Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
2014-11-29, 8:47 AM #441
Also, really? THE DESERT PLANET ISN'T TATOOINE? MOVIE RUINED!
>>untie shoes
2014-11-29, 11:07 AM #442
Originally posted by Goit:
I am glad to see tie fighters and storm troopers but a bit of me thinks designs would have moved on as much as they did between revenge of the sith and a new hope - especially because it's been an even longer gap.
You mean during Revenge of the Sith. Because from the time it took for Anakin to choke a ***** and for Padme to abandon her children, the Republic military went from "republic cruiser" and "jedi starfighters" all the way to full-on ISDs and TIE Fighters and even a half-finished Death Star, none of which seemed to change much in the following 18 years.

I agree with Antony. The reason the changes are more modest is probably because JJ Abrams isn't an imbecile with no concept of how the passage of time changes design and engineering. Especially when it's for a military, which calls for extremely conservative designs and good engineering before aesthetics. Especially especially when it's for a megaproject like a mass-producible space ship, where the original design and tooling cost so much that you're going to reuse most parts and design elements as long as you possibly can.
2014-11-29, 2:44 PM #443
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6bEs3dxjPg#t=228

(at 3.48)

I wouldn't call them 'full-on' ISDs or Tie Fighters. Tie Fighters with pointy noses maybe :)
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2014-11-29, 4:19 PM #444
I wouldn't call them 'full-on' ISDs or Tie Fighters. Tie Fighters with pointy noses maybe :)

And a few days earlier...

Pretty impressive times to refit an entire space fleet and field a new starfighter design!
2014-11-29, 6:05 PM #445
Is it that unreasonable to assume someone as powerful as the Emperor wouldn't have some of his own custom fleet hidden away for the very moment of the transition to the Republic to the Empire? It seems silly arguing any of this, but if we are going to, I'm just saying that it's plausible to say the least.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2014-11-29, 6:52 PM #446
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Is it that unreasonable to assume someone as powerful as the Emperor wouldn't have some of his own custom fleet hidden away for the very moment of the transition to the Republic to the Empire? It seems silly arguing any of this, but if we are going to, I'm just saying that it's plausible to say the least.

Know what else is plausible? George Lucas is an awful filmmaker who couldn't figure out how to show a smooth progression and was simultaneously too lazy to look for real life examples of it.

50 years of human aeronautical engineering:

50 minutes of Star Wars:

(Note also: most of the people who worked on RotS wanted to put a more TIE Fighter-like version of the left at the end. Because that would have been less stupid. Lucas said no, **** out the fighter on the right, and smeared it all over your TV. I hope you enjoyed it + bought the lego set!!)
2014-11-29, 7:20 PM #447
You're missing my point though. I'm not arguing that it was a smooth transition, or that it would even make sense as a transition at all. I'm simply stating that the prototype star destroyers, or modified republic cruisers, whatever you want to call them at the end of RotS could have simply been a modified fleet that the Emperor had in place for the beginning of the Empire (a fleet that had a crew that was already informed about the events that would soon take place, in case any of his plans backfired). Same goes for the stupid A-Wing TIE Fighter crossover. I do understand that I'm using some suspension of disbelief in order to make the transition make some level of sense.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2014-11-29, 7:56 PM #448
No, I completely understood your point.

Let me be clear about this: No, it is not plausible for Palpatine to have a secret fleet of one-off experimental starfighters and multiple kilometer-long warships. I don't care how powerful he was supposed to be. These are incredibly complicated, expensive vehicles. Even if we ignore the marginal costs of building a secret fleet and the impossibility of keeping it secret, you're still confronted with a frankly crippling up-front fixed cost for the design, testing, tooling, construction of manufacturing facilities and otherwise establishing a supply chain which is capable of providing the materials to actually build these things. In real life the only way these sorts of projects become cost-effective is when you construct very large quantities of the same design over a very long time (e.g. about 80% of the F-22's per-unit price is from these fixed costs).

But none of that matters, because the real reason it was done so poorly is because George Lucas is a horrible writer.
2014-11-29, 8:07 PM #449
A good example of what Jon is saying is that American aircraft carriers have used basically the exact same hull design for about 50 years.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-29, 8:23 PM #450
Originally posted by Antony:
Also, really? THE DESERT PLANET ISN'T TATOOINE? MOVIE RUINED!

It's the kind of thing I would have preferred to discover in the theatre. Spoiler tags are not too much to ask in a thread for an upcoming movie. Common courtesy and respect isn't too much to ask for. You are just a troll and a bully hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, and you always have been. You wouldn't dare speak to my face with those words in that tone, not because you aren't actually a lousy and unhappy person but because you don't have the guts. Your other post is completely incoherent. I have managed to participate in Ep VII discussions on other forums without having the film spoiled and don't understand why the same can't occur here.

Anyway, this is my last post. The behaviour around here has been going downhill for some time now so I'm out.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-29, 8:44 PM #451
bye!
2014-11-29, 11:27 PM #452
Well, Vader totally kept his, uh, Sith Interceptor for TODOA

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/waste/JSHOT001_zpsff464dfc.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-11-30, 12:08 AM #453
I still haven't seen the trailer you guys. Maybe today.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2014-11-30, 3:22 AM #454
TRADE NEGOTIATIONS

2014-11-30, 3:34 AM #455
Originally posted by Tracer:
It's the kind of thing I would have preferred to discover in the theatre. Spoiler tags are not too much to ask in a thread for an upcoming movie. Common courtesy and respect isn't too much to ask for.

It's comical that the desert planet is the one you're focusing on, as though it's somehow the bigger spoiler. Regardless, this is the sort of thing that is inevitably shown to be the case in trailers anyway. You're being overly sensitive, and blowing the entire thing out of proportion.

Quote:
You are just a troll

Yes

Quote:
and a bully

Less yes

Quote:
hiding behind the anonymity of the internet

What? Antony is my actual name. Half of the users on this board know my full name and town of residence. Hell, a decent handful of them know my home address. Yeah, I'm sure hiding behind anonymity.

Quote:
and you always have been.

That's not true. It took me a long time to become this way.

Quote:
You wouldn't dare speak to my face with those words in that tone

Don't be foolish. Of course I would.

Quote:
not because you aren't actually a lousy and unhappy person

I'm not sure you have any way of quantifying either of those things.

Quote:
but because you don't have the guts.

FIGHT ME IRL

Quote:
Your other post is completely incoherent.

Please be specific. I have a lot of other posts that are incoherent.

Quote:
I have managed to participate in Ep VII discussions on other forums

You mean you've engaged in wild speculation on other forums.

Quote:
without having the film spoiled

A lot of the original cast returns. SPOILER!

Quote:
and don't understand why the same can't occur here.

Is it because you're talking to different people on this board than you are on other boards and different people talk about different things because people are different and talk about things differently? It must be that.

Quote:
Anyway, this is my last post.

Well, thanks for the warning.

Quote:
The behaviour around here has been going downhill for some time now so I'm out.

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaG2Acg8n60
>>untie shoes
2014-11-30, 7:08 AM #456
I am worried now. The fact Jj Abrams changed the continuity of Star Trek means he isn't scared to do something drastic.

That was pretty much a necessity without either an entirely new crew/ship in the existing timeline, which wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular, or a whole new thing set after Nemesis.
nope.
2014-11-30, 7:11 AM #457
I am actually worried that since it's JJ Abrams it will feature people stranded on a mystical island, or being terrorized by a largely unseen alien menace.

Either that or it's pretty likely that he treats each project differently.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-30, 7:44 AM #458
Come now Tracer, don't be like this. You should be use to Massassi by now.

Anyhow, how much input did JJ have over the writing and story in those Star Trek films (since people seem to judge his Star Wars involvement with the Trek stuff as reference)? Both films were chiefly written by that guy.

In a way, those films kinda remind me of Prometheus (I watched that recently), which I thought would have been a generally good sci-fi movie if the story and characters made sense. At least it looked good, thank you Ridley Scott

As the ROTS scene, stupid as this may sound, I just assumed those shots within the Star Destroyers bridge took place years later and poor editing happened that made it seem like the Monday after Padme aborted her life.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-11-30, 9:11 AM #459
Man, I just looked up what else Robert Orci has done, and he's responsible for co-writing some pretty ****ty films.

My main problem with Prometheus is that there's a massive cast of characters that aren't given any real roles or characterisation whatsoever. They're just there. It did look cool though.
nope.
2014-11-30, 10:13 AM #460
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Well, Vader totally kept his, uh, Sith Interceptor for TODOA

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/waste/JSHOT001_zpsff464dfc.jpg]

lol 1st-person saber, press F1 u n00b
2014-11-30, 10:16 AM #461
Tracer, you need thicker skin to handle Antony. Based on your posts, it seems that you are naturally inclined to be waaaaay to nice a guy to take Antony's posts at face value, expecting him to reciprocate your niceness. He acts "mean", but he's not mean-spirited.
2014-11-30, 10:29 AM #462
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
lol 1st-person saber, press F1 u n00b

!

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/emot-ootrage_zps010aa3d7.png]

One day they'll revise Dante's Inferno and create a special level of hell for you.

ONE DAY!!1one
2014-11-30, 1:41 PM #463
okay. I want this as the poster.

Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2014-12-01, 11:03 AM #464
Originally posted by genk:
okay. I want this as the poster.

Poster looks OK.

I wish the trailer had shots of the OT cast, but there is a rumor that a second teaser will release on Dec 17 with the hobbit, focusing on the OT cast.

A huge amount of what was revealed in the trailer was leaked on to the internet on makingstarwars.net and starwars7news.com if you must have spoilers, go there.

I think it is a given that the sequel trilogy will be better than the prequel trilogy, and that in itself makes it worth watching.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2014-12-01, 12:11 PM #465
Yeah, and a huge amount of what was posted on every film website was originally reported on badassdigest.com, because, you know, people who have written about and reported on film for a decade-plus actually develop legitimate inside sources in the industry that people with half-assed blogs don't. Don't encourage traffic to garbage websites that repost exclusives largely without citation.
>>untie shoes
2014-12-01, 12:17 PM #466
I get my star wars news from nflmemes dot com
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-12-01, 12:35 PM #467
I'm betting at least one of those links to Supershadow. (ugh)
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-12-01, 3:59 PM #468
Yeah, and a huge amount of what was posted on every film website was originally reported on badassdigest.com, because, you know, people who have written about and reported on film for a decade-plus actually develop legitimate inside sources in the industry that people with half-assed blogs don't. Don't encourage traffic to garbage websites that repost exclusives largely without citation.

You must joking right?

Because this bad ass digest article, was completely off the mark:
http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/17/what-will-the-first-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-contain/

While this making star wars article was absolutely spot on:
http://makingstarwars.net/2014/11/shot-run-star-wars-force-awakens-teaser/

Both posted on the same day. Goes to show who actually has sources. (hint: it isn't badassdigest, also it wasn't badassdigest who showed us the first pic of the broad-cross lightsaber)
2014-12-01, 4:50 PM #469
New movie looks great but wow, that lightsaber looks dumb as hell.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2014-12-01, 5:56 PM #470
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
You must joking right?

Because this bad ass digest article, was completely off the mark:
http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/17/what-will-the-first-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-contain/

While this making star wars article was absolutely spot on:
http://makingstarwars.net/2014/11/shot-run-star-wars-force-awakens-teaser/

Both posted on the same day. Goes to show who actually has sources. (hint: it isn't badassdigest, also it wasn't badassdigest who showed us the first pic of the broad-cross lightsaber)

Quite the sample size you're working with there.
>>untie shoes
2014-12-01, 6:36 PM #471

What would you expect from MMO boy?
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2014-12-01, 6:41 PM #472
I expect him at any moment to tell us that he's a Hollywood insider and that he runs both of those websites, then to invite us to visit Studio City if only we kick in a few hundred bucks each.
>>untie shoes
2014-12-01, 6:50 PM #473
I expect him at any moment to tell us that he's a Hollywood insider and that he runs both of those websites, then to invite us to visit Studio City if only we kick in a few hundred bucks each.

That sounds legitimate! He seems like a reputable character.
2014-12-01, 9:33 PM #474
Originally posted by Tracer:
It's the kind of thing I would have preferred to discover in the theatre. Spoiler tags are not too much to ask in a thread for an upcoming movie. Common courtesy and respect isn't too much to ask for.

Oh, come on. He has a point. Nothing is known other than what is in the trailer. It's just speculation. If you are that anal about about spoilers, what on earth are you doing in a thread about an upcoming movie? Are you going to be one of these people who aren't happy unless threads about a movie consist entirely of posts that are completely spoiler tagged? Because I hate forums that do that.
2014-12-02, 1:39 AM #475

I'll just leave this here
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2014-12-02, 3:39 AM #476
Is that actually a trailer for the 47-minute video of Mike Stoklasa *****ing about everything he hates about the trailer?
>>untie shoes
2014-12-02, 4:04 AM #477
Louis XIV has been revived as the chairman of the Liberal Party of Canada, but he has trouble couping with life in the 2010s, so he spends the rest of his time making YouTube videos about video games and neckbearding about the slightest details in movie trailers. He also has trouble expressing his true feelings to his antropomorphic suitcase. Keep your suspenders on and suspend your keepers on for this next amazing and exciting installment of INTERNET VIDEO PERSONALITY STATES THEIR OPINIONS AND PRESENTS THEM AS FACTS!

Come on, we already went over "RedLetterMedia needs to get a life" a few pages ago.
2014-12-02, 5:53 AM #478
That is the actual worst video I've ever seen.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-12-02, 8:54 AM #479

I really don't have to prove much more, the fact that the site you mentioned totally fabricated a story just because a competing site already had one (which turned out to be the real one) proves that they don't got any real insiders for Star Wars. Hell, I even came across a bad ass digest article where they admitted that making star wars had more information and details than they did.
2014-12-02, 9:04 AM #480
this thread is in hell now

↑ Up to the top!