Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
2006-03-23, 9:35 PM #201
Originally posted by Rob:
Where the hell is the other thief guild doyen?
In Bravil, her house is right inside the city gates. And Yoshi, you have to get caught stealing and go to jail, and then someone from the thieve's guild will approach you with a note.
2006-03-23, 9:49 PM #202
Or max the Persuasion game with a Beggar and then bribe them so they tell you how to meet Gray Fox. Also, Theives guild =/= Dark Brotherhood, fyi. One is stealing, one is killing.

Is it possible to tame a mount? I found a unicorn in the wild and it's insanely fast, but it keeps wanting to go back to the place I found it unless I stick it in a stables and even then the guards go after it and try to kill it. Dumb***es don't realize it can't be damaged by normal weapons though. It even goes after me sometimes, in which I either have load a previous game or load it with silver arrows. Anyone know of any way to replace that slow first mount with the unicorn?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-03-23, 9:56 PM #203
Yeah, I'm tempted to join the Brotherhood...maybe my next char. I plan on making an assassin next anyways.
D E A T H
2006-03-24, 1:51 AM #204
My character.

My cards a 6600 with 256 mb running at 800x600

Walking gets a good framerate, but once on horseback it gets a bit laggy at times.
Attachment: 11098/oblivion.jpg (103,216 bytes)
2006-03-24, 2:30 AM #205
Anyone know where to score alot of lockpicks?
2006-03-24, 3:17 AM #206
Goblins always seem to carry them.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-03-24, 3:30 AM #207
Anyone know how to pick locks without breaking your picks?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-03-24, 4:02 AM #208
Just need to be skilled at the mini game and at the security skill...

Wheee my ranger is an Aragorn look-alike!
[http://www.myjep.com/oblivion/berick.jpg]
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-24, 6:38 AM #209
The fences sell lockpicks.

I have Apprenctice in merchant, because I.. steal alot of things. Expensive things. Like Jewelry, and armor.

I'm also pretty close to getting Journeyman in marksman!

Does anyone know how to become a vampire, or is there any other cool mythical creature type dealie you can become?
2006-03-24, 7:01 AM #210
There are a couple thieve's guild missions where you end up fighting vampires, so you can just let them hit you until you contract the vampire disease.
2006-03-24, 7:11 AM #211
Quote:
Yeah, I'm tempted to join the Brotherhood...maybe my next char. I plan on making an assassin next anyways.
What's holding you back? You do know you can be a part of mulitple guilds, right? I'm starting on the Mages guild first, though, so I can get access to the enchanting and alchemy stuff, then I'm moving on to Thief, Fighter, Dark Brotherhood in that order.

Also, I know you can cure the disease a vampire gives you at first, but as soon as you become a vampire you're stuck as a vampire, aren't you?
2006-03-24, 7:23 AM #212
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]What's holding you back? You do know you can be a part of mulitple guilds, right? I'm starting on the Mages guild first, though, so I can get access to the enchanting and alchemy stuff, then I'm moving on to Thief, Fighter, Dark Brotherhood in that order.

Also, I know you can cure the disease a vampire gives you at first, but as soon as you become a vampire you're stuck as a vampire, aren't you?[/QUOTE]

Kieran, some people like to have various characters, and experience guilds seperatly. I'm like that myself. My characters aren't jack of all trades really.

I'm going to start work on a new Imperial Legion "guild" kinda like there was in Morrowind, but I mean for my quests to be that much more involving, like leading a squad to defend the borderlands, etc.
2006-03-24, 8:03 AM #213
Speaking of which, any of you guys planning to get into some Oblivion modding?
2006-03-24, 8:49 AM #214
I see the faces still look crappy as ever.

That was a huge problem in morrowind. The models were awful.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-24, 8:59 AM #215
You make your faces, and you can definatly make some good ones.
2006-03-24, 9:33 AM #216
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]What's holding you back? You do know you can be a part of mulitple guilds, right? I'm starting on the Mages guild first, though, so I can get access to the enchanting and alchemy stuff, then I'm moving on to Thief, Fighter, Dark Brotherhood in that order.

Also, I know you can cure the disease a vampire gives you at first, but as soon as you become a vampire you're stuck as a vampire, aren't you?[/QUOTE]
What Jeptastic said.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
I see the faces still look crappy as ever.

That was a huge problem in morrowind. The models were awful.

Only some of them. you can customize them. Really, the models are awesome. I just wish not EVERYTHING was Parallax Mapped. And the only thing in the game that isn't are trees, flowers, grass, and water. I'm being 100% serious.
D E A T H
2006-03-24, 10:02 AM #217
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi] I just wish not EVERYTHING was Parallax Mapped. And the only thing in the game that isn't are trees, flowers, grass, and water. I'm being 100% serious.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. looks great on dungeons texturing like bricks, rock, etc. and definatly for finner detail on weapons and armor.... but character bodies. o.O

My one gripe with the whole character creation detal is how they make you create it in a dark place, looks awesome but once you get into sunshine its completely different. Made me cry with my aragornish character. And especially when he's next to most people, he looks sickly pale. :( I wish there was a console command to alter looks whenever in game like there was in morrowind.
2006-03-24, 1:21 PM #218
Okay, I got caught stealing...how long do I have to wait in jail for someone to come up to me with a note?
D E A T H
2006-03-24, 1:33 PM #219
Just joined the blades, now I have awesome armor.
2006-03-24, 1:40 PM #220
Originally posted by Overlord:
Just joined the blades, now I have awesome armor.

Yub yub Belenos too.
2006-03-24, 2:00 PM #221
Lame... My friend won't let me borrow it to install and return (no-DVD patch), or burn it on a DVD. What are friends for eh?

I'll have to get a 'demo' from a friend before I can purchase the damn thing myself in 1-2 weeks (hopefully).
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-24, 2:15 PM #222
surely the safest way to get into the thieves guild is via the beggars?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-24, 2:26 PM #223
I want to know if I should sink 50 bucks into this:

Radeon 9800 256MB
512MB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 Bit Processor
1.81 GHz

Can I run it at reasonable performance?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-24, 2:51 PM #224
It'll be reasonable kirbs. An extra 512mb of RAM wouldn't hurt though. Especially since it's like 30 bucks.

Detty--I got in through the beggars.
D E A T H
2006-03-24, 3:18 PM #225
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I want to know if I should sink 50 bucks into this:

Radeon 9800 256MB
512MB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 Bit Processor
1.81 GHz

Can I run it at reasonable performance?

My friend (cough) who has a closely performing PC (128MB 9800 Pro and a Athlon XP 1800+) says it runs awesome, and with a little tweaking it should run fine.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-03-24, 4:26 PM #226
I might aswell join in... how do you think mine will run?

2600xp athlon 2ghz processor
1024mb ram
128mb Radeon 9600XT

I hope it runs on medium or something like that. Think I'll get close to it without too much graphical lag? :(
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-03-24, 4:27 PM #227
That's my friends comp, and he runs medium-ish settings fine.
D E A T H
2006-03-24, 4:32 PM #228
People wondering about their comps:

[url]www.srtest.com[/url]
2006-03-24, 5:22 PM #229
A couple questions for you guys.

I got the ring(venomsomething?) as a quest reward from the Bruma quest where you have to deliver the ancient Akaviri orders and retrieve an Akaviri artifact necklace, but it won't let me wear the quest reward necklace. Perhaps it is higher level than I can wear, but I thought the rewards were levelled, so I may just sell it. Anyone else run into this problem with other items?

I have a question about armor. You skill up in armor and eventually get to a point where it says armor no longer encumbers you. Now, does that mean it doesn't decrease your speed anymore, no longer counts towards the encumberance of what you can carry, or both? If the latter isn't what it means, then Light Armor will be a hell of a lot better, even for a pure combat warrior.

Handy tip: carry a silver dagger(or the silver blunt equivilent) at all times. You never know when you'll run into a creature that can only be damaged by silver, enchanted, or daedra weapons. A silver dagger is just the most accessible and lightest option. I learned both those lesssons the hard way. :(
2006-03-24, 8:10 PM #230

Ohhhhh.

You can cure vampirism, btw.

If you get stuck with it and people won't talk to you, that means you need to feed, because lose your youth if you don't feed.
2006-03-24, 11:11 PM #231
I just got oblivion earlier. Can someone tell me what additional graphical features to turn down will give me better performance? I want to avoid turning down stuff like textures and resolution. I've already turned shadows off. Anyone got other suggestions?
2006-03-24, 11:25 PM #232
Well, I tuned down my object, actor, distances as well as my tree distances, though I left my grass pretty high. Turned blood decals to low, turned off blooming, and pretty much just turned down almost everything except for textures. I still get some jumpiness though because I need more RAM.

Now I need to deal with the possibility that I seriously jacked up my character at creation when picking his skills. If I have, I'm considering console commands to trade-out major skills. No way am I starting over at this point. Oh, and I need to look for sales on RAM. : /
2006-03-24, 11:39 PM #233
Im thinking I should upgrade my video card. Any recomendations of something thats good and maybe around 300 dollars Canadian?
2006-03-25, 12:11 AM #234
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]Well, I tuned down my object, actor, distances as well as my tree distances, though I left my grass pretty high. Turned blood decals to low, turned off blooming, and pretty much just turned down almost everything except for textures. I still get some jumpiness though because I need more RAM.

Now I need to deal with the possibility that I seriously jacked up my character at creation when picking his skills. If I have, I'm considering console commands to trade-out major skills. No way am I starting over at this point. Oh, and I need to look for sales on RAM. : /[/QUOTE]

in the game, press ~, type in "tg" with no quotes. It will turn off the crappy looking grass and at least double the framerate.
2006-03-25, 1:42 AM #235
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Okay, I got caught stealing...how long do I have to wait in jail for someone to come up to me with a note?[/QUOTE]

You have to serve your time in jail then sleep at an inn. You will get a mysterious note upon waking up.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2006-03-25, 2:23 AM #236
I've got a 3000+ with 1GB of RAM and a 9550 card. How do you guys think it'll run?
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-03-25, 5:04 AM #237
I got the mysterious note while leaving a bookstore or something.

And just now I got invited to (and joined) the Dark Brotherhood. I wonder if anyone here knows what that is.
2006-03-25, 5:05 AM #238
Assuming the lore's consistent, the DB are a bunch of assassins. They had a hedquarters of some description in Mournhold.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-03-25, 5:23 AM #239
Dude, I became a vampire.

Best thing I've ever done.

I waited for or five days, and then went into a cave.. and I just MEGA OWNED everything. Then I went outside and started to melt. :(

So I waited untill night time and fed on the people in the stables outside of the imperial city. Because the door is never locked, and they won't wake up no matter what you do.
2006-03-25, 6:02 AM #240
I became a vampire after resting in a certain burning castle. I didn't even get a chance to cure it, my character just suddenly became thin, wrinkly and angry looking.

I can't stand this. I am going to cheat just to get rid of vampirism, because the quest to cure it sounds exceptionally difficult and boring.

↑ Up to the top!