that can run JK.)
2014-06-08, 12:02 AM #299
The reason I hate his reviews is not just because he's a nit picker. It's because he's the polar opposite of concise. He drones on and on and on about it when he's just making the same damned point over and over again.

It's amusing to watch a guy a guy who can't seem to effectively get a simple point across in a timely manner criticize Attack of the Clones for pacing issues.

Ahaha, get this--I just watched the first couple of vids. for his Phantom Menace review, just for kicks. Guess what Shakespeare quote he cites in his analysis? This one:
Quote:
Brevity is the soul of wit.
2014-06-08, 12:27 AM #300
And... I just lost all respect for Mike Stolska. In video #4 of the Phantom Menace review, he misuses the phrase "begging the question".

I'm done.
2014-06-08, 12:44 AM #301
He's definitely not much of a filmmaker. His video podcast about movies with his friend is crazy boring, and the shorts and skits he tried to incorporate into his video reviews are as amateurish as h*ck. I think he worked as a screenwriter? Might explain his unfamiliarity with like...using a camera. I don't know.

Dude does a killer Palpatine impression though.
2014-06-08, 9:12 AM #302
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
The first Star Wars movie I ever saw was Episode 1 when I was 9. I liked the OT better, because I think they are simply better movies.

Oh cool, you must be 23/24 now. I thought I was the youngest on the boards besides Tibby.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2014-06-08, 11:52 AM #303
TPM came out in 1999. if he was 14 when it came out, he is 30 now.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2014-06-08, 12:23 PM #304
He said he was 9!
2014-06-08, 1:37 PM #305
I would have been 10 in 99, and I know that TPM seriously influenced me as a kid, I was drawing podracers and aliens and battle droids all over the place. But I also can't remember ever not thinking it was a bad movie. I wonder when and how that transition took place :0
2014-06-08, 4:42 PM #306
i didnt read his quote and assumed he was responding to Jon'C
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2014-06-15, 1:56 AM #307
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27825562

That must be your fault somehow, Massassi!

[http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/164/1/2/greedo_shut_first_by_jollyjack-d7m71hf.jpg]
2014-06-15, 5:38 AM #308
I was 9 when TPM came out. I liked it at the time, and only realised how truly bad it is a couple years ago after seeing it for the first time since I was about 11.

Also, gold is older than me? What the hell.
nope.
2014-06-15, 9:01 AM #309
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I was 9 when TPM came out. I liked it at the time, and only realised how truly bad it is a couple years ago after seeing it for the first time since I was about 11.

Also, gold is older than me? What the hell.

I'm 23, 24 in a couple more weeks. I think we're about the same, maybe you're a few months older than me?
2014-06-15, 3:20 PM #310
I turned 24 in February, so yeah.
nope.
2014-06-15, 4:05 PM #311
I remember when I had my first beer.
>>untie shoes
2014-06-18, 8:47 PM #312
I remember when I had my first beer.

I had my first at 16/15... but I dropped drinking around 20. Every now and then I'll have a few at a special occasion or something, my stomach doesn't seem to appreciate alcohol very much.
2014-10-11, 10:02 AM #313
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Rebels:_Spark_of_Rebellion

Apparently not that badly received. Also has a Darth Vader cameo with James Earl Jones.

Oh well.
2014-10-11, 12:05 PM #314
I like how the thread title contains parts of every episode title except for The Phantom Menace.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-10-13, 7:16 PM #315

The trouble with that is it's just a cop out for doing a bad job. Lots of movies are for kids, but can have a broader appeal because they have halfway decent acting, writing and directing. Iron Man was for kids, but it was a solid movie. Avengers was for kids, and more than just kids enjoyed it. Transformers was for kids and only kids enjoyed it because it was colossally stupid, and Michel Bay straight up did a bad job. Being "for kids" isn't an excuse for doing bad work. It may be incompetence or apathy, but it's not because it's "for kids".
2014-10-13, 10:53 PM #316
I remember when I had my first Corellian ale.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-10-14, 1:23 PM #317
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
The trouble with that is it's just a cop out for doing a bad job. Lots of movies are for kids, but can have a broader appeal because they have halfway decent acting, writing and directing. Iron Man was for kids, but it was a solid movie. Avengers was for kids, and more than just kids enjoyed it. Transformers was for kids and only kids enjoyed it because it was colossally stupid, and Michel Bay straight up did a bad job. Being "for kids" isn't an excuse for doing bad work. It may be incompetence or apathy, but it's not because it's "for kids".

For doing a bad job in which movies? We're talking about a series that has one legitimately great movie in it, one that is not bad, one that is mediocre but has some awesome set pieces, and three that are generally pretty lame, but also have some cool action stuff.

I enjoy the hell out of the original trilogy, and to a lesser extent, I also enjoy the prequels, but I'm self-aware enough to understand that the majority of my enjoyment of ANH and RoTJ comes from nostalgia, while being able to admit that I can put aside pretense and enjoy the prequels for what they are: Three movies with imaginative character designs and fun action scenes that fit right in to a larger series of light-hearted child-oriented science fiction that inexplicably has one really dark chapter that also happens to be one of the best movies ever made.

Additionally, suggesting that Iron Man is aimed at kids is arguable. I'm not sure how likely Disney is to greenlight a "kids movie" that features a whiskey-swilling womanizer as a protagonist.
>>untie shoes
2014-10-14, 5:13 PM #318
I'm self-aware enough to understand that the majority of my enjoyment of ANH and RoTJ comes from nostalgia

Anybody remember this from the VHS set?

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR1ah6cO-F4

Come on, George, how can it both be for every generation, but also "one last time"? That makes no sense. It also makes no sense that you said this.

And yeah, you better believe my love for SW is based on nostalgia. That trailer gives me the chills every time when the Falcon flies out of the Death Star.

It took me 26 years to realize that Ewoks are dumb. Apparently GL wasn't going to have anything to do with Wookiees, but I've read that he was also against evil Ewoks.
2014-10-14, 5:15 PM #319
Three movies with imaginative character designs and fun action scenes that fit right in to a larger series of light-hearted child-oriented science fiction that inexplicably has one really dark chapter that also happens to be one of the best movies ever made.

I'm not sure if I parsed that correctly, but are you referring to RotS or ESB when you say "one of the best movies ever made"?
2014-10-14, 6:02 PM #320
I'm not sure if I parsed that correctly, but are you referring to RotS or ESB when you say "one of the best movies ever made"?

If you need the clarification you don't deserve the clarity.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!