Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
Thread of Oblivious Oblivion goodness
2006-04-11, 2:39 AM #801
Originally posted by kyle90:
I don't really understand how the glass items can be so powerful. If you made a glass sword in real life and tried to use it... well I suppose you'd get some dangerous flying glass shards. And then an enemy with a still-effective steel sword who's enraged by glass-shard lacerations.
Glass, in the Elder Scrolls universe, is actually a greenish transparent metal. The ore is mined. The Ayleids used meteoric glass to make Welkynd and Varla Stones, in the same way that enchanters prefer to work with armor made with meteoric iron. Ayleid lore states that the meteoric form of glass, at least, originated from Aetherius.

The same thing applies to Ebony armor. It's not made of wood. Ebony is a pitch-black metal. Some lore suggests that the source is the blood of Lorkhan. Daedric equipment is actually ebony metal infused with the soul of a Daedroth, which would tend to corroborate this theory.

Quote:
A diamond sword, on the other hand...
...would shatter like glass too. Glass and diamond are both very hard, which is why they're also brittle.
Swords need to be flexible. Real swords have a carbon gradient: low carbon in the middle and on the inside, so they flex; high-carbon on the edge so it stays sharp. A crystalline sword would be useless.
2006-04-11, 6:41 AM #802
I named my +7 Blade Gauntlets to Stabbing Gloves.
2006-04-11, 6:46 AM #803
How do you name stuff?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-11, 6:53 AM #804
I think it only works when you craft it.
2006-04-11, 6:58 AM #805
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I need weapons and armor. The shops never sell anything decent, and the only good stuff I get are these really expensive cloaks of 7% weapon resist stuff.

Besides your level as previously mentioned, your LUCK ability also plays a huge role in the value of random loot you get. Luck is actually the most profitable of all abilities. If you really want to powerplay you should get it as high as possible during character creation. (Mostly because it's hard to improve luck much through leveling.)

I usually just name my enchanted items Celeste's [item] of [effect]. Not all that original :)
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-04-11, 7:48 AM #806
Originally posted by Overlord:
I think it only works when you craft it.

Or enchant it.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-11, 1:55 PM #807
JEPDORK.

How do I manually go to the next phase of a quest?

I think I have a bugged quest.

I'm on the Vampire Cure quest, and I've given the lady everything she wants. She goes in her basement, locks the door.. and won't come back out!

I've waited 24 hours and everything. And the guy I'm doing this all for is part of several other quests.
2006-04-11, 5:21 PM #808
Unlock her door.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-11, 5:28 PM #809
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Unlock her door.

That sounds to sexual.
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2006-04-11, 5:39 PM #810
Originally posted by Rob:
JEPDORK.

How do I manually go to the next phase of a quest?

I think I have a bugged quest.

I'm on the Vampire Cure quest, and I've given the lady everything she wants. She goes in her basement, locks the door.. and won't come back out!

I've waited 24 hours and everything. And the guy I'm doing this all for is part of several other quests.

If it's bugged just use the console to finish the quest (or bump the quest to its next stage).
2006-04-11, 7:15 PM #811
You can craft items?
Holy canole.
But whenever you enchant an item or make a potion, you can name it.

-And, as I recall, the name of an echnanted item you don't manually name is automatically going to be "Enchanted Item - Click to Change" or something like that, so I fail to see how you'd not realize you can name it, along with the fact that the alchemy tutorial tells you all about it.
2006-04-11, 7:29 PM #812
*cannoli

>.>
<.<
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-11, 7:33 PM #813
My deepest apologies MB.
Holy Cannoli.

-Can items really be crafted, though?
2006-04-11, 9:57 PM #814
Originally posted by tofu:
If it's bugged just use the console to finish the quest (or bump the quest to its next stage).

Do you know the command or how to use it?
2006-04-11, 9:58 PM #815
Originally posted by bearded_jarl:
My deepest apologies MB.
Holy Cannoli.

-Can items really be crafted, though?

I don't remember anything about weapon crafting.

It'd be neat for a mod though.

Like in the mines, put little pockets of ore instead of mushrooms and crap. And have a crafting system.. Hmmm. Yes.
2006-04-11, 10:13 PM #816
Originally posted by Rob:
Like in the mines, put little pockets of ore instead of mushrooms and crap. And have a crafting system.. Hmmm. Yes.
There are already pockets of ore in the mines, but it's just silver and gold (IIRC).

The problem is that the Ayleids strip-mined all of Cyrodiil for Glass, and Ebony can only be found on Vvardenfell. You'd never be able to craft high-end equipment from what's available in Cyrodiil.
2006-04-11, 10:31 PM #817
Hmmm.

I see.

Well.... what if you could melt down stuff you already had?

Or what if there was an entire series of undiscovered mines, that you could war with other groups of people over?

Or maybe there'd be a way to buy raw materials.
2006-04-11, 11:14 PM #818
Then it just goes crazy.
It would just be easier if they just let everyone have spears and mounted combat. :em321:
I mean...
Scythes!
Actually, it would be fairly easy for a mod team to (and I know little to nothing about modding oblivion) somehow make mounts other than horses. I would love to ride, like, a sheep or a bear (Look Ron, I'm driving a furry tractor!) after casting calm animal on it or something. War dogs, that sort of thing. Oooh! Get people to give you piggyback rides!

-Maybe not that last one, but the others could be cool.
2006-04-11, 11:24 PM #819
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Glass, in the Elder Scrolls universe, is actually a greenish transparent metal. The ore is mined. The Ayleids used meteoric glass to make Welkynd and Varla Stones, in the same way that enchanters prefer to work with armor made with meteoric iron. Ayleid lore states that the meteoric form of glass, at least, originated from Aetherius.

The same thing applies to Ebony armor. It's not made of wood. Ebony is a pitch-black metal. Some lore suggests that the source is the blood of Lorkhan. Daedric equipment is actually ebony metal infused with the soul of a Daedroth, which would tend to corroborate this theory.

[A diamond sword] would shatter like glass too. Glass and diamond are both very hard, which is why they're also brittle.
Swords need to be flexible. Real swords have a carbon gradient: low carbon in the middle and on the inside, so they flex; high-carbon on the edge so it stays sharp. A crystalline sword would be useless.

Okay, that makes sense. And yeah, you're right about diamond not being very resilient to shattering. I guess ideally you could put a diamond edge on a sword though.
Stuff
2006-04-13, 11:35 PM #820
Haha! I just finished the "A Shadow over Hackdirt" mission. Anyone who's read "A Shadow over Innsmouth" by Lovecraft or played the Call of Cthulhu game should be right at home.

Run down poverty-stricken isolated village? Check
"We don't like outsiders" attitude? Check
Strange bulbous-eyed inhabitants with an Oblivionised "Innsmouth look"? Check
Strange church with references to "Deep Ones"? Check
Staying overnight at the inn not really a good idea? uhhh.. find out for yerself. :)
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2006-04-14, 12:18 AM #821
Awesome! I haven't done that quest yet and love the Cthulhu mythos. Thanks for the tip. :D
2006-04-14, 1:45 AM #822
I found that town, and though I don't know those stories, I did find it interesting. I'll have to go back and stay at the inn. From now on, I'm sleeping in every inn I find.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-04-14, 4:15 AM #823
[QUOTE=Daeron the Nerfherder]Haha! I just finished the "A Shadow over Hackdirt" mission. Anyone who's read "A Shadow over Innsmouth" by Lovecraft or played the Call of Cthulhu game should be right at home.

Staying overnight at the inn not really a good idea? uhhh.. find out for yerself. :)[/QUOTE]

I sorta did. I went to rescue the argonian lass I was supposed to, but then I ended running aroudn with my Night-Eye ring on and hacking down everyone. Got a bad bounty on my head doing so. :(
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-14, 10:42 AM #824
[QUOTE=Daeron the Nerfherder]Haha! I just finished the "A Shadow over Hackdirt" mission. Anyone who's read "A Shadow over Innsmouth" by Lovecraft or played the Call of Cthulhu game should be right at home.

Staying overnight at the inn not really a good idea? uhhh.. find out for yerself. :)[/QUOTE]
So that's how you start that quest. I always figured there must be a quest associated with Hackdirt...
2006-04-14, 6:18 PM #825
I became the Gray Fox and now the nine divines wont cure my diseases :gbk:
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-04-14, 8:35 PM #826
That's because your infamy > your fame. If you get it back to infamy = fame or better then they will heal you again.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-14, 9:39 PM #827
What if you're a vampire, can they be healed and receive blessings? Mine wasn't able to, but I was also in the Dark Brotherhood and Theif Guild, so that might have been why.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2006-04-15, 1:21 AM #828

I slept in that inn for 4 days, but no quest started. I got attacked twice, and found some town keys off the attackers, but no actual quest ever started. What am I doing wrong?
2006-04-15, 2:27 AM #829
Go to Chorrol.

From either overhearing people talking, or asking about rumours, you'll hear about Dar-ma, Seed-Neeus's daughter, being missing. This gives you two new topics, "Dar-ma" and "Missing Daughter".
Asking about these leads you to Seed-Neeus at Northern Goods and Trade.
Talk to Seed-Neeus, she tells you Dar-ma never came back from a delivery to Hackdirt and to go talk to Etira Molin there or to look for Dar-ma's horse Blossom whom she would never part with.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2006-04-15, 8:55 AM #830
What's a good place to buy healing spells? The one I have now I have to use like 20+ times before I'm full again. But I can't find any decent healing spells anywhere :\

[edit] Nevermind made a nice one myself at the mages guild.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-04-15, 8:59 AM #831
churches.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-04-15, 9:10 AM #832
Where are the vendors that sell healing potions?
2006-04-15, 9:35 AM #833
Why do you need a vendor? Almost every person you have to kill for quests has 1 or 2 on them.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-04-15, 10:19 AM #834
A thread this big, and no RadiantAI stories?

I haven't seen much, but I haven't had the game very long.

I was walking along a path to a city, when I came upon a bow wielding bandit. A quick blast of magic and a powerslam to the side of the head fixed him up good. So I continued down the road and noticed a woman walking in the same direction. I noticed she had an arrow sticking out of her chest and must have stumbled apon that same bandit but got away somehow.
So I save my game and proceed to attack her but before I could get a second swing in, she vanishes and reapears 50ft away off the path right in front of two Imps! Now they are on her *** as well as a warhammer weilding mage! She takes off into a nearby cave and I continue the chase only to find a 3 path fork within the cave. I ended the chase and had a nice laugh. She got away, but not before making a mess in her loins. :p
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-15, 10:38 AM #835
AI stories eh?

Well the other day I was just outside of Imperial City when a Bandit managed to spook my horse and made him bolt. I dunno how you make the horse stop bolting short of catching up with him or quick-traveling, so I decided to give chase. The bandit ran past a pack of wolves which started chasing him. 4-5 minutes later we ran into a city guard just outside of Cheydinhol who took out the bandit and the wolves. It was like a Benny Hill movie while the conga line of horse, bandit, wolf, wolf, wolf, and me ran there.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-15, 10:53 AM #836
At one point I was traviling somwhere just north of Bruma when I suddenly saw some dead deer spreaded around, when I looked further I saw that there were at least 20 or so carcasses nearby. Then I found the culprit when I encountered na Imperial hunter. I still wonder if it was some kind of easter egg or if the AI was responsible.

The radiant AI can be fun at times, but mostly you just don't notic it's there. It's pretty annoying that you often can't complete quests at night unless you break in the house of your employer.

The battle AI is absolutely lousy. All the enemies do is run straight at you and hack away, ocassionally casting a spell. Even when their hitpoints are almost gone they still attack happily. Enemies who only have melee attacks you can easily kill by climbing on a rock so they can't get near you and then just ranged attack them (destruction spells or arrows), they'll just stand still or strafe left-right the entire time.
The AI of allies is even worse, which make the oblvion gates a chore. Every time I have allies with me in Oblivion they keep running into the darn lava :mad:
Usually this happens when they are on bridges fighting Deadra and then when my allies or me knock back a deadra he falls in the lava. Then the allies just gleefully jump in there after them... Now if it was a quest-vital-character which is immortal it'll infinitely fall unconscious in the lava...

The coolest thing about the game might be killing bears and then seeing them roll down the mountain. They have such an awesome skelletal animation.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

2006-04-15, 10:02 PM #837
I was doing the Anvil Mage's Guild quest. I had met with the battlemages, and we were close to where the killer was supposed to ambush me. I stopped when I saw a person on a hill not too far up the road, but was then approached by the killer from the side. The battlemages ran up to attack her before she was able to hit me. Seeing this, the person on the hill ran down to help the killer. It was an Imperial soldier! I didn't know what to do, so I just watched them until the killer was dead. The soldier didn't stop attacking, and the mages were more hurt than I realized, so I stepped in to help them. Sadly, the soldier managed to kill both before I finally brought him down.

Still confused as to why this had happened, I went up to where I had originally seen him standing. I found his horse dead, as well as several dead dear. I was a little freaked out now. I drew my weapon, and took a look around the area. I don't know how I missed it before, but there an Oblivion gate just off the road. I can only assume that that had something to do with it.
2006-04-15, 10:21 PM #838
yeah, also, whenever more than one person fights with another person and start swinging huge swords and axes, they hit eachother as well as the bad guy (well, girl) and they get pissed at eachother. i get in trouble for it all the time, and ive seen the AI do it too. exact same thing happened to me on that part of the quest.
2006-04-15, 10:51 PM #839
Happens with summoned critters as well. I've had many a scamp go evil on me.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-04-15, 11:00 PM #840
Speaking of summoned creatures, which is the best at close combat? I have the scamp and fire atronach, but both seem to prefer using fire spells, even though they always do more damage with their fists.

↑ Up to the top!