Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything games
123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748
Anything games
2019-03-16, 12:21 PM #1001
Originally posted by SMLiberator:
[https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=28340&d=1552763597]
Here's an explosion.

And now I have a boner. Also for https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=28344&d=1552789409
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-03-16, 1:51 PM #1002
Well, I updated the TODOA 2 video with the current new sabers (the one that "Yoda" has looks pretty cool). Because for some odd reason the injected textures suddenly started working in at least one of my JK builds...

But this is where my contribution in all this stops - otherwise I might start getting ideas.

Looking forward to someone utilizing all these for new better sabers, explosions, blaster fire and so on - a new all-around patch, maybe! (wink wink)
2019-03-16, 2:59 PM #1003
You'll be back... :colbert:
2019-03-16, 7:41 PM #1004
Here's another explosion, this time with extra smoke

Originally posted by Jon`C:
Not documented: you can pass --episode [gob] and --path [dir] to compile.exe.

This tool desperately needs a user manual, but I haven’t had time to write it yet.

"--path" didn't work. By looking at the source code, I believe you meant "--game".

I got everything to work nicely, but some materials won't work on certain levels, where only the basic mat will show. These certain levels happen to have lots of custom 8bit mats and a custom CMP.

Question: are envmaps doable? I'd love to have those really crude, PSX-like reflections in JK
JKGR
2019-03-16, 9:24 PM #1005
I got everything to work nicely, but some materials won't work on certain levels, where only the basic mat will show. These certain levels happen to have lots of custom 8bit mats and a custom CMP.
Compile needs the CMPs in order to generate hashes. It scans all gobs and dirs it can see for colormaps. It’s possible this is bugged, so if you have a scenario that you expected should work and it doesn’t, let me know.

Quote:
Question: are envmaps doable? I'd love to have those really crude, PSX-like reflections in JK
No, anything IBL requires fragment normals and camera position. There’s a whoooooole lot of stuff I could do if I had that data. Envmaps are just the start of it.

If someone familiar with jk.exe patching wanted to collaborate, I’m sure we could come up with some channel for sharing this data between jk.exe and renderer.dll. This isn’t really something I’m prepared to do by myself though.
2019-03-17, 12:31 AM #1006
Originally posted by saberopus:
You'll be back... :colbert:

The effort required to make these emissive effects is far beyond my permanently-stuck-in-1997 editing skills, so I'll wait for someone else to do them instead.

:cool:
2019-03-17, 1:58 AM #1007
Also confirmed that the injector fixes the "missing polygons in 1st person mode" issue, at least to some degree:

[Unable to find specified attachment] [Unable to find specified attachment]

[Unable to find specified attachment] [Unable to find specified attachment]

JK13 on the left, injector on the right
2019-03-17, 3:20 AM #1008
Also, the irony of these glitches essentially being BSP holes isn't lost on me:

Before:

[Unable to find specified attachment]

After:

2019-03-17, 5:58 AM #1009
I have this weird feeling there’s something very different about your setup. The fact that it doesn’t start without compat options is strange, it works fine with them all turned off for me.

Possible culprit: JKVersions.

Kroko recently got a new SSD and reinstalled Windows so I asked him to test the interceptor out. So to get the original CD version of JK.EXE, he used JKVersions to get it and the resulting file was immediately flagged with the Windows Defender symbol and had to be run in a compatibility mode/as an admin to get inject.exe to work.

Incidentally, after putting the emissive sample textures in the correct directory, he got it working with JK immediately whereas on my end it took most of yesterday for the injected textures to start working on JK all of a sudden (with no such issues on MotS and no compatibility modeing/adminning needed with it).

ALSO, I'm not entirely sure why, but when I put the injector in my standard JK and MotS folders, I can set the resolution to 2560x1440 and the menus/game itself will scale properly. But if I, say, copypaste all files from the directory and put them in a different folder, only the upper left corner of the JK/MotS EXE will show on the screen for some reason. So essentially, if I want to create a separate JK folder for the injector, it has to be run at 1024x768.

Possibly yet another FGR-specific issue or something related to the Windows Registry, dunno.
2019-03-17, 7:45 AM #1010
Compile needs the CMPs in order to generate hashes. It scans all gobs and dirs it can see for colormaps. It’s possible this is bugged, so if you have a scenario that you expected should work and it doesn’t, let me know.

Got it. For some reason, the header for my custom CMPs had a version of 32 when it should be 30. A simple hex edit solved the problem.

No, anything IBL requires fragment normals and camera position. There’s a whoooooole lot of stuff I could do if I had that data. Envmaps are just the start of it.

If someone familiar with jk.exe patching wanted to collaborate, I’m sure we could come up with some channel for sharing this data between jk.exe and renderer.dll. This isn’t really something I’m prepared to do by myself though.

Wait. Does that include projected shadows and specular and bump mapping? QM was working on a jk.exe patch (JK2018) but it's been some time since the last update. Other than him I believe the only other person who has done jk.exe patching is XZero.

By the way, here's a tiny patch I made for the sample material pack that fixes the black edges on the saber tip and some saber colors (blue was showing up as silver).
JKGR
2019-03-17, 8:28 AM #1011
@nikumubeki:

I think I fixed the graphics corruption problem you were seeing. Not entirely sure what caused it, but I switched to doing something more like what nvidia's OpenGL driver expects and the problem went away. Let me know if it works for you.

https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod/releases/tag/v0.0.4
2019-03-17, 9:05 AM #1012
Seems to have worked! At least on my testing "boards" of TODOA 2 (with 256x256 textures AND 1024x1024 textures), TODOA (1024x textures) and level 8 of JK (without any JKE type enhancements and with some hi-def models). I'll let you know if it pops up again.
2019-03-17, 9:48 AM #1013
Wait. Does that include projected shadows and specular and bump mapping? QM was working on a jk.exe patch (JK2018) but it's been some time since the last update. Other than him I believe the only other person who has done jk.exe patching is XZero.
If I got everything on my wishlist I could make it look like UE4, lol. Dunno where to even start.

Quote:
By the way, here's a tiny patch I made for the sample material pack that fixes the black edges on the saber tip and some saber colors (blue was showing up as silver).

Props, but the sample pack is intentionally ad hoc to discourage people from using it. It's just an example that I threw together in a few minutes. I want to keep the software and assets projects separate for a bunch of reasons (different release cadences, different project management concerns, avoid perception that the software part prescribes a particular texture pack...)

I'm planning on doing a neural upscale texture pack, but I don't have anything specific planned for effects (sprites, projectiles, lightsabers). It also makes sense that those would be in a separate project/pack from the level textures, since they'll make the game look so different. If someone else wanted to start a project for that I wouldn't complain.
2019-03-17, 10:02 AM #1014
Wishlist off the top of my head:

- per-frame camera position, sector number
- world space vertex normals
- per-frame camera projection matrix (or FOV + near plane + far plane)
- per-frame camera view matrix
- per-frame list of dynamic lights (world position, sector number, color, intensity/radius/whatever JK uses internally)
- some kind of callback I can use to disable JK’s handling of dynamic lights
- some kind of callback I can use to get JK to render the game from a particular position+sector with specified projection and view matrices

Shadow mapping and specular would require pretty much all of this.
2019-03-17, 10:04 AM #1015
Oh, and tricking Jk into drawing the hud at 640x480, because it would double the games frame rate.
2019-03-17, 10:15 AM #1016
As has become "tradition", here's the latest version of the TODOA 2 video: https://vimeo.com/nikumubeki/todoa2

Here's hoping someone will soon make JkGfxMod-supported versions of the JK13 sabers and the JKHub Muzzle Flash mod's, well, muzzle flashes (in addition to incorporating some nice explosions, as seen on this page, to the game).

wink wink SMLiberator cough
2019-03-17, 11:18 AM #1017
@FGR, I'm very much considering doing something along those lines. However, it would be hard to implement those exact explosions as they are quite complex (and make use of a bunch of JKGR specific stuff, like the HUD ghost for getting camera position); while JK's explosions are made of two things (sprite + particles), mine are made of around 32 (multiple pieces of fire, multiple pieces of smoke, a shockwave, embers etc, plus each of these parts has a class cog running a pulse). What I plan on doing now is a basic material pack for JK and maybe for JKE, where explosions would be like JK's but with emissive textures. However, I'd like to have Jon's neural upscaled textures wink wink , and I could handle the materials and effects. Some stuff like the blaster shots would probably also require a model change, but nothing too complex.

I think I fixed the graphics corruption problem you were seeing

Worked for me too.
JKGR
2019-03-17, 11:26 AM #1018
Well, yeah, sufficiently fancy explosions that are just a sprite and a particle would suffice. So more or less the explosion versions of these muzzle flashes: http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=816

And yeah, the muzzle flashes from that mod could be used as the base for the "emissive textured" blaster shots. (IIRC the only bug with that mod is that for some reason, sometimes switching to the repeater rifle will already have the muzzle flash activated for some reason, so you have to fire it once to get rid of it.) It'd need a separate MotS version since the weapon models would have to be changed, though, but in theory it shouldn't be too much of a roadblock. Maybe!
2019-03-17, 2:24 PM #1019

I managed to emulate fog by placing a series of translucent spheres with very low albedo factor values (like really, ridiculously low) around the camera. Looks good enough, I suppose.
JKGR
2019-03-18, 2:25 AM #1020
video plz
2019-03-18, 6:24 AM #1021
There you go. The fact the fog is not perfectly smooth makes it look kind of 16bit-ish depending on the lightning, plus the video quality doesn't help. Still. Also showing some other effects (including explosions) towards the end.
JKGR
2019-03-18, 7:15 AM #1022
Ohh yeah *bom bomm*, that's the stuff.

After injecting the JKR version of this door texture (and adding emissive effects to it) to JK, I realized that with this injector the texture limit removal patch has (probably) become obsolete:

As far as the textures go, to get the mods using 16-bit MATs properly compatible with just plain (CD version of) JK and the injector, I guess one could make a script/program that would:[INDENT]- Analyze every texture included in a mod, create a mod-specific .CMP file based on those textures and then make 8-bit MATs of all the textures

- Convert all the original 16-bit MATs to PNG format and run them through the JkGfxMod compiler so that they can be injected to JK (thus there would be no loss in graphical quality and if someone really wanted to, they could just play the 8-bit version of the mod)

- Or something like that
[/INDENT]

However, the injector probably doesn't do away with the adjoin limits so the JKUP/JK13 patches still retain their primary use especially when it comes to TODOA, Magrucko 3 et al.

Still, cool stuff - especially if someone's starting a new mod for JK utilizing the injector.
2019-03-18, 10:08 AM #1023
Oh yeah, we've got some bloom'n here

(Now to figure out how the emission factors work)
2019-03-18, 10:44 AM #1024
That looks so good, when is the whole game going to be done????
2019-03-18, 10:55 AM #1025
boi
that's fantastic

but this reminds me, what about the square particles? @Jon, is there any way solid mats/surfaces can be replaced by materials too?
JKGR
2019-03-18, 11:50 AM #1026
boi
that's fantastic

but this reminds me, what about the square particles? @Jon, is there any way solid mats/surfaces can be replaced by materials too?

Unfortunately, probably not. JK sends faces with solid mats as untextured triangles with vertex color. What happens if you try to use a texture mat for SPRs? If it's just JK screwing up the texture coordinates, that's fixable.
2019-03-18, 12:33 PM #1027
Tried messing with making something JK13ish myself... the first person results didn't convince me due to weird transparencies (and the aforementioned tip issue).

Normal injector +enhancements on the furthest left, followed by two JK13ish variants:

Looks better in 3rd person mode, though:

2019-03-18, 1:00 PM #1028
What happens if you try to use a texture mat for [particles]? If it's just JK screwing up the texture coordinates, that's fixable.

Texture mats can also store a solid color for each cel. Those are used whenever you set a texture mat to a surface with geomode 3 (solid), which is the case for particles.

There's also some other oddities regarding solid color mats (like how solid colors that use a bright CMP entry will also be fully bright in hardware mode or how particle squares will only ever be displayed as either fully bright or as pitch black), but they have nothing to do with the matter.

Is it possible to add different blending modes? I'm trying to make some decals but some of them look really goofy with normal blending
JKGR
2019-03-18, 6:41 PM #1029
I’m not sure what I’d even add. What are you doing that’s not working with alpha blending?
2019-03-18, 7:09 PM #1030
I'm trying to make blood pools, and it's not that it's not working, it's just that it looks kind of goofy (plus there's some fighting over the drawing order as they often share the same space). I'm specifically thinking about multiply blending. The linked URL also lists various other blending types but I can't really think of many cases where they would be useful.

The best I could do with normal blending on the left, multiply blending on the right
JKGR
2019-03-18, 7:35 PM #1031
Doesn't look feasible, sorry. The hardware's all designed for multiply-add.
2019-03-18, 10:25 PM #1032
Hmm, so could it be possible to make a simple flag in the metadata.json file for "enable additive blending"?

Essentially to enable the JK2013 stuff.
2019-03-19, 12:49 AM #1033
That should just be a compiler change (set the alpha channel to 0, but don't premultiply). Is there anything specific you can't do with emissive+albedo alpha, though?
2019-03-19, 1:27 AM #1034
Just wondering which would be the quickest way to enable JK2013's sabers (and other GFX effects) with the injector, since it'll take more than an FGR to use emissive textures to achieve JK2013's sabers and/or possibly better ones (I kind of do like the middle one in the 3rd person screenshot I posted above, though, but I only got it to work with the green saber).
2019-03-19, 2:20 AM #1035
Originally posted by Brian:
That looks so good, when is the whole game going to be done????

Not forever, but a while. I have a mostly-automated workflow, but there's still a bunch of manual intervention to do per texture.

2019-03-19, 4:25 AM #1036
Damn, we're going to need stickied do-this-in-2019-to-make-jk-look-really-good thread.
Sorry for the lousy German
2019-03-19, 4:43 AM #1037
A (partial) shame is that the injector still requires the CD version of JK.EXE (which is currently retrievable with JKVersions, of course) - whether it's further patched with JKUP or JK13 or not. I mean, it's not a problem for me since I've got the EXE around at all times, but for those Steam/GOG purchasers/who knows it might be inconvenient.

Then again, I'm not sure about the current situation, but at some point you could download CD images of JK and MotS off ModDB just like that.
2019-03-19, 5:37 AM #1038
@FGR, when you say you want emissive JK13 sabers do you mean emissive sabers that look good with JK13's default saber dimensions or just sabers that look like JK13's regardless of dimensions?

Making emissive sabers for JK13 might need some cog tweaking as cogs that come with JK13 will often set translucent flags to sabers which I don't think is something we want here. Honestly I think the quickest way to get sabers to look right with JK13 and the injector is to remove all saber-related cogs and reset default saber dimensions in the EXE (that's what I did with mine).
JKGR
2019-03-19, 5:54 AM #1039
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
A (partial) shame is that the injector still requires the CD version of JK.EXE (which is currently retrievable with JKVersions, of course) - whether it's further patched with JKUP or JK13 or not. I mean, it's not a problem for me since I've got the EXE around at all times, but for those Steam/GOG purchasers/who knows it might be inconvenient.

Then again, I'm not sure about the current situation, but at some point you could download CD images of JK and MotS off ModDB just like that.

I shouldn't write my posts while trying out stuff. It actually did work with the Steam version. I just had to do some workarounds because I'm on Linux.

And the game-discs are available for free on archive.org. I'd consider that a legal source.
Sorry for the lousy German
2019-03-19, 7:37 AM #1040
@FGR, when you say you want emissive JK13 sabers do you mean emissive sabers that look good with JK13's default saber dimensions or just sabers that look like JK13's regardless of dimensions?

The latter. I have no doubt that someone with sufficient patience can use the emissive textures to recreate the JK13 sabers - or likely make them better.

The end goal, however, would be to not require JKUP or JK13 or any other unofficial patch with the injector (which at the moment seems possible for all but one thing: getting rid of the adjoin limits). So none of that "setting sabers as transparent" and "updated JK.EXE messing with the saber dimensions" stuff.
123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748

↑ Up to the top!