Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
2006-03-29, 12:33 PM #441
Originally posted by Rob:
The last thieves guild mission is a *****.

****ing skeletons are rocking my *** up, down, and back. :(

Haha. God hates you. I rock skeletons up down and back. :D
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 12:37 PM #442
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Of course not, silly. You have to attack to start the game..

Really? Couldn't you just run past them?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-29, 1:45 PM #443
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Haha. God hates you. I rock skeletons up down and back. :D[/QUOTE]

They hate me. :(
2006-03-29, 2:13 PM #444
Has anyone played an atronarch yet? I'm having touble understanding how I'm supposed to recharge my magicka. I wish they would tell you these things. :rolleyes:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-29, 2:16 PM #445
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Has anyone played an atronarch yet? I'm having touble understanding how I'm supposed to recharge my magicka. I wish they would tell you these things. :rolleyes:

Quote:
The Atronach
With the Atronach ability, you don't regain Magicka over time. Instead you have a 50% spell absorption to recharge your Magicka. Your base Magicka is also increased by 150 points.

Spell absorption.
2006-03-29, 2:26 PM #446
This game has THE BEST ragdoll's ever.

I've been luring things up hills, and into the mountains, just so I can watch them roll down the hill.

Also..

What's up with the unicorn?

I was being chased by a guard, and it just runs up and impales him. And then it chases me FOREVER.

So I ran inside an inn, slept, and when I came back out it was just sitting there. And then I rode it. Holy crap it's fast!
2006-03-29, 5:36 PM #447
Did it have rainbows?
2006-03-29, 5:37 PM #448
Here's a shot of Ragdoll in action :p

If you fail me Donny, you'll be sleeping with the goblins.

[http://www.myjep.com/oblivion/ragdoll.jpg]
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-29, 5:43 PM #449
Ragdolls don't clip through each other? <3! This game is looking so fantastic. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2006-03-29, 6:33 PM #450
Yeah, but 80% of your sword will still phase right through a solid wall. :(
2006-03-29, 6:34 PM #451
Really? I haven't noticed that happening. I'll have to check.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-03-29, 7:36 PM #452
Sorry if this has been asked, but where can i buy lock picks = ( I need them badly!
\(='_'=)/
2006-03-29, 7:37 PM #453
Originally posted by silent_killa:
Sorry if this has been asked, but where can i buy lock picks = ( I need them badly!

Fences for cheap. 5/piece.
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 7:48 PM #454
Originally posted by silent_killa:

There's some lady in the imperial city, as well as a locksmith there, too.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-29, 7:51 PM #455
Ignore Kirby, and join the thieves guild. Then buy them from Ongar. He's the man, he just wants to sleep all the time. Almost like me. (sleep and video games... and women would be nice too)
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-03-29, 7:55 PM #456
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]Really? I haven't noticed that happening. I'll have to check.[/QUOTE]

3rd person with your sword wielded.
2006-03-29, 8:02 PM #457
3rd person with your sword wielded.

3rd person isn't exactly meant for gameplay...to be honest, 3rd person is only meant for horseback riding and showing off your character.
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 8:04 PM #458
Bla bla blahh........

They included it for a reason, and that is because people want choices.

I am aware Bethesda intends the game to be played in the first person, but they included options for people with different tastes. I'm always in 3rd person unless I need to pick up an item or aim a spell.
2006-03-29, 8:19 PM #459
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]3rd person isn't exactly meant for gameplay...to be honest, 3rd person is only meant for horseback riding and showing off your character.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I always liked 3rd person for melee fighting.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-03-29, 8:21 PM #460
Bla bla blahh........

They included it for a reason, and that is because people want choices.

I am aware Bethesda intends the game to be played in the first person, but they included options for people with different tastes. I'm always in 3rd person unless I need to pick up an item or aim a spell.

Blah blah blah? I didn't exactly respond to your post with "Blah blah blah I'm freelancer I'm stupid". It's not asking for much to ask you to give me the respect I give you.

And that's your problem that you're in 3rd person. Not to mention there's bugs much worse than a small clipping issue.
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 9:10 PM #461
I, too, will disagree on the 3rd person is bad point. I will even say that third-person is essential. NWN would not go well if it were 1st person only. Ocarina of Time would not go well in 1st person only. In fact, I imagine most RPGs having difficulties 1st person only.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-03-29, 9:14 PM #462
Blood never gets on my sword. :(
2006-03-29, 9:21 PM #463
You're a vampire right? Vampires are like cats. They don't get dirty.
2006-03-29, 9:26 PM #464
Blood never got on my sword before that either.
2006-03-29, 10:13 PM #465
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Blah blah blah? I didn't exactly respond to your post with "Blah blah blah I'm freelancer I'm stupid". It's not asking for much to ask you to give me the respect I give you.

And that's your problem that you're in 3rd person. Not to mention there's bugs much worse than a small clipping issue.[/QUOTE]

lmfao man.. you've got major problems.
2006-03-29, 10:37 PM #466
Can I join mulitple guilds? Right now I'm in the thieves guild (as an avid Hillsfar player from days gone by, what else would I be? (oh and let's not forget Thief)), and I wouldn't mind being a mage as well. I keep getting offers to join the fighter's guild, so I imagine so?

Also, is there any kind of cavalry ability? Having to get off your horse to fight is kind of lame.

Oh, I'll also point out that, although the sneaking/thieving system isn't BAD once you get used to it, it is nowhere near as good as Thief. I'm not asking for much - just the ability to hide in the dark (better implemented) and be able to steal without being in "sneak" mode (i.e. as long as no one sees you or infers that you stole goods, e.g. they turn away, turn back and a goblet is gone).

Also, what's up with the lack of wildlife? Why is it that in RPGs it seems (and granted, I haven't played that many) all wild animals are completely hostile? It's not difficult to write basic instinctual animal AI that has needs such as hunger, territory, etc. Approach a timberwolf in his den, he'll attack you. It's still that they just run after you after spotting you 50 feet away.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I see all these small things that would have taken not much effort or time to correct, it's rather annoying. And it's not just this game. It's the fact that each new generation of games that SHOULD be offering these features, doesn't.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-29, 11:11 PM #467
I see more deer than wolves....

Oh, and I saw a butterfly once! :D
2006-03-30, 12:17 AM #468
Uch, I'll only be getting oblivion in about four weeks probably. I changed my mind - I want to pass my exams but that means no Oblivion :(
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-03-30, 12:47 AM #469
You know that sidious guy? Well he says another thing that is very sidious-esque. Major spoiler though.

He kind of says "Wipe them out. All of them." Before he sends you to purge your sanctuary of your fellow assassins. It made me sad, my fellow assassins were more friendly to me than anyone else in the whole game. Except for maybe Captain Picard.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-03-30, 12:57 AM #470
I'm almost always in 3rd person view. The only time I go into 1st person is when I have to pick up small items, or use arrows and attack spells, which isn't often. And, now that I've just made a mage, I'll be teaching myself to aim spells in 3rd person, too. I'm already pretty good with it.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-03-30, 1:12 AM #471
Why anyone would like playing a TES game in 3rd person is beyond me.
2006-03-30, 3:30 AM #472
Originally posted by Rob:
Blood never gets on my sword. :(

I tweaked the decal stuff in my ini, now I almost always have blood on my sword during the game. And everything is bloodied. Just takes some more juice out of your gpu.

Tweak :

fDecalLifetime=100.0000
(originally set at 10, so blood disappears also right away when its on your blade, now it stays a while)

iMaxDecalsPerFrame=99
I think its originally set at 15, at 99 blood gets all over the ground, on characters and swords almost instantly during a fight.

bDecalsOnSkinnedGeometry=1
This was set to 1 by default for me anyways, just make sure its on. It allows blood on textured models like creatures, swords, shields, character.

Note : Make sure to edit the ini in my documents/my games/oblivion/oblivion.ini, not oblivion_default.ini in the game install dir. (make a back up of the original ini before you mod it). Again, this takes some more juice out of the gpu, make sure it can handle it!
2006-03-30, 4:41 AM #473
Originally posted by tofu:
Why anyone would like playing a TES game in 3rd person is beyond me.

I can see a lot more than you without having to swing around like a paranoid person every other second.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-03-30, 4:58 AM #474
Through and through, while Bethesda offered the 3rd person view, the game is meant to be played in 1st person, so you cannot blame them for not polishing it. You can argue for days and nights and months that 3rd person view is better or not, and I myself use first person view 50% of the time (I use 1st for combat, spell and picking up stuff), BUT ultimatly, the devs have said time and time again that the game was meant to be played in first person view.

If you want to complain about third person view, complain that there is no diagonal movement animation (strafe+foward). :p
2006-03-30, 5:18 AM #475
Originally posted by Oxyonagon:
Uch, I'll only be getting oblivion in about four weeks probably. I changed my mind - I want to pass my exams but that means no Oblivion :(

I know the feeling....why I am still reading this thread which makes me want it more I don't know... :(
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-30, 8:48 AM #476
Originally posted by Jepman:
I tweaked the decal stuff in my ini, now I almost always have blood on my sword during the game. And everything is bloodied. Just takes some more juice out of your gpu.

Tweak :

fDecalLifetime=100.0000
(originally set at 10, so blood disappears also right away when its on your blade, now it stays a while)

iMaxDecalsPerFrame=99
I think its originally set at 15, at 99 blood gets all over the ground, on characters and swords almost instantly during a fight.

bDecalsOnSkinnedGeometry=1
This was set to 1 by default for me anyways, just make sure its on. It allows blood on textured models like creatures, swords, shields, character.

Note : Make sure to edit the ini in my documents/my games/oblivion/oblivion.ini, not oblivion_default.ini in the game install dir. (make a back up of the original ini before you mod it). Again, this takes some more juice out of the gpu, make sure it can handle it!

Thanks dude!

Any other cool tweaks I should be knowing about?

You have the ATI card right?

I have a 7800GTX.
2006-03-30, 9:10 AM #477
Through and through, while Bethesda offered the 3rd person view, the game is meant to be played in 1st person, so you cannot blame them for not polishing it. You can argue for days and nights and months that 3rd person view is better or not, and I myself use first person view 50% of the time (I use 1st for combat, spell and picking up stuff), BUT ultimatly, the devs have said time and time again that the game was meant to be played in first person view.

If you want to complain about third person view, complain that there is no diagonal movement animation (strafe+foward). :p

Thank you
D E A T H
2006-03-30, 9:12 AM #478
Yea, ati x1900.

There are tweaks to fix that disgusting LOD on the distant terrain texture, but it causes some slightly messed up water reflections and a wierd hopping bug every once in a while.

One that is fun is setting the following to 1 (0 by default :)

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=0
bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=0
bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=0
bUseWaterReflectionsActors=0

Allows actors and vegetation to reflect in the water.

For grass draw distance :

[Grass]
iMinGrassSize=80
fGrassEndDistance=8000.0000
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

The above are the default maximum. I personally increased it to 10000 and 9000. Note that some of the settings are reset next time you go in the video options so stay out of them. :p

I want to ask, do you get pop ups on grass, and when a new cell loads (loading area...) things pop up all around. I'm trying to figure out if its my cpu or gpu or if its normal and I'm the only one annoyed by it.
2006-03-30, 9:13 AM #479
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Thank you[/QUOTE]

My pleasure! :p
2006-03-30, 9:19 AM #480
Yea, ati x1900.

There are tweaks to fix that disgusting LOD on the distant terrain texture, but it causes some slightly messed up water reflections and a wierd hopping bug every once in a while.

One that is fun is setting the following to 1 (0 by default :)

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=0
bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=0
bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=0
bUseWaterReflectionsActors=0

Allows actors and vegetation to reflect in the water.

For grass draw distance :

[Grass]
iMinGrassSize=80
fGrassEndDistance=8000.0000
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

The above are the default maximum. I personally increased it to 10000 and 9000. Note that some of the settings are reset next time you go in the video options so stay out of them. :p

I want to ask, do you get pop ups on grass, and when a new cell loads (loading area...) things pop up all around. I'm trying to figure out if its my cpu or gpu or if its normal and I'm the only one annoyed by it.

Yeah, even without those settings things just pop up when I load a new cell.

↑ Up to the top!