Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything games
123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748
Anything games
2018-08-28, 11:39 AM #361
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/membrane-an-alien-first-person-shooter-pc#/

It does pain me to see our own Shred18 not having much success at getting his game funded.

Well, he's cancelled the campaign. : <
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2018-08-28, 9:18 PM #362
Originally posted by saberopus:
Gosh, is there anyone around who does, though? I can't think of anyone. JM's gone.

Now THAT'S insulting to GBK.

Or Libsa Norec.
2018-08-28, 9:20 PM #363

Or Friend14/Alco.
2018-08-28, 9:45 PM #364

Or Ortheza.
2018-08-28, 9:48 PM #365
Or Goit.
2018-08-28, 9:50 PM #366
The author of this level has quite the foreshadowing name, BTW
2018-08-28, 10:26 PM #367
KYBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
2018-08-29, 7:16 AM #368
i made a house in normans sky
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2018-08-29, 8:32 AM #369
Or Grismath.

I would put all those names before mine. And more.

I suck at Jed.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2018-08-29, 9:21 AM #370
Gosh, is there anyone around who does, though? I can't think of anyone. JM's gone.

Or - the author of the greatest JK level of all time (Backup Base) - Krokodile.

Never forget! https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?67814-Massassi-Bread-Parade-Backup-Base-1-1-as-the-Permanent-Level-of-the-Week&highlight=
2018-08-29, 9:23 AM #371
none of those people are here, though. gbk's not here, he's just faking being here. pretending
2018-08-29, 9:29 AM #372
Of all the people to remember, you picked JM... I shall remember this forever!

(Or until 2 PM next Tuesday, at any rate.)

Anyhow, it's still a grand shame that possibly the most talented of us all, Ruthven, still hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves.
2018-08-29, 11:13 AM #373
Of all the people to remember, you picked JM... I shall remember this forever!

(Or until 2 PM next Tuesday, at any rate.)

Anyhow, it's still a grand shame that possibly the most talented of us all, Ruthven, still hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves.

:P Mostly picked him because of JedMaster...
2018-08-29, 11:27 AM #374
!

OUTRAGE. SHOCK and OUTRAGE.
2018-08-29, 9:38 PM #375
But still. Ruthven, one with actual skill and talent, actually went to university to get a degree in what he did best and, unlike Spiral, didn't become a millionaire as a result.

Sad!
2018-08-30, 5:56 AM #376
none of those people are here, though. gbk's not here, he's just faking being here. pretending

It's true.

I'm not here.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2018-08-30, 10:19 AM #377
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Wait just a goshdarned minute.

Is that a beautifully orchestrated version of the music that plays in the Concourse in TIE Fighter?

No, wait, I just remembered. It's the tech room!

Oh yeah, they are pretty good remakes:

https://soundcloud.com/laserschwert/sets/tie

Also used them in TODOA 2:

http://vimeo.com/nikumubeki/todoa2part1
http://vimeo.com/nikumubeki/todoa2part2
2018-09-01, 8:28 AM #378
Valve has started adding Wine support into Steam on Linux. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJoAy944MoM
The good thing about that is that Steam has commercial interest in ensuring compatibility. I think this is the first time a company is investing know-how into Wine not to sell Wine, but to sell products using Wine. I guess it's similar to how more and more companies are using DOSBox to sell their old games.
Sorry for the lousy German
2018-09-14, 7:44 PM #379
Over the last few weeks I've been borrowing my sister-in-laws Wii U and playing Breath of the Wild, but she takes it back every couple of days so I'm making slow progress on the game. I've gotten to the point of throwing down the money for my own system, but I'm torn on if I should get the Switch or tracking down a Wii U and getting that. Does anyone have any extensive experience with both systems, or convincing opinions on the matter?
My blawgh.
2018-09-14, 7:49 PM #380
Is that the Zelda game that was mirrored in one of the console releases? It seems to me the older console's version was the best one. Personally, I'm interested in picking up a WII U at some point because I completely skipped the WII and it will give me access to both libraries.

I just added a shelf to the multipurpose room in the basement and have it cleaned to an acceptable level so I've been spending a little bit of time with some 360 games today.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-09-15, 8:43 AM #381
Twilight Princess was the mirrored one, it was GameCube and Wii.

I think Wookies argument for the Wii U is good, in that you get both libraries, but I'm hopeful most of those games with get rereleases. I really like my switch, but a large chunk of that is how portable the console is for just throwing down a 4 person Mario tennis match at will.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2018-09-15, 10:02 AM #382
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Twilight Princess was the mirrored one, it was GameCube and Wii.

I think Wookies argument for the Wii U is good, in that you get both libraries, but I'm hopeful most of those games with get rereleases. I really like my switch, but a large chunk of that is how portable the console is for just throwing down a 4 person Mario tennis match at will.

are you that guy who goes to rooftop parties with your switch
2018-09-15, 11:21 AM #383
they forgot to include my invitation to the yuppie rooftop mario kart parties with my switch
I had a blog. It sucked.
2018-09-15, 3:33 PM #384
When it comes to Nintendo products I'm really more excited to play the older games than the newer ones. Wii U is appealing for that reason, but with the Switch portability would be great, because when I was borrowing the Wii U I had to drag the unit into the hall for the gamepad to have range enough so I could play it on the toilet.
I can't imagine it would be hard to port everything for the Wii U over to the Switch, on a hardware level are they really so different?
My blawgh.
2018-09-15, 4:03 PM #385
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
I can't imagine it would be hard to port everything for the Wii U over to the Switch, on a hardware level are they really so different?

Yes. The Wii U and Switch use completely different hardware from different vendors, and the Switch isn’t a clear performance victor over the Wii U in all areas.

It’s possible that Nintendo has given some libraries or support for porting Wii U games to Switch, but other than that I would expect it to be as difficult as porting to PC or one of the other major consoles.
2018-09-16, 5:49 AM #386
Also, I'm quite sure that if someone ends up playing DXN anymore, they still won't have any idea what something like this is referring to:

[Unable to find specified attachment]
2018-09-23, 9:05 PM #387
Finally played through The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. I picked up Escape From Butcher Bay on the Original Xbox when it came out (or close to it) and I always really liked the game. Eventually I picked up Dark Athena for the 360 which includes the remastered Butcher Bay. The games have always been pretty popular as far as film themed games done right go. I'm glad I finally got through this 360 disc but Dark Athena really let me down. I'd say the last third got a little boring but picked up near the end. The end itself was pretty abrupt especially compared to Butcher Bay. I like the Riddick films, though, and I still really enjoyed the game/s.

It does, however, look as if my 360 DVD drive is done. I knew this was coming and picked up a newer console awhile back. Perhaps I can fix it. The drive was sticking and now that I've cleaned it it isn't making any audible sign of responding to eject button presses although they are registering on screen.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-09-24, 4:21 AM #388
My daughter got a 360 from a friend, and you have to smack the case repeatedly while trying to open the drive for it to actually open.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2018-09-24, 5:08 AM #389
My original Xbox DVD went out too but it's easy to swap a new one in. It's technically easy to swap a new one into a 360 but they're coded to the motherboard.

2018-09-24, 6:40 AM #390
OMG, I finally have a more or less proper desk and can finally play Doom 2016 properly and OMG, that game is fun!
Sorry for the lousy German
2018-09-24, 6:59 AM #391
My desk is covered with screwdrivers and pry tools from pulling the 360 apart about three times yesterday. It gets easier each time. Not so much because it's more familiar but because I care less about breaking plastic tabs on each subsequent tear down.

edit - Cool, rookie mistake. On this last tear down I check the power and data cables from the drive where they plug into the motherboard and they were not fully seated. Powered it on this time before reassembly and I heard the drive tray fully close. It now works but I should probably replace the belt so at least one more tear down in the future.

To Darkjedibob, your symptoms sound like what I was dealing with. You can probably clean the drive like I did but don't make the mistake I did and it will at least work better. Mine still seems sticky but it is much better.

2018-09-25, 11:21 AM #392
Have you ever noticed on Amazon if you're looking at something game related it will tell you the trade in value of other things you purchased there? It just told me it would give me three dollars for the Xbox 360 I bought (probably last year, the 4GB E console) and like six for the 250 GB HDD for it. Good grief.

Anyway, I decided the next old game to play that I've had but not played is at least the Half Life 2 portion of The Orange Box on 360. I think this is my third time starting it. I believe I already am further than before which isn't saying much.

2018-09-25, 1:59 PM #393
Ergh, I've tried playing HL2 like a hundred times (ok maybe a dozen). It's sooo boring. I'm tired of the game before I even get the first gun. The crowbar parts take way too long. Then you finally get a pistol or something but never enough ammo. And the things you fight are little tiny annoying things. And the game moves so slowly. I didn't understand it back then and I still don't understand the appeal of this game. I think the farthest I ever got was onto a beach or something... let me try to find a video of the level.
2018-09-25, 2:03 PM #394
I found a walkthrough (helpfully not a video one) and it looks like I made it into "sandtraps" and then quit. Spoilers (for you, Wookie06) if you click these links:

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/halflife2/sandtraps/sandtraps.htm

It looks like this is about halfway through the game. I swear every enemy in that game (at least up until this point) was just designed to annoy me. It wasn't fun or or satisfying in any way, it was just annoying. Constantly.
2018-09-25, 2:43 PM #395
Originally posted by Brian:
Ergh, I've tried playing HL2 like a hundred times (ok maybe a dozen). It's sooo boring. I'm tired of the game before I even get the first gun. The crowbar parts take way too long. Then you finally get a pistol or something but never enough ammo. And the things you fight are little tiny annoying things. And the game moves so slowly. I didn't understand it back then and I still don't understand the appeal of this game. I think the farthest I ever got was onto a beach or something... let me try to find a video of the level.

yup hated it, the whole game was like that.

- Too much cutscene
- Too much crowbar
- Too much boating
- Too much zombies
- Too much driving
- Too much antlions
- Too much shooting
- Too much cliffhanger ending

When HL2 first came out, all I could think of was Halo 1. HL2's driving segments were in these huge blocks with almost no variety. Halo 1 mixed vehicle combat in with the rest of the game, so the driving became a treat - it was a different way of interacting with the world, and you often had a choice whether to use a vehicle, or sometimes you even got to choose the vehicle you wanted.

All of HL2's gimmicks are the same way. Just this enormous block of something, and then you never see it again for the rest of the game. It was a terrible waste.
2018-09-25, 2:52 PM #396
I know I remember being impressed with the interaction with the NPCs and the objects before. That's not as impressive now but I think because I'm just coming off Riddick the pace of the game is not too bad right now. You actually get the crowbar really early in the game and the pistol not too long after that. I got to the MP7 last night and I was probably playing around an hour. I'm not really a fast gamer anyway, very out of practice.

I just started working on a spreadsheet catalog of various media now because, even though not nearly like I was in the past, I'm sort of a collector and I have tons of stuff I've never read, watched, or played and also when I'm out I'd like to know for sure what I have when I see deals.

2018-09-25, 2:55 PM #397
I didn't get into Halo until I found it cheap on a later release. Loved it. I saw people playing it co-op a couple times and didn't really get it. I didn't have an XBox at the time anyway. When I did play it, single player of course, I just thought the entire presentation and experience was great.

2018-09-25, 6:36 PM #398
One thing that kills me about the various digital distribution sites for games is just how impossible to use some of them are. GOG is by far the most user friendly. I can easily find just about anything I need there. Steam is a freakin nightmare. I can look at the client app to see all of my games (all two of them) but couldn't find them on the website. Order history shows only one of them because I got one on Amazon. Playstation and Xbox are horrid as well. Both of them also seem to have their crap spread out over several different service sites. Origin wasn't bad. I picked up an Origin Command & Conquer bundle from them on Amazon several years ago. On a related note, the Amazon Appstore works like trash on my Nexus 6. I wouldn't even attempt to use it but Amazon Underground which they forced on me when they decided they weren't going to use Amazon Appstore anymore a year or so ago won't let you install apps anymore. Often I can't get anything to install from their app now.

2018-09-25, 8:08 PM #399
Well, according to the game, I've got about two hours into HL2. I have to say, it feels like a lot more. I see that people online are saying anywhere from six hours to twenty. I hate to say it but I'm probably going to be in the high teens then.

2018-09-26, 4:24 AM #400
I have 15 hours and finished it years ago. But that was also exploring and getting almost all of the achievements, so it may not take that long if you just want to get it over with.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748

↑ Up to the top!