Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
2006-03-30, 9:20 AM #481
Originally posted by Jepman:
The above are the default maximum. I personally increased it to 10000 and 9000. Note that some of the settings are reset next time you go in the video options so stay out of them. :p

Couldn't you just write-protect it? Then you wouldn't have to worry if you clicked the wrong menu-item.
Though of course then you couldn't change any options in-game...

Heh, yesterday I bought Morrowind. It came on a DVD with a games-magazine. I'll try it out after I'm done with Gothic 2. Who knows, perhaps it'll keep me entertained until I buy a new computer.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-30, 9:54 AM #482
Morrowind has its highlights, but I hope you don't need the game to hold you by the hand, because it doesn't. And the first half of the main quest is pretty darn horrible and boring. Get a skull here, get a cube there. Carry this here, talk to him there.

Aaaaah nothing better than closing a little oblivion gate or two during lunch break. :D

Jess is gonna kill me. :(
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-30, 10:03 AM #483
Originally posted by Rob:
Yeah, even without those settings things just pop up when I load a new cell.

Ah well thats reassuring that its not an ati problem, but it sucks the game was built like that. Seeing the world pop up around me is annoying. I guess they "had to" technical-wise, but meh. Its annoying.
2006-03-30, 10:16 AM #484
Going into Oblivion are the worst parts of the game.
2006-03-30, 10:31 AM #485
My brother bought Oblivion today! :D

But he won't let me have it :(
2006-03-30, 10:46 AM #486
Originally posted by tofu:
Going into Oblivion are the worst parts of the game.

I disagree, of course we're all entitled to our opinions. I like the rush I feel beating my way across the dark planes surrounded my by lava and the likes. I feel its action packed and from a roleplay stand point it does make your character feel heroic in a sorts. Of course I can imagine it will indeed get old quickly if its always the same ol' beat your way up the tower and remove the sigil deal, but hey, right now I dig it. :D
2006-03-30, 10:47 AM #487
Originally posted by LividDK27:
My brother bought Oblivion today! :D

But he won't let me have it :(

Train and rise your sneak and security skills to 100 and then steal it from him. Remember, if you murder someone, the Dark Brotherhood will come to you in your sleep. Thats how they recruit. ;)
2006-03-30, 11:06 AM #488
My character currently, lvl 10 Imperial Spellsword:

http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~paul6/Oblivion/

(BIG pictures. I didn't feel like converting them to jpg)
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-03-30, 11:42 AM #489
The ini alterations to increase blood didn't work that well for me. All that happened is I got a few blots of blood on the ground and only the enemy got blood on their blade. :(
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-03-30, 11:46 AM #490
Im Arch-mage of the mages guild!! FINALLY! I get respect from everyone now :) . Arena Grand Champion as well. Fricking mages guild took so long to get to the top.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-03-30, 11:48 AM #491
Nice, my main character (the one I will get through the main storyline first) is also a Spellsword. But he's Breton. He was inspired by Rand Al'thor from the Wheel of Time books. I need to post some pics soon. :D
2006-03-30, 12:10 PM #492
Did any of you racists play any non-human characters? :p I can't wait to start a Khajiit thief :D
2006-03-30, 12:12 PM #493
Did any of you racists play any non-human characters? :p I can't wait to start a Khajiit thief :D

No I haven't actually. I can never bring myself to play non-humans in games. Only game I managed was my orc in WoW.
2006-03-30, 12:35 PM #494
In the main quest, I've only gotten to the first Oblivion gate (currently at level 3), but it's unfortunately been extremely boring so far.

How do you join the Thieves' Guild? I think I remember reading in the manual that you can make criminal contacts in jail. I haven't actually tried that yet or tried anything else. Heck, I haven't even gone to the arena or the Arcane University yet.

[edit]Okay, yeah. Nevermind. I searched through the thread and saw the response for when Yoshi asked.[/edit]
2006-03-30, 12:39 PM #495
I picked Imperial because I hoped to get bonusses for being on my own land. Like I got bonusses for playing a Dark Elf in Morrowind. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Which is kinda sad, because Imperial is probably the least usefull race in the game. Its special abilities are weak at best.

I would never pick Kajit, because I HATE FURRIES. And the Argonians look like crap, with all those funky colours.

If I had to start over I'd probably pick Orc or Nord... hmm or Redguard...

Anyway, I'm loving it. I haven't even started the main quest yet. I'm first trying to get into the mages guild, but I keep getting sidetracked whenever I see a dungeon (I just can't resist to explore them). They're like a billion times more fun than in Morrowind. The last cave I went in revealed an underground lake in which a Will-o'-the-Wisp tried to terrorize me. Darn those suckers are TOUGH. Anyone know if they have a weakness or something? I managed to kill the one in the lake by laming (I climbed into some tree-roots, where he could get to me with its touch attack and then just used fireballs to damage it. Had to drink restore magicka potions thrice, before it finally succombed) But later I encountered another one which I just couldn't defeat, so I just sneaked past it.

I haven't been able to play as much as I like yet, because i also had exams and other school projects that had to be finished this week. But this weekend it really begins :)
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-03-30, 12:44 PM #496
My warrior character is nord, and let me tell you, I love it.,

And I think Imperial do have some great personality bonus. My spymaster build is with an Imperial and needless to say people who hate me are rare!

My assassin is also an imperial and is fine. Besides if you don't powerlevel, it doesn't really matter which race is which, you'll eventually be the best either way.
2006-03-30, 12:46 PM #497

I play as a dark elf.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-03-30, 12:48 PM #498
In general Oblivion becomes even more entertaining when you roleplay more. Powerleveling can easily been done (though not as easy as in morrowind), but it's just not fun.

I have a handfull minor skills at the moment which I trained just as much as my major skills, just because they fit my character (but weren't part of the spellblade class skills)

I hate those people who make their own classes and put in major skills like speechcraft, alchemy, sneak, armourer, athletics and acrobatics, just so they can level without effort. Go back to WoW, hippies.
( ;) )
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-03-30, 12:53 PM #499
Originally posted by ZOOIkes:
In general Oblivion becomes even more entertaining when you roleplay more. Powerleveling can easily been done (though not as easy as in morrowind), but it's just not fun.

I have a handfull minor skills at the moment which I trained just as much as my major skills, just because they fit my character (but weren't part of the spellblade class skills)

I hate those people who make their own classes and put in major skills like speechcraft, alchemy, sneak, armourer, athletics and acrobatics, just so they can level without effort. Go back to WoW, hippies.
( ;) )

Agreed. I still wish there was a co-op mod. GOD would it be fun roleplaying and adventuring with a friend or two.
2006-03-30, 12:59 PM #500
I'm playing a Female Wood Elf Assassin with Pink Hair. I've now finished the Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Arena (via running away a lot). Combat is tough, but remaining unseen allows me to take out most enemies pretty easily, except for Will OT Wisps which basically require me to get up close and personal.

I'm usually safe from any enemy except for those that can fly. I probably will bulk up my other skills once i've done most of the quests, but being an Assassin is fun for now.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-30, 1:09 PM #501
How's ranged combat now? I never really enjoyed it in Morrowind, just because I was never sure if I'd missed because of my character's skill, because the crosshair wasn't directly on the monster, etc. Did they improve that like they did with melee?
2006-03-30, 1:15 PM #502
Hitting things with arrows is very easy. They've moved the stat-based skill into the ability to remain undetected for maxing out damage. Basically if the enemy can see you, it'll take absolutely ages to kill tough enemies. If you're hidden you gain x3 to hit (as long as you're at least an apprentice in marksman) and once you're good you can usually remain hidden for the entire kill.

The higher level enemies, usually the more magical/ghostly ones are exceptionally good at spotting you so it's important to use sneak as much as possible to level it up.

Basically though, if you can hit the target with your standard FPS skills, it will count as a hit, your stats and skills are only used to govern the damage the hit will cause.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-30, 1:22 PM #503
Awesome :D Thanks.
2006-03-30, 2:05 PM #504
Beat thieves guild.

Damn that was some awesome questing!
2006-03-30, 2:47 PM #505
Originally posted by Jepman:
If you want to complain about third person view, complain that there is no diagonal movement animation (strafe+foward). :p

I'll complain about what I damn well please. Solid steel blades phasing through solid brick is more irksome to me than some hardly necessary animation.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-30, 2:48 PM #506
Damn, I want more screens... maybe one of the inventory? Some combat? That'd be soooo good.

*begs oblivion gods*
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-03-30, 2:55 PM #507
My main character, Breton Spellsword Saidin. Inspired by Rand Al'thor from the wheel of time.

[http://www.myjep.com/oblivion/saidin01.jpg]
2006-03-30, 3:00 PM #508
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I'll complain about what I damn well please. Solid steel blades phasing through solid brick is more irksome to me than some hardly necessary animation.

Rain and snow also still fall through roofs just as in morrowind.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-03-30, 3:44 PM #509

Point is, its not a polished feature they implanted. Its just there because its there: a bonus. The Elder Scrolls are a first person role-playing game. Christ if you want to let that ruin the game for you, by all means do so. I'm happy with the 60$ I spent. :p
2006-03-30, 4:04 PM #510
Originally posted by Rob:
Beat thieves guild.

Damn that was some awesome questing!

Yeah, the final thieves guild quest is an Epic Of Epic Proportions.

The real magic is that you don't have to get discovered after grabbing the loot, but it makes the final charge up the tower much more thrilling.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-30, 4:09 PM #511

I always find it quite interesting that even though alot of RPGs offer a wide variety of races to choose from, most players end up going for the familiarity of humans.
That said I am a Nord in Morrowind (no Oblivion yet), I would've been a Dwarf, but alas! They're extinct.
Seishun da!
2006-03-30, 5:09 PM #512
I end up picking humans in RPGs not because they're human, but because humans almost invariably have the most balanced stats.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-30, 7:16 PM #513
Quote:
Anyone know if they have a weakness or something? I managed to kill the one in the lake by laming (I climbed into some tree-roots, where he could get to me with its touch attack and then just used fireballs to damage it. Had to drink restore magicka potions thrice, before it finally succombed) But later I encountered another one which I just couldn't defeat, so I just sneaked past it.
Enchanted or silver weapons are the best way. Same thing goes with ghosts.

Correction from before, I did get the blood thing to work, but for some reason only when I went into third person and took a few swipes first. Also, not nearly enough blood, even with modifications. I slice and stab the **** out of someone and only two spots appear?

btw, Redguard > All
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-03-30, 7:40 PM #514
I can't wait to get my hands on some constant effect weaponry. But more importantly, does anyone know of any items that will give me unlimited arrows? I'm not too bothered about whether the arrows are any good, it's just my character is too weak to fall back on melee combat in the harder dungeons.

Incidentally, the stuff you get from Daedric Shrine quests is immense, the Ebony Blade and Skeleton Key are quite lovely.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-30, 9:25 PM #515
My battlemage who is archmage of the mages guild wears this awesome aegis chestpiece that i bought for 6000 gold in the Imperial City. I got the money from the arena. I also have a 7 damage claymore called Claymore of Sapping. I found it by wandering around on my Cheydinhal horse. I saw a guard crouching in the woods and I talked to him and he said he was charged to raid a house of skooma dealers but they were too powerful for him. So I chain lightning'd them, fried their innards, and stole a dealers amazing sword. It saps like 20 health over 5 seconds on touch with an enemy. And it glows a nice red bloodish color.

Uberleet

[http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/drizzt2k2/good.jpg]

[http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/drizzt2k2/good2.jpg]

[http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/drizzt2k2/good3.jpg]
2006-03-30, 10:33 PM #516
The life of Carl Holyrood has been an eventful one thus far indeed.

I began as a pentient knight, set on leading a righteous career. One night, I saw a wolf chasing a man and hunted that wolf down and killed it before it could corner its victim. I bid the fellow goodnight... but then he demanded that I hand over all my money. I slew him and continued on.

Later, an accidental horse theft and not-so-accidental murder of a farmhand as I tried to escape landed me in jail. I escaped, jumped from a bridge, and ran off into the countryside. I sought shelter in a sleeping roll I found by some ruins.

In the dead of the night, however, I awoke to find a towering figure above me, swathed in darkest shadow. He had been following my progress and saw how I killed and how I had eluded the law... and was very impressed. He invited me to join the Dark Brotherhood of assassins and presented me with the gift of a virgin blade. I set off into the night still in my prison rags and armed only with this blade of woe, intent on finding some way out of this mess. The knife had been forced into my hand, as I would find no welcome in any town of the Empire.

I found a house in the countryside where I hoped to seek shelter during the day, but as I entered I was observed by a female bandit who had taken residence there. I shanked her quickly enough, but her husband came thundering down the stairs with a battle axe, so I grabbed what food I could find from the dining table and ran off. Just when I thought I had lost him, I ate the food and considered the drastic turn that my life had taken... when the husband's axe cleft right aside of me. Now he was in a battlefield of my choosing, however, and I quickly silenced him.

I spent the day asleep in the house and stripped it of anything of worth. I dragged the body of the wife to the foot of the stairs, as if it were an accidental fate. I proceeded the next night to an inn, where I had been directed to bring death upon an old man. I spotted a fellow shooting a target with his bow and snuck up behind him, but then decided that it might be even more insidious to lurk inside his house and wait for him to return...

When I entered the door, however, I met the innkeeper. I decided that I would make as if I were renting a room for the night and paid my fee. I went upstairs and saw that the inn consisted of only two rooms... mine was right next to my prey. I resolved that the grim deed must be done that night, however I fumbled in picking the lock to the door. I returned downstairs to inquire about the old man, only to discover that he was in fact rooming in the basement. The innkeeper added that he didn't much like visitors, it almost seemed as if the fellow thought he was being hunted...

...I stole downstairs and knocked on the old man's door. When he saw me, he immediately suspected the worst and pushed past me in an attempt to escape. He unlocked another room, but the fool merely ran into a dead end. As he cowered in a corner, I sunk my blade into his spine...

I slept the night in his bed and the voice of the Dark Brotherhood approached me once again in my sleep. He welcomed me to the order and divulged the location of a Sanctuary where I might seek refuge from the world. He then vanished and I saw my chamber door open and heard footsteps go down the hall.

I left crooked scales next to the old man's body, which I placed at the side of the bed, as if he had fallen off... onto a knife. The scales became my calling card as a murderer: some twisted form of cosmic justice had been served.

In a cave beneath an abandoned house in an Imperial town, with guards fast on my feet, I found a monolithic door... that hissed, "what is the color of the night??"

I replied with the countersign I had been given and found myself within the Sanctuary. I completed many contracts as an assassin, but on my travels in the main quest, I was offered to become a Knight Brother of the Blades, a personal bodyguard of the Emperor himself... what irony. The fools, I accepted.

Now, however, I have advanced so far in the ranks of the assassins that I have been granted the gift of vampirism by my undead mentor and now stalk the night in search of the ecstasy of blood... I am stronger, faster, and my eyes cut through the night and see the pulses of those still living around me... but my corporeal form continues to degenerate as I tread deeper into the realm of the undead... >:]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-03-30, 10:49 PM #517
you just made a cool game a lot cooler

I feel sorry for anyone watching this thread who cant play oblivion, the feeling must suck big time. So many awesome stories and pictures. Good thing I can play :)
2006-03-31, 12:08 AM #518
I love dungeon exploring.

Some dungeons are just a single room.

Some go on for bloody ever.

I just spent like 4 hours in this amazing dungeon that just never ended. I love the satisfying feeling of working my way deep into the bowels of a cool dungeon. This dungeon has a whole life of its own. It had its own story and everything. And my my, the riches. I made about 3 or 4k gold, which, for a level one, is not bad at all.

And there was this note from this guy to his men explaining how one of his men used his arrows to shoot down valuables off the top of a high pedestal. Proof positive that reading the game's literature has tangible benefits at times. :)
2006-03-31, 2:54 AM #519
And there was this note from this guy to his men explaining how one of his men used his arrows to shoot down valuables off the top of a high pedestal. Proof positive that reading the game's literature has tangible benefits at times. :)

Yeah that note was the basis for my prime source of income :D
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-03-31, 2:57 AM #520
Argh, I can't beat that suicidal orc with the huge-*** hammer in the arena! Even if I block it each swing takes off like 10% of my health. :( And that hammer has aHUGE range... arggghhhhhh

↑ Up to the top!