Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsInteractive Story Board → NeS workshop
NeS workshop
2005-09-21, 7:17 PM #521
Now I'm confused, Outlaw. Do you want me to shirk the boundaries of human nature and achieve machine-like perfection in my writing, or do you want me to wallow in my own self-admitted screwup and hope that it leads us to a better end?
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2005-09-21, 7:51 PM #522
I think you may have misinterpereted the point of the exercise, TLTE. The point was to see how long we, the writers, could keep this thing going, and then when we screwed up, the game is over and one side or the other will have won.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2005-09-21, 8:32 PM #523
let's consider that a warning to other writers. READ THE WORKSHOP FIRST!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-09-21, 9:22 PM #524
[QUOTE=Krig the Viking]I think you may have misinterpereted the point of the exercise, TLTE. The point was to see how long we, the writers, could keep this thing going, and then when we screwed up, the game is over and one side or the other will have won.[/QUOTE]

yes, exactly. i wasn't isulting you, TLTE, i was just making sure people had realzied what happene and proposed a different way of going about our game, as i personally thought it had gone too fast.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2005-09-22, 6:34 AM #525
*shrugs* As you wish. I care not.
2005-09-22, 2:01 PM #526
While I wouldn't have minded if TLTE had edited his post, the others do remind me of the point of this idea -- a little game for us writers while making posts. In any case, I now say we go for some form of tallying, or a 2 out of 3 or something, as it is too short to end now. Besides, there's nothing to say we can't purposely have a character not use the word either, as I just did ;)

Why DID Gebiyl refrain from saying "spelunking?" The idea was that, as he was about to say it, he noticed that the EeP (which is still inside him) WANTED him to say the word. He didn't know why, but since he doesn't like the EeP, he kept himself from saying that. Gebiyl is still a bad guy though, so it evens the score again.

Where IS Gebiyl going with Young? Honestly, I don't know. This post was in part a stalling tactic. I figured the plot-tunnels would be good for someone like Gebiyl because it's the sort of thing that would make things theoretically quicker for him, and he's all about doing things quick.

What did Young steal from Gebiyl? Again, I don't know. It's entirely possible that she only succeeded in stealing a lint ball. Perhaps she stole the darksaber, or perhaps she even stole some item that Gebiyl had stolen from the heroes back in the Dreamstate. I'm unsure about the last item because Gebiyl is in Gebohq's body, not his own. The only reason why I figure Gebiyl would have the NeSword is because it was Gebohq's to begin with. In any case, it'd probably be small.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-09-23, 1:35 PM #527
Ugh. I tried to keep it alive. I really tried. But it seems that very few people have an interest in Life in the Massassi Temple. Other people DO post, but Reid's last one kind of disappointed me. I'm not trying to complain, but I'm just saying that I may end up not writing for the thread, if other people don't.

Anyhoo, this means I'm going to try to start posting in the NeSquared thread.

Anyhoo, this means I have a lot of reading to do.

Krig, I sent you a PM. Can you please email me that list of character histories?

Thanks.
-Matt
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-09-28, 8:13 PM #528
Woohoo new nes postage, and more fun spelunkage.

Plus a little cameo of Bhac and Mayaal.
2005-09-29, 8:19 AM #529
Do I detect a little Gunmen in the latest post? :D
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-09-29, 4:00 PM #530
Man, it's hard to remember the spelunking <_< We don't have to have the Narrator say spelunk, do we? Also, I figured writers were exempt from having to say it, but if not, oops...

Anywhos, as for some clarification on what I had in mind...

Gebohq, in Gebiyl's body, was left by the Potentials in the dark jungles/heart of Africa (an entire continent we really haven't used in NeS). Think stereotypical African pygmy tribe or something. The idea would be that not only would Gebiyl have been isolated from nearly anyone else in this place, but he would have had protection as well as a little army of his own in Dr. Doom fashion whenever he was suppose to wake up, thanks to the Potentials telling the tribe that Geb's an earth god and that he was sleeping, one day to wake and need them or something like that. Now that Gebohq is there instead, though, he'll have fun trying not to get the tribe to offer human sacrifices to them and eventually find his way back to someone he knows.

As for Gebiyl's stuff:

1) I had the Narrator start calling him S. Geb (Shattered Geb) for the reasons he lists. Mostly though, it's to bring back some of the ambiguity between Gebiyl and Gebohq. I intend to do this only as long as their bodies are swapped.

2) I figured that, at some point when TLTE became a hero before page 50, he told Geb about some of his past, and about this Siberian bunker site. From the character bios, TLTE was on friendly terms with Geb anyway, even if he was hunting Geb down back when he was a villian in the 20's (page-wise). Gebiyl, remembering this, decides to exploit its resources.

3) I thought visiting Russia was not only nice because of the potential for TLTE to dive with his character stuff, but because, to my knowledge, NeS actually hasn't done much of anything in Russia. We can pretend the bunker isn't TOO far out of the way of St. Petersburg and/or any other place in Russia too, and have some fun with that.

Hopefully everything is all good :) I also updated the update section, so you alls know.
2005-09-29, 8:26 PM #531
Ooo, CM and Mimiru can get married in Russia too :D

BTW, just a request to anyone who makes the next post for CM and TLTE (When they finally get together in that room with Thand), please, make some hilarious joke about how CM is getting married before TLTE.

PLEASE. :D
2005-09-29, 11:43 PM #532
That thunder of mine you've stolen is useless without the lightning, you know.
2005-09-30, 12:02 AM #533
Ooooo burn!

Er... was that directed at CM or me? >_>

It was a poetic pwning in any case...
2005-09-30, 6:40 PM #534
It was a light jest at the CM marriage thing. OR WAS IT?
2005-10-05, 5:40 AM #535
I felt compelled to figure this out and post it for you all to see. It's who's posted and when during the last two pages of NeSquared (as of Oct. 5):

Who's posted and how many times (out of 63 posts, most recent to least)
  • CoolMatty - 6/63
  • Gebohq - 15/63 (3 are BUMPs, 1 was co-written with Ante)
  • The Last True Evil - 18/63
  • Krig the Viking - 5/63
  • Ford - 4/63
  • SAJN - 1/63
  • JediKirby - 1/63
  • Antestarr - 5/63 (1 co-written with Geb)
  • Tony - 1/63
  • Matterialize - 2/63
  • Noble Outlaw - 3/63
  • Flirbnic - 1/63
  • Jim7 - 1/63

When posts were made and by whom
PAGE 12
  • Sept. 29 (CM, Geb, Geb, TLTE, CM)
  • Sept. 22 (Geb)
  • Sept. 21 (TLTE)
  • Sept. 17 (CM)
  • Sept. 16 (Krig)
  • Sept. 15 (Ford)
  • Sept. 11 (SAJN)
  • Sept. 07 (TLTE)
  • Sept. 03 (TLTE)
  • Sept. 01 (Geb - BUMP)
  • Aug. 27 (Kirby)
  • Aug. 24 (Ante/Geb)
  • Aug. 16 (TLTE)
  • Aug. 14 (Geb)
  • Aug. 05 (Geb)
  • Aug. 01 (TLTE)
  • July 28 (Krig)
  • July 25 (Tony)

PAGE 11
  • July 25 (Ante)
  • July 16 (TLTE)
  • July 13 (Ford)
  • July 11 (Geb)
  • July 06 (CM)
  • July 05 (TLTE)
  • June 29 (TLTE)
  • June 28 (Matterialize)
  • June 26 (TLTE)
  • June 25 (TLTE)
  • June 24 (Matterialize)
  • June 20 (Ante)
  • June 18 (TLTE)
  • June 16 (Ford)
  • June 13 (CM)
  • June 11 (Krig)
  • June 10 (Noble)
  • June 09 (TLTE)
  • June 06 (Geb - BUMP)
  • May 31 (Ante, Geb)
  • May 30 (TLTE, CM)
  • May 28 (Flirbnic)
  • May 23 (Ante, TLTE)
  • May 22 (Geb)
  • May 19 (Geb - BUMP)
  • May 13 (Geb)
  • May 12 (Noble)
  • May 11 (TLTE)
  • May 08 (Jim7)
  • May 07 (Geb)
  • May 03 (Ford, TLTE, Krig)
  • May 02 (TLTE)
  • April 30 (Noble, Geb, Krig)

You all can figure out your own posting habits from this, but more importantly to me, we seem to be averaging about 3 months a page, when at least in the early NeS pages it was averaging closer to 1 month a page. As soon as I am able to post a synopsis of the idea behind the current storyarc on the update section (which should be soon), I fully intend to hunt for new blood. We need it. I hope you all will do the same as well. It's not good for writers like TLTE (nearly a 1/3 of the posts in the past 2 pages have been his) to be in danger of burning out, carrying the story for the rest of us (hint: you all should be praising TLTE right now). Krig, for crying out loud, SAY SOMETHING. You know, you can let us know you're alive and still stay a hermit. I know how much you like it :p

Unless someone else wanted a go at it, I think my next post will involve Otter in some way. Hopefully I can post it tomorrow. We'll see.
2005-10-05, 9:19 AM #536
And then the Procrastination God came and smote Gettleburger for his lack of posting, and there was much smiting happening at the time so it went unnoticed in the general scheme of things. That is, until Jesus caught wind of The Procrastinator's plot to destroy all NeS writers for not getting anything close to done.

I got bored. ^
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2005-10-05, 1:00 PM #537
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been posting lately, my computer's been on the fritz for some time. I'm suffering from serious Internet withdrawl, it's horrible. Anyway, I'm posting this from the local computer repair shop/laundromat (what convenience!), and hopefully I'll have my computer back by this evening. Tomorrow at the latest.

One of the first things I intend to do is post for NeS.

Nag me if I don't.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2005-10-05, 5:51 PM #538
It's a race! I'm weening! I'm weening! [/Rat Race]
2005-10-05, 11:07 PM #539
Egads. Poor viking. Don't worry about making a storypost on NeS your first priority... you should do a NeS comic first ;)

/gebs it from the smashing of the viking

(I've been such a meanie)
2005-10-06, 2:49 AM #540
A darkened room... mist wafts over the floor, it's purpose indeterminable even from the best of literary analysts. A spotlight shines on and spotlights a figure hunched over a desk, in much the way that spotlights can. A voice seems to eminate from the gloom.

TonyTW: What's with all the sudden darkness and the indeterminatwe mist? Oh... spelunk...

Powers That Be: Let's see... Tony? Tony the Writer?

TonyTW: Um... aye?

PTB: We see you've posted all of... once over the last two pages.

TonyTW: Yeah...

PTB: You ought to write some more.

TonyTW: I know. But I'm doing things like personal statements. On the plus side, I have mentioned you lot, which may or may not be a good thing.

PTB: Right. You suck. Get back to writing.

TonyTW: Yessir!!

---

OK, I'm bored too. I'm at school and trying to write said personal statement, which isn't going sublimely well. Can you use sublime? Who spelunking knows. But yes, I'm still alive for those who care, and I do still read. Maybe one day, when the UCAS stuff is fin ished with for now, I might gety a break and post. So nyaaaaaaah!!
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-10-11, 12:38 PM #541
Hey, sorry i haven't written soon, i may soon (seriously). But i jsut came upon something very interesting. I don;t think SAJN played this on the radio, but one of Masterplan's new songs, "Into the Arena" (yes, the title was a big part of the reason) reminded me a lot of the end of page 50. Unfortunatly, i think the full effect is obviously much better when lsitening to the song, but these are the lyrics, and how i think they apply:

Into The Arena - Masterplan

(TLTE)
No one knows the way
It's all a secret
Hunt for knowledge
On your journey home
Gotta fight for freedom, independent power
Living for now, trying somehow
Praying for the day

She's a blazer
I'm a soul chaser
We'll keep on searching for more
Cruising this firestorm
Burn till it's over
Leading our ship to the core

(chorus)
Go, aim for the centre, explode
Till you fall out of time

(Ante)
Nothing's new, we wonder 'bout our fathers
Try to learn from what they made of life

(Geb)
Like a gladiator, you're a broken hero
Building your shield for the battlefield
There's no easy way

(CM, sorta)
Cruising this firestorm
Burn till it's over
Leading our ship to the core

(chorus)
Go, we aim for the center
Explode, gonna fight for our lives
Into the arena we go,
Till we fall out of time

(TLTE)
She's a blazer
I'm a soul chaser
We'll keep on searching for more
Cruising this firestorm... burning
Leading our ship to the core... yeah

Just found that sorta intersting. also, if we ever do read bits of the NeS for massassi radio, this could be a good opener :o (well, for post 1999. its a bit too heavy for normal parts)
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2005-10-11, 6:56 PM #542
Very cool indeed. Good find, Noble.

Oh, and I know the onus is on me to describe what happens next in the TLTE/Ante/CM etc plotline - as soon as this assessment week is over, I'm right onto it.
2005-10-16, 12:04 PM #543
NeS writers: as you may know, Massassi has started a Massassi Radio thing -- news of it is on the Massassi main page. There's been expressed interest in reading NeS on it, so I made a thread in the general discussion forum concerning it, as well as requesting for new writers.

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=36571

So go over there and post! Help out! Etc. etc. etc.
2005-10-17, 10:25 AM #544
So, today I decided to throw all my dice around the board. I just had to cash in on Sarn missing the spelunking. I like to think that I took a bit of a lighter tone with this one, while still throwing in some conspiracy and more loose ends to play with like kittens on crack. Perhaps next time I post I'll actually do something with the people who I've been thinking out neat little plans to play with (namely the folks visiting Senor Thand).

Also, I would like to point out that our little villain arc that I've proposed could be a welcome break from the constant pounding at the same drawn out stuff.
Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt.
2005-10-28, 1:50 PM #545
i WILL make a post soon. i promise.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2005-10-30, 6:20 AM #546
Massive post...deleted accidentally...bare moments before it was posted. I've lost the will to live.
2005-10-30, 9:18 AM #547
.... you can't be serious..... :( poor TLTE :(:(:(
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2005-11-02, 2:17 AM #548
Ouch. That sucks TLTE. Let this be a lesson to all you: don't follow my example and save your work! Then you'll be sad like TLTE.

Don't you worry much TLTE, or Ford and Noble for that matter. We seem to have had the fortune of an influx of new writers:

-Sarn Cadrill (return writer)
-Gettleburger (return writer)
-West Wind
-Voodoosnowflakes
-Sok Munkey
-Majiir

And there may be more on the way. We'll see how long this lasts ;)

BTW, I updated the update section. I was hoping to make a post myself, but it's late and I should sleep :(
2005-11-02, 11:58 PM #549
Ok, I am new to this NeS thing, so I might be out of line here, but this seems to be the place to discuss where NeSquared is going.

I have a request for writers of NeS:

Feel free to use the Detective Character I created in my last post, and/or write about his investigation. I do however have one request regarding the Detective, DO NOT LET HIM SMOKE!

He should always have a pack of cigarettes, and will often play with them, chew them, just leave them drooping out of his mouth. But do not let him light up. I have a few ideas and am saving this as a little ace in the hole for the future.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-11-03, 12:50 AM #550
I also created a Character Sheet for Hawthorne over on the ISB character thread. This is not set in stone at all.

If you care, you can see the sheet here.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either

2005-11-03, 1:48 AM #551
Coolbeans. I added the link to the update section, and updated it.

You new guys are doing pretty good. Don't take offense at my last post -- I just wanted to clarify that the Geb with you all is in fact a sort of evil Geb from a parallel dimension, known either as Gebiyl or Shattered Geb, and wrote a post tackling ways around the apparent "problem" that the good, normal Geb seemed to be with you guys instead. See the update section.

Since the recent events surrounding Geb/S. Geb are confusing, if you all have questions, ask them, and I, or someone else, will clarify :) Don't worry about it too much though, NeS is beautiful in its craziness ;)
2005-11-03, 11:35 AM #552
Yeah, I was trying to figure this whole Geb/Gebiyl thing out.

Let me make sure I understand:
Gebiyl is the EVIL version of Geb.
Right now Gebiyl's mind is in Geb's body, which is traveling with our "heroes". Yea?

Finaly, just a fiew further quesions:

Since Gebiyl is Geb's evil twin, I take it they look identicle?
I am guessing that Geb's mind is in Gebiyl's body, yes?
Are either Gebiyl or Geb native to the planet/dimension the story is currently taking place in, or do we even know?

Also, Morris and Ares are evil, right?

2005-11-03, 2:01 PM #553
[QUOTE=West Wind]Yeah, I was trying to figure this whole Geb/Gebiyl thing out.

Let me make sure I understand:
Gebiyl is the EVIL version of Geb.
Right now Gebiyl's mind is in Geb's body, which is traveling with our "heroes". Yea?[/quote]

Correctomundo. Well, nitpick -- Gebiyl isn't wholly evil, he's chosen to be a villian instead of a hero "for the sake of the story." It's easier just to think of him as Evil though.

Quote:
Finaly, just a fiew further quesions:

Since Gebiyl is Geb's evil twin, I take it they look identicle?

Pretty much, though they tend to wear different clothes, and Gebiyl (in his own body) has one mechanical hand now, gloved over.

Quote:
I am guessing that Geb's mind is in Gebiyl's body, yes?

Yup.

Quote:
Are either Gebiyl or Geb native to the planet/dimension the story is currently taking place in, or do we even know?

Both Geb and Gebiyl have the same history/were the same person until after page 50/start of NeSquared. They both come from Earth (as do most NeS characters) and from the "prime" NeS thread, technically (as oppose to, say, CookedHaggis, who comes from the realm of TACC). However, it's more commonly accepted to say that Gebiyl comes from NeShattered, which is a post-apocalyptic type version of NeS itself, having formed and split from the "prime" NeS dimension/thread/whathaveyou after page 50/start of NeSquared. You don't need to read it (I warn you if you do) -- all you need to know is that, in NeShattered, the Gebohq there made himself a villian and ruler of NeShattered, then made his way to the "prime" NeS (NeSquared now) to continue his villianous ways. Gebiyl has a character sheet available, which needs to be updated some.

Quote:
Also, Morris and Ares are evil, right?

Yes, mostly. They're not quite the evilest of the evil as far as NeS is concerned (that's reserved for forces like the Ever-ending Plot, aka EeP, that wish to stop the NeS), but like Gebiyl, they like to screw around with the heroes. They all have their own agendas, sometimes worse sometimes mundane.

<rambling>You may be interested to know that both Ares and Morris were also former Protectors of the Plotfractal (they were broken of that position after page 50). Being a Protectors basically meant causing chaos and conflict in the NeS so that it would continue to exist, never letting Good (the heroes) or Evil (forces like the EeP) utterly dominate. The original 5 were:

Ares (war)
Morris (famine)
Rob X (death)
Cthulhu (pestilence)
Jim7 (the devil)

With the exception of Ares being a god of war and Jim Seven being ruler of hell, they're not strickly the horsemen -- Morris's unstoppable hunger and Cthulhu's mind-infesting ways just made assigning such convinient and whatnot (fun fact: Rob X's writer also "ressurected" NeS back on page 1. Without him, NeS could have very well died).

Currently, there are no identified Protectors. Though Gebiyl was offered the position and accepted, he has since been harboring what remains of the EeP, so his position is likely revoked, at least until he rids himself of the EeP. With there being two "Hands" of NeS now (formerly there was only one, Kirby, but with the death of him and Qwerty, the two mixed and ressurected as Bhac and Mayaal), Protectors may not be needed anymore, since they can fufill the Protectors' main purpose, so it seems.</rambling>

ANYWAY, I'm finished rambling. Hopefully that answered your questions, and didn't confuse you any.
2005-11-03, 3:05 PM #554
Now, what do you guys know about Sarn/capt. cadpill? Me and WestWind were talking about it last night. I heard that the Capt. Cadpill story was pruned, so no use trying to find the back story, but what about his character? something to work with when trying to write about him? I don't think I saw a bio in the character thread.

Oh, btw, I posted a bio on Sok Munkey on the ISB Character sheet right here for all the NeSquared writers.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2005-11-03, 3:31 PM #555
I think Sarn was mistaken: the ISB has never been pruned, and has only lost the original spooky taco thread because it was moved to the Forum of ******, which was lost.

New Crazy Story

Captain Cadpill Returns

It's basically a parody of Star Trek, with Sarn's character the equivilant of Captain Kirk.
2005-11-03, 3:51 PM #556
I'll field that. [oh wow, it's there! You rock GEB!]

Captain Cadpill is a hero starship captain for the race of Homosapients. He leads his crew against the evil Dr Wass, who is bent on enslaving the Hemosapients. He's insanely full of himself, but ultimately completely incompetent. He has a knack for screwing up very carefully laid plans (rarely laid carefully by himself), where all he needs to do is give the final step (ie, push the flashing red button, and he pushes the green button, or visa verca). He promotes and encourages people that stroke his ego, and demotes and shuns people that are actually competent but point out his errors. He doesn't actually exist in NeS, but Sarn_Cadrill the hero has Multiple Personality Disorder and thus thinks he's Captain Cadpill at times. Other times, he sees himself as Sarn_Cadrill the hero. As a hero, he is also rather full of himself, but he's actually marginally capable, though he is known to lie about things to make himself look better.

I'm going to try and see if I have the Adventures of Captain Cadpill saved somewhere on my hard drive, and if I do, I'll put it into a .doc file and upload it somewhere. [nevermind, Geb found it]

Also, Geb. You might think about including gender in the bios on page 1. Most of them are pretty self-explanatory, but not all.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-11-03, 4:25 PM #557
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Also, Geb. You might think about including gender in the bios on page 1. Most of them are pretty self-explanatory, but not all.

Gender is included in the sample character sheet. Whether people include them or not is another matter.

EDIT: Oh, page 1 of the NeS workshop, duh. Good call. I made note of each character's gender now.
2005-11-03, 6:49 PM #558
Oh and for the record, Tracer calls Captain Cadpill "Capdill" in the first few posts... For clarification it should be Cadpill.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-11-03, 7:33 PM #559
I'm glad that the cogs around here seem to be grinding again. In case anyone was wondering, I am going to rewrite my doomed post of a few days ago, but I'm in the middle of end-of-year exams now, so that's another fun item to add to my agenda. Essentially Thand will point TLTE, Ante and the newly betrothed CM and Mimiru to the next great obstacle, where they will try to work out a) where Gebohq is and b) who the mastermind between the latest attempts on their life is.
2005-11-05, 9:08 PM #560
Hey voodoo...

I just want you to know that your last post...

While short...

Was AWESOME! You had me laughing out loud for seriously five minutes. Please keep coming back!

↑ Up to the top!