Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
2006-03-20, 2:33 AM #1
Well, it does come out today.

And in a few hours, I will begin my 2 mile hike to obtain a copy for myself.

I must say, I am HELLA excited about this game. Mostly because of everything I've seen about the combat system makes it look like a god damned BLAST TO PLAY.

Combat+Expansiveness+open ended gameplay = AWESOME.

I know there are a few other like minded people here, so during the course of the day as we buy and play the game, perhaps we could post mini-reviews, screenshots, and game stuffs in this thread.

I haven't been this giddy over a game in YEARS. Watch it be a let down.
2006-03-20, 2:59 AM #2
Heh, I have to bookmark this thread and post the exact same thing when Gothic 3 is released.

I couldn't play Oblivion at the moment, because my computer sucks too much, but I will consider buying it after I've played Gothic (for which I will buy a new computer), if I read enough good reviews.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-20, 3:15 AM #3
Most stores aren't going to sell it to you until tuesday. Make sure you call ahead.
2006-03-20, 3:27 AM #4
Oh I know, I'm definately calling ahead.

Especially since I have to walk, and no one likes walking without a good reason!
2006-03-20, 3:29 AM #5
The game stores around here usually will sell people games on the shipping dates.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-03-20, 3:48 AM #6
Lets hope it comes with some form of the TESCS.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-03-20, 3:57 AM #7
[QUOTE=- Tony -]Lets hope it comes with some form of the TESCS.[/QUOTE]

It'll be out for download on their website sometimes in this week or the next

And yes... OBBBBBBBBBBBBLIVION OBLIVION <3<3<3 OBLIVVVVVVVVVVVVVION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howfully they get my game at Eb today
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-20, 4:47 AM #8
I did not know this delightful information. I WILL NOW GO BUY IT!
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-03-20, 4:52 AM #9
If anyone gets it today, let me know. If it lives up to the hype, I'll be getting it tomorrow.
2006-03-20, 5:58 AM #10
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]If anyone gets it today, let me know. If it lives up to the hype, I'll be getting it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Depends which hype. If you mean the one that bloated R.A.I's merit to unthinkable heights, then it certainly isn't living up to it. There are a lot of people thinking that NPC's will actually be smart, start unscripted dialogue, do a whole bunch of wierd stuff, which is simply impossible for a game. Not right now anyways.

If its the hype of having a new TES title, with awesome combat and graphics, then it'll probably live up to it.

Btw, I've seen their lip synch in action, while some of it looks a bit off (on some beast races) overall it looks fantastic. Characters even have toungues and they move to the way they talk like we would when we say "strength" and what not.
2006-03-20, 6:14 AM #11
I have never played any Elder Scrolls game, so I won't probably touch this one either.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-03-20, 6:21 AM #12
Its definatly not for everybody, although this one supposedly does a much better job at driving you through the main quests (while it still leaves you free to do as you wish really) than the others. The others you were let loose into a world right after character creation, with no idea of game mechanics or hardly an idea where to go. In this one you have to start by an hour long escape through the prison dungeon, and come out of there into a lush world of greens and breathtaking landscapes but you know what you are about, you know how the game runs, and you know that you cannot make your character fully naked by removing all his equipable clothes.
2006-03-20, 6:30 AM #13
Originally posted by Jepman:
removing all his equipable clothes.

So that's what you like :p
2006-03-20, 6:31 AM #14
I just want ACTION.

COMBAT.

EXPANSIVENESS.
2006-03-20, 6:34 AM #15
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
So that's what you like :p

*sing* Loaaathin' for a change and I slip some.... runnin' away.... *sing*
2006-03-20, 6:35 AM #16
Every site I look at now says the 21st.

Bastards. :(
2006-03-20, 6:37 AM #17
Yea, 20th is the shipping date, 21st is the official release date. I'm still hoping my eb gets their shipment early (20th is obviously the street date, they started shipping before hand). :( Damn wait.

About ACTION, EXPANSIVENESS and COMBAT, you'll definatly get a lot of that.

There is a gladiatorial arena guild, thats going to be awesome.
2006-03-20, 6:42 AM #18
i liked being a mucky thug.

Who spent an hour jumping up ramps to learn how to jump higher.
2006-03-20, 6:42 AM #19
Actually, I was probably going to go with sneaky ******* arrow you in the neck combat killing.

I called Best Buy last week, and they were all "WE'LL HAVE IT ON THE 20TH LIKE IT SAYS ON THE SITE!"

They just recently changed it sometime this morning to say 21st. :(
2006-03-20, 6:57 AM #20
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]i liked being a mucky thug.

Who spent an hour jumping up ramps to learn how to jump higher.[/QUOTE]

The whole jumping around deal will not work anymore with the updated system. They thankfully made the game much less exploitable. I could not help myself from hitting the jump key as I moved about VVardenfell (morrowind) but I was watching interviews about the game and Pete Hines said it was useless and that he had not seen anyone bunny hop around the world. Well he saw one, but the guy eventually stopped when he realized it was useless.
2006-03-20, 7:00 AM #21
For anyone interested, non Bethesda screenies :

http://www.pcgames.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=458405&entity_id=-1&image_id=501324&page=1
2006-03-20, 7:12 AM #22
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.
2006-03-20, 7:35 AM #23
Just called EB Games and I wont be able to get it before tomorrow noon. :(

Oh well, one more night of living! <.<
2006-03-20, 7:41 AM #24
LAME.

None of the places around here will have it till tomorrow either.

****ing bastards. :(
2006-03-20, 7:41 AM #25
Originally posted by Jepman:

Urgh, too much bloom.
But I guess it'll be possible to turn that off.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-20, 8:00 AM #26
Originally posted by Rob:
LAME.

None of the places around here will have it till tomorrow either.

****ing bastards. :(

Amen.
2006-03-20, 8:02 AM #27
Originally posted by Impi:
Urgh, too much bloom.
But I guess it'll be possible to turn that off.

There are various options. Thats HDR. You can turn it off, turn on bloom, or turn on full hdr.

You can't have Antialiasing and HDR at the same time so it'll have to go with personal tastes. (Even the ATI cards that claim thy can do HDR and AA wont work for this game, sadly).

Only the 360 version will work with AA and HDR :(
2006-03-20, 8:40 AM #28
Which is retarded becase Vale made HDR run w/AA on even a 9800 pro. But that's ok because I think it looks awful anyways.
2006-03-20, 8:42 AM #29
Obi, its the way it was coded. If I recall, since both run on the same part of the GPU, HDR needs to come first to be possible with AA, while they did the opposite at first. I'm pretty sure they mean to fix this with a patch soon, but they sad that to change that now in their engine, they'd need to delay the game.

But then again, if you run at 1600x1200, you'll hardly need AA.
2006-03-20, 8:51 AM #30
Oblivion is possibly the only game that will look as good on the 360 as it will on a high-end computer. Possibly.

Either way, I'm going to have to temporarily "acquire" it, but I'm definitely buying this game after I sell my PSP.
D E A T H
2006-03-20, 9:19 AM #31
But I thought you really supported the PSP. :confused:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-20, 9:42 AM #32
If it's anything like Morrowind I ain't touchin' it with a ten-foot pole.

I'm waiting for the reviews to come in and the price to drop before I think about purchasing Oblivion.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-20, 9:45 AM #33
Originally posted by Echoman:
But I thought you really supported the PSP. :confused:

Oh I do. But I need the money more than I need the PSP.
D E A T H
2006-03-20, 9:52 AM #34
Originally posted by Freelancer:
If it's anything like Morrowind I ain't touchin' it with a ten-foot pole.

I'm waiting for the reviews to come in and the price to drop before I think about purchasing Oblivion.

Well its the same kind of game. Same idea, just most likely executed better.
2006-03-20, 10:00 AM #35
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060320
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-20, 11:26 AM #36
I was never too wild about Daggerfall and despised Morrowind. Never played arena.

My best mate'll be buying it most likely, so I reckon I'll just grab a borrow of it off him to see what it's like.
nope.
2006-03-20, 11:36 AM #37
Am I the only one who thinks Oblivion's graphics aren't that amazing?
2006-03-20, 11:36 AM #38
No.
2006-03-20, 11:42 AM #39
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Am I the only one who thinks Oblivion's graphics aren't that amazing?[/QUOTE]

Oh they aren't that amazing compared to say the Unreal Engine 3, but they are for that kind of game and sheer size of the game world. (imo of course) Ob's forests beat the pants off Far Cry's jungle.
2006-03-20, 11:44 AM #40
I'm not a graphics whore though, I can still play Duke Nukem 3D vanilla and not complain at all.

↑ Up to the top!