Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
2006-04-08, 8:48 PM #761
Originally posted by Detty:
even if you're poor at melee combat like a thief/assassin usually is.

Am I alone in thinking thats a very strange comment? My thief/assassin kicks *** at melee. And in most games they are a very melee heavy class.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-04-08, 8:54 PM #762
I think he's talking in a 1 on 1 combat situation, rather than sneaky-assassin kills. Assassins are usually low in heatlh.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-08, 9:26 PM #763
If I play over again, I'm making my own class.

With Armorer as a major skill...

Infact, I'll do it with all the stuff I have now as major skills, just substitute alteration for armorer, that'd be mega-leetio.
2006-04-08, 9:56 PM #764
I've been playing it on my friends 360 the past few nights.. and wow widescreen tv with HD cables it looks amazing. we just got outside of the caves.. then we stole a horse and got arrested.. broke out and now have this large bouty.. oops
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-04-08, 10:30 PM #765
I got this game kind of late, so I've missed a lot of stuff in this thread... but man is it great.

It's horrendously easy to infiltrate the planes of Oblivion without killing anyone if you have heavy armor (I'm using Dwarven stuff, mostly) and just keep using the "heal minor wounds" spell. I shut down three gates just today by walking in there and taking the latent sigil stones (sp?) and didn't even have to kill anything.
Stuff
2006-04-08, 10:31 PM #766
I only have about 30 more quests to go, and then onto the mage's guild!
2006-04-08, 10:42 PM #767
I don't know how to do spoiler text, but....

I recently murderd a guy named Roland that some Righteous Blood guy thought was a vampire. This made the dark brotherhood come to me as I slept, and it also made me realize that the Righteous blood guy doesn't go out during the daylight. I wish I knew the truth, but my snooping has left me nowhere. I seriously think he was the vampire, and I killed an innocent man.
2006-04-08, 10:54 PM #768
Yup, you totally did.

Heres a pointer.

Before you slay someone, quicksave, and put your weapon away, and try to talk to the person.

Alot of times there is a plot twist.
2006-04-09, 12:28 AM #769
So I started an alternate save and joined the Dark Brotherhood. Man-oh-man, those quests are FUN. The rewards are awesome, too. The only thing that it effects in the rest of the game is your appearance or whatever towards others. I totally avoided it, thinking it'd interfere with my other quests and whatnot.

I hope someone mods in the gigantic "You can't go there" terrain, because I think nations would be awesome.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-09, 4:31 AM #770
doing the dark brotherhood doesn't affect your other quests at all
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-04-09, 4:37 AM #771
Infamy makes other characters more hostile toward you. I've found it doesn't really have an impact until you're the leader of both the Thieves Guild as well as the Dark Brotherhood, at which point you'll need to carry around personality-buffing items whenever you complete quests that involve a hostile element. Such as the siren quest near Anvil.
2006-04-09, 8:45 AM #772
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I hope someone mods in the gigantic "You can't go there" terrain, because I think nations would be awesome.

I'm a wood elf, and I set out to find my fellow race, but the land was blocked. This made me very sad...
2006-04-09, 8:51 AM #773
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Infamy makes other characters more hostile toward you. I've found it doesn't really have an impact until you're the leader of both the Thieves Guild as well as the Dark Brotherhood, at which point you'll need to carry around personality-buffing items whenever you complete quests that involve a hostile element. Such as the siren quest near Anvil.

I've got about 130 fame and 3 infamy and was thinking about doing the thieves guild and dark brotherhood. If I finish those two, I'm assuming my infamy won't be as high as my fame.. but will people still be more hostile?

I like them nice :(
[This message has been edited by Viper45 (edited December 27, 2000).]
2006-04-09, 9:26 AM #774
Some people, especially if they are suspicious of you, will not like you as much.

Of course, you can always persuade them rather easily, with a bit of gold :D
2006-04-09, 12:35 PM #775
Try using the console to set your speechcraft skill to 255. With 0 fame and 0 infamy, I had random townsfolk coming to MY aid when I maliciously attacked a town guard! :D It was freaking hilarious!

Whenever I attack someone in a random inn or something, the whole place erupts into a bar fight, with random people attacking other people. Usually no one even tried to fight me. :D

Oh, and whenever I murder someone within sight of a guard, sometimes the guard just walks up to me and lets me off the hook because he likes me so much.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-09, 12:41 PM #776
Cheater. :p
2006-04-09, 12:54 PM #777
Theres an .ini tweak that turns off the invisible boundaries.

There isn't alot past them, though.
2006-04-09, 1:48 PM #778
Is there a mod or anything to have the map zoom out further than that second map-mode?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2006-04-09, 1:51 PM #779
Yeah, I wish there was. It's annoying rolling around the map looking for things.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-09, 1:53 PM #780
There isn't one that I know of, but there'd be nice if there was a mod.

I ****ing hate that map. :(
2006-04-09, 2:59 PM #781
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Is there a mod or anything to have the map zoom out further than that second map-mode?

This mod is decent, it does a bunch of stuff including making the map screen a bit larger and zooming it out a bit. You still have to scroll around a lot but it's more tolerable.

The mod also makes the font and icons in all the menu screens much smaller so you can see more spells, weapons etc on your screen at once. Very, very useful.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-09, 5:57 PM #782
ImprovedUI is your god. I combines the previous mod and another. Also, this link directs you to Filefront, which is better than FilePlanet imo.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-04-09, 8:17 PM #783
Screw that noise.

It disables location hints, and quest markers.
2006-04-10, 6:07 AM #784
Yeah, rather annoyingly it does, but you can turn them back on with the console.

It's worth it.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-10, 2:19 PM #785
The freaking witch won't come upstairs and give me my damn cure vampirism potion.
2006-04-10, 2:38 PM #786
See if you can pick-pocket it from her :em321:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-10, 2:40 PM #787
I'm playing about the game just being a pure vanilla thief. Its amazing how much cool stuff they added to the game for thievery. Secret passages in the castles, basement traps, secret entrances through the sewers.

By the way, did any of you know that there were some vampires in the Imperial City sewers. That was a cool area. :D
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-10, 3:49 PM #788
Rob, there are four versions in the file of the mod I posted. Two with markers and two without(the other variable is map fade).
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-04-10, 5:10 PM #789
I FINALLY got my copy of Obivion!

/jigs
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-10, 6:09 PM #790
I need weapons and armor. The shops never sell anything decent, and the only good stuff I get are these really expensive cloaks of 7% weapon resist stuff.
2006-04-10, 6:19 PM #791
What quests do you do?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-10, 7:45 PM #792
Just the ones find wandering about towns. They don't give me much.
2006-04-10, 7:50 PM #793
Go look around the countryside for mines, ruins, and caves to pillage. You can sometimes find some pretty good stuff there.
Stuff
2006-04-10, 7:50 PM #794
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Just the ones find wandering about towns. They don't give me much.

They wouldn't. Do theives guild or the dark brotherhood. Or even the main-quest. It's sort of your own fault that your armor sucks.

Or yeah, do what kyle says. Lots of random mines and stuff have really sick stuff in them. Makes me wonder if I should be a miner.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-10, 10:44 PM #795
Loot is based on your level. Level up.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-10, 11:12 PM #796
I've found that the game is completely unbalanced when you're playing as a high-skill stealth character. I actually haven't used armor for several levels at this point, and I honestly can't see myself ever using anything other than the Black Hand Robes again.
2006-04-10, 11:51 PM #797
Yeah, I agree. I killed the Umbra lady with 3 or 4 hits, she got one on me. This was level 3. Then I took her sword, and now I kill everything in 1 hit, maybe 2.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-11, 1:57 AM #798
Let's hear some names for items.
My first poison (Drain int, Drain speed, forget the numbers) was called "Slooooooodown".
My first enchanted weapon (Kvatch Oblivion Gate's sigil stone gave my silver bow 44 armor disintegration) was the "Silver Bow of Oblivion".
Another potion I named "Potion of Blight" but I forget what it did. I don't name potions anymore.
I named a steel helmet that I imbued with Night Eye (another sigil stone) my "IR Helm", though, in retrospect, "Knight-Eye" would have been better. Or not.
A glass claymore (damn, glass things are pretty) of Heavy Armor Absorption or something else pointless (the problem with sigil stones is that despite the fact the effects are strong, you don't get to pick them, really) became the "Glass Claymore For Sale" because I didn't really want it.
I named my Akaviri Katana of endurance absorption (again, those damn sigil stones) the "Oni No Katana" because no other names came to mind.
My favorite is these Dwarven Gauntlets that, after a run in with a sigil stone of Chameleon 25%, became known as the "Predatory Gauntlets". I should be shot... if you can see me, that is! Buah hahaha!
*ahem*
More recently, my Ebony Longsword (Flame damage 15, Sigil Stone) is the "Black Flame of Oblivion", my Glass Bow (Soul Trap 10 sec, Shock Damage 15, from a Grand Soul Gem, Soul Level "Greater") became the "Soul Stealer" (Soul Harvester or Soul Collector would have been better, but only if scythes were a weapon rather than a useless item), and my Daedric Cuiriass became, after a Sigil Stone caper, the "Daedric Armor of Bushido" because my blade level frikkin skyrockets with it.

-Damm scythes. The first time I found one in a crate, I thought I had found the coolest weapon in the game. Nope, just a "misc" item. Someone should mod them as weapons because I want a damn scythe, dammit!
2006-04-11, 2:19 AM #799
I don't really understand how the glass items can be so powerful. If you made a glass sword in real life and tried to use it... well I suppose you'd get some dangerous flying glass shards. And then an enemy with a still-effective steel sword who's enraged by glass-shard lacerations.

A diamond sword, on the other hand...
Stuff
2006-04-11, 2:22 AM #800
Originally posted by kyle90:
I don't really understand how the glass items can be so powerful. If you made a glass sword in real life and tried to use it... well I suppose you'd get some dangerous flying glass shards. And then an enemy with a still-effective steel sword who's enraged by glass-shard lacerations.

A diamond sword, on the other hand...

it's MAGIC
Moo.

↑ Up to the top!